Nik Kershaw "Know How" brass sound?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
rodgre
Gear: Roland GR-300, RS-09, Korg Mono/Poly, Monotron, Moog MG-1, Casio CZ-101, Arp Avatar, Moog Etherwave Theremin, Baldwin Syntha Sound, Alesis Micron.
Band: The Curtain Society

Nik Kershaw "Know How" brass sound?

Post by rodgre » Mon May 27, 2013 7:28 pm

Since I first heard this song, I have loved the sound of the huge brass synth in the middle and end of "Know How" off Nik Kershaw's Riddle album. I would love to know what was used. I always assumed it was a Jupiter, and possibly a patch with a fifth added to it (or just super complex chords?). This would be 84, so that should narrow down what it could be?

Here is the only version I could find online. The album version is a bit fatter than this, but it's definitely the basis of the sound. It starts at 2:29 and happens again at the outro.

I realize that they have to be playing to a backing tape, as there are things playing that are directly off the record, and no one is playing the parts on stage, but the vocal and the part I am interested in are live.

Roger
Roland GR-300, RS-09, Korg Mono/Poly, Monotron, Moog MG-1, Casio CZ-101, Arp Avatar, Moog Etherwave Theremin, Baldwin Syntha Sound, Alesis Micron.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Re: Nik Kershaw "Know How" brass sound?

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon May 27, 2013 7:31 pm

Yeha, sounds just like a good thick brass with some pitch bending accents at the start of the chords

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Tue May 28, 2013 2:42 am

It's just 7th chords and pitch LFO surely.

Musicmanlv
Gear: Korg Kronos X 88 & 61,M1R EX,King Korg,MS20 mini,Jupiter 80,Integra7,MKS70,D550,TX802,PC3K6, Electribe SX & MX, Volca Beats, Bass, & Synth

Post by Musicmanlv » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:56 pm

The brass was a Yamaha DX7 with each note playing a 5th as well as the root note, I know this from first hand knowledge :D most of the album Nik used a Yamaha TX816 and DX7. Along with a Yamaha QX1 Sequencer ;)

rodgre
Gear: Roland GR-300, RS-09, Korg Mono/Poly, Monotron, Moog MG-1, Casio CZ-101, Arp Avatar, Moog Etherwave Theremin, Baldwin Syntha Sound, Alesis Micron.
Band: The Curtain Society

Post by rodgre » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:48 am

Thank you! I can't tell you how huge those first three NK records were for me.
Roger
Roland GR-300, RS-09, Korg Mono/Poly, Monotron, Moog MG-1, Casio CZ-101, Arp Avatar, Moog Etherwave Theremin, Baldwin Syntha Sound, Alesis Micron.