Request an analog on Roland's Facebook page!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Re: Request an analog on Roland's Facebook page!

Post by Walter Ego » Tue May 21, 2013 3:31 am

vin14 wrote:I'm not going to request anything, like it would help! However it wouldn't surprise me if they jump on the bandwagon. After the sucess of the Minibrute and the impending success of the MS-20 mini, a new SH101 would be my guess. At the end of the day these companies exist to make money.
Yes, but the bigger the company is, the harder it is to move in a new direction (even if it's an old direction). Think about how long it takes for a new form of communication or technology to take hold. AT&T has been dying a slow death for over a decade now, desperately trying to hang on to their ancient infrastructure. They were one of the last to accept that cellphones were the future.

Couple that with the fact that (this has been said before) Roland seem like a company that is bent on the future, so I can see how it would be counter-intuitive for them to revive something from the past, while also being very hesitant to halt in their tracks. I just don't think it would make sense to them. I get the real sense they have a fairly different ethos and philosophy from Korg. Korg seems still tied to the original mission of its founder, and still in contact with its original designers. Roland?

And how come no one's asking Yamaha to resurrect the CS family? And also this...is there any product Yamaha does not make?
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Tue May 21, 2013 3:42 am

Walter Ego wrote: Couple that with the fact that (this has been said before) Roland seem like a company that is bent on the future, so I can see how it would be counter-intuitive for them to revive something from the past, while also being very hesitant to halt in their tracks.
Analog synthesis "becomes popular" sometime between 1968-1971
(arguably of course... I pick my date from when people started picking up on the Minimoog being cool)

Digital synthesis becomes popular sometime around 1983

Current date 2013

Aren't both from the past? I mean we are speaking of a period little over a decade between the two 'revolutions'...
‹‡›

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Tue May 21, 2013 3:47 am

phesago wrote: no, its people like you <3

here's a reference, or two, to help gain insight into my post(if it will help you, as it seems that youre close to retarded)
Whatever man, your hate post is trying to imply that you know better to not do something like this? But I can tell you that companies do pay attention to what people request, current trends, musical landscape whatever...somebody on this forum said that Yamaha once listened to what people want and made things, so something like that has worked before, so it's worth trying even though its highly unlikely Roland would take it seriously. Novation added a "Your Dream Product" thread.

Roland have done surveys, Korg did a monotribe survey last year that was linked on their Facebook. So it's worth trying, you know? From what I've seen there's been a ton of discussions about Roland analog on forums but hardly any direct company requests, it could work.

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Tue May 21, 2013 4:01 am

Walter Ego wrote:
vin14 wrote: And how come no one's asking Yamaha to resurrect the CS family? And also this...is there any product Yamaha does not make?
Yeah I thought about that also, I think once Roland makes something people will turn on Yamaha hehe.

Actually someone emailed Yamaha like a year ago and suggested analog and the reply was that they would pass it on to some other department or something like that.

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Tue May 21, 2013 4:13 am

volumetrik wrote:
phesago wrote: no, its people like you <3

here's a reference, or two, to help gain insight into my post(if it will help you, as it seems that youre close to retarded)
Whatever man....
I still see that you're incapable of understanding even the simplest thing, sarcasm included *facepalm*

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Tue May 21, 2013 4:56 am

ok kids. i hadn't given a s**t about this thread until now. quit it.

yes, it would be sweet if roland followed korg and got back into analog. they definitely don't need to though, so it'll be up to them regardless of requests. let's leave it at that. go back to daydreaming about what we'd hope it would be if it happened, just don't get those hopes up too high.

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Tue May 21, 2013 5:52 am

I'd like to chime in and say, it's definitely not a bad idea to request-- if enough people did it it might convince them they'd have enough guaranteed sales. I think you'll see in the next couple of years they WILL get back on the analog bandwagon-- the quotes coming out of the company seemed to have shifted from "no, never" to "maybe".

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue May 21, 2013 6:06 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:If Roland wants to come close to the sound and flexibility of the MS-20, it's going to have to release something like the 5 or the 7.
That would be pretty cool.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue May 21, 2013 6:42 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:... the f**k SH-101? A really simple plastic synth released at a point where literally everything on the market was more desirable, more powerful, and more popular... simply because some losers could only afford it YEARS after it had been rejected by the synth-playing public, and used it to make music you like?
err, are you trying to offend people by calling fantastic producers such as Aphex Twin and Squarepusher losers? Really? :lol:

From someone that obviously appreciates others respect for music, I would have expected more.

Yes the 101 is simple, so is the minimoog which has also been eclipsed in many ways. What's your point? :roll:

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Tue May 21, 2013 7:10 am

called you all kids before, not at all working it up to gentlemen...

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:20 am

It's more about respect for other people's opinions/tastes, but yeah I digress, moving on.

To the original topic, It will be interesting to see what happens :)

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue May 21, 2013 11:37 am

We want analog! We want analog!
No f**k money to buy it, but we want analog!

Let´s take action and request an analog to ROLAND today!
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue May 21, 2013 12:34 pm

adhmzaiusz wrote:
Walter Ego wrote: Couple that with the fact that (this has been said before) Roland seem like a company that is bent on the future, so I can see how it would be counter-intuitive for them to revive something from the past, while also being very hesitant to halt in their tracks.
(arguably of course... I pick my date from when people started picking up on the Minimoog being cool)

Current date 2013

Aren't both from the past? I mean we are speaking of a period little over a decade between the two 'revolutions'...
You're oversimplifying things to the point where they don't mean anything anymore.

A more accurate list would be:
- VCO analogue
- VCO analogue with patch memory
- DCO analogue
- digital FM
- LA synthesis
- Sample and synthesis
- Physical modeling
- Virtual analogue
- Whatever you class Variphrase, Autotune, Live's pitch algorithms etc as.

There have been a lot of developments since the first digital synth was made, many of them could be classed as a revolution. Nobody here is saying that if Roland aren't working on an analogue synth they'll be working on a DX7 equivalent. ;)

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Tue May 21, 2013 6:27 pm

adhmzaiusz wrote:

Current date 2013

Okay, I knew this would just turn into an exercise in nitpicking...

My point is not about analog vs. digital revolutions--at this point, Roland has also moved on from the D50 and its successors.

My point is about the current renewed in the sound and feel of analog synthesis, and whether or not Roland would actually resurrect a long-abandoned part of their legacy. Their attempts to do so in the 90s were not totally fruitless, but they pale in comparison to their namesakes...JP8K is great, but it's no Jupiter 8. SH-32 is interesting (I just nabbed one) but it's no SH synth. MC-303 is...well...I don't have one, so I shouldn't comment, but it's no TB-303/MC-202. Anyway, you get the point. And now, in the third generation removed from the originals, we have Junos and Jupiters whose only connection to the originals is the name, and in some cases, the paint job. I would find it very hard to believe that a company as big as Roland will listen to a few geeks, or even a few hundred thousand, if it means complete upheaval in the company. They've been on their current trajectory for some time, and it seems to be working for them (although I hear rumors to the contrary).

Anyway, it's a nice idea--reissues of their 70s classics would be awesome, but I think in their minds, they are still doing the same thing they've been doing all along: making keyboards with a wide appeal that performing musicians will buy, not synth geeks, just keyboard players.

Korg has truly done something unprecedented, and I wouldn't expect other companies to follow suit. They're really the only one of the big three in Japan that has consistently stayed loyal to a smaller synth enthusiast community, and at this moment, they are probably really glad they did.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Voodoo Ray
Gear:
Akai
Waldorf
Roland
Yamaha

Post by Voodoo Ray » Tue May 21, 2013 6:50 pm