Yamaha VL1/VL7

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
cornutt
Gear: 6th

Re: Yamaha VL1/VL7

Post by cornutt » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:29 pm

If I'm not badly mistaken, the Jupiter-80 is based on a physical modelling architecture. Unfortunately, it appears that the interface doesn't give you any access to the guts of the engine.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

gordwiebe
Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Post by gordwiebe » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:00 pm

wait a sec... I just replied to the wrong thread. ON THE WRONG SITE as well!
nevermind.

doctordoctor

Post by doctordoctor » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:16 pm

Found this thread and conscious it's over a year old so apologies for resurrecting it... but if anyone's interested I'm looking to sell my VL7 v2 keyboard.

jmcdough

Post by jmcdough » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:14 pm

CS_TBL wrote: http://www.tecontrol.se

I did find these. One with traditional mini jack connector, the other using USB. But they're merely for sale at their own shop, not sure you can order them from your local shop.
Wow, the USB device is mind blowing!Didn't even know such a thing existed. There are some fantastic videos out there... I have emailed the company to ask if it's possible to get one with analog output.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:50 pm

Ordered one! The latest model which also has a bite sensor, so it actually sends out two CC-values. Gotta try this with FM8.. ^_^
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

zztops

Post by zztops » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:17 pm

I have been very pleased with the breath controller designed by Kelfar Technologies (http://kelfar.net/BCK-1.htm). My BC3 got damaged in a move and this has been a replacement that is great, includes gain and offset knobs, a detachable lanyard and a mounting kit in case you don't want it to get in the way of headphones (but you can mount to a headset if you like). Have been using it with PLG150-VL in an S90ES.

jcn7
Gear: K2500, Vsynth, Karp, Prophecy, Volcas, Monotribes, Oasys PCI, Oberheim Matrix, SEMs, Nord Drums, Microbrute, Yamaha EX5R, + multiple Euro modulars.

Post by jcn7 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:30 pm

Well I have had the Yamaha VL1, VL7, VL70m and the EX5m and I only now have the EX5m, but I can tell you that as a former trumpet player these machines when stimulated properly with a breath controller are simply amazing. While I find the woodwinds better than the brass they are all wonderful and the main thing is that they are expressive!

Having a breath controller is IMHO essential to get realism out of any synth.

I currently use Wallander Instruments (Brass and Woodwinds) (found here: http://www.wallanderinstruments.com) and have found that to be IMHO much better than any sample library...however to be honest I will "sprinkle" and layer lightly some wind/brass samples from time to time when it seems best to. Again though the key here is to use a breath controller.

Here are some examples of my work using an old Yamaha BC1 and Wallander Instruments...I play each part live (no Midi sequencing) and record layer after layer to achieve the results:

1) https://soundcloud.com/jcn7/creation-day-6-and-7
2) https://soundcloud.com/jcn7/kingdom-come-revision-777
3) https://soundcloud.com/jcn7/one-in-paradise-part-1

I also use and love my EX5m though in particular for ethnic wind instruments...they are amazing and can do things that even Wallander Instruments can not.

With the new line of Yamaha reface instruments being made I'd love to see them come out with a VL version...I'd sure buy it!

Anyway, hope I didn't digress here, but just wanted you all to know there are other cool things out there like Wallander Instruments that can really provide a lot of bang for the buck!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:40 pm

I have zero idea what a breath controller is supposed to be used for. So it's not essential for me.

jcn7
Gear: K2500, Vsynth, Karp, Prophecy, Volcas, Monotribes, Oasys PCI, Oberheim Matrix, SEMs, Nord Drums, Microbrute, Yamaha EX5R, + multiple Euro modulars.

Post by jcn7 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:05 pm

Bitexion wrote:I have zero idea what a breath controller is supposed to be used for. So it's not essential for me.

A breath controller can be used as a real time controller to controll any Midi or combination of Midi controllers (or even CV control given the right bc coltroller) by blowing into it just like you would a mouthpiece on a brass/wind instrument. You can then articulate your synth parameters such as filter cutoff, volume, etc...using brass and wind techniques which can make them sound alive and in many cases accoustic.

desmond

Post by desmond » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:59 pm

An EX5 just sold on ebay for £102.

Crazy...

abruzzi

Post by abruzzi » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:16 pm

Bitexion wrote:I have zero idea what a breath controller is supposed to be used for. So it's not essential for me.
On a VL1, most of the patches make no sound at all without a breath controller.* The model needs energy to resonate, and while you could design it so an ADSR specified the energy level, the VL1 uses the breath controller for most patches. Think of the BC as an infinite point ADSR that is constantly variable. On the VL1 the energy put into the system via the BC also does much more than volume. Some patches go a tiny bit sharp if you blow real hard, some get much brighter. It's a bit of a revelation to be able to hold down a note on the keyboard with no sound, then play the fingered note with your mouth and tongue.

The VL1 is by far the most playable instrument I've ever owned. It responds to performance input like an acoustic instrument.

* There is a global setting to allow those sounds to work without a breath controller, but it makes them dead and boring.

jkorchok

Post by jkorchok » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:29 pm

A new librarian program is available for the VL1/VL1m/VL7 synthesizers and a new patch editor is in development. You can read more about these here: http://johnkorchok.com/VL1.html