Have you ever abruptly discovered a new feature on a synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Tiger Jackson
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq ESQ-1, Microkorg, Yamaha DX100, Fizmo

Have you ever abruptly discovered a new feature on a synth

Post by Tiger Jackson » Wed May 29, 2013 5:07 am

That you owned for a while?
For instance i JUST discovered what the timbre function on the mk does. Basically allows another patch layer, 4 oscillators. I knew it was there all a long but somehow it just slipped past me through the whole year i owned it. -_- So i've been forcing myself with 2 oscillator patches the whole time. Not to say that more is always better...

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Re: Have you ever abruptly discovered a new feature on a syn

Post by Walter Ego » Wed May 29, 2013 6:31 pm

Tiger Jackson wrote:That you owned for a while?
For instance i JUST discovered what the timbre function on the mk does. Basically allows another patch layer, 4 oscillators. I knew it was there all a long but somehow it just slipped past me through the whole year i owned it. -_- So i've been forcing myself with 2 oscillator patches the whole time. Not to say that more is always better...
Usually the "abrupt" discoveries are not so abrupt for me...they have to do with abruptly reading the manual then abruptly doing what it says. I've found it's necessary for any synth whose controls are not as hands on as a Model D.

I abruptly discovered the PWM on the MK, but that was after reading the manual too. I abruptly liked what I heard though (but only one timbre was needed).

Sorry for the sarcasm... :P
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

syntheticsolutions
Gear: Rhodes 78 Mk2, Jupiter 4, Juno 6, VP-330, Prophet 600, Pro-One, CS-30, CS-50, Polysix, MonoPoly, MaxiKorg, 770, Opus 3, Odyssey mk3, Machinedrum
Band: Lunar Modular

Post by syntheticsolutions » Wed May 29, 2013 7:03 pm

Walter Ego wrote: Usually the "abrupt" discoveries are not so abrupt for me...they have to do with abruptly reading the manual then abruptly doing what it says.
I totally agree with this! This is how I discovered the Dark Time is not entirely limited to a basic 16 step sequencer :geek:
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.

Dano

Post by Dano » Wed May 29, 2013 8:20 pm

A trick I recently discovered that isn't in the manual for the E-Mu PK6 (and this would work for any of the Proteus 2000 series of modules if you use external arpeggiation since I don't think the modules have an arpeggiator) is somewhat of a work-around for the limitation of having to re-key a note for a resonance change to take effect: Set an LFO to *free-run* and patch it to resonance with a patch that has the arpeggiator turned on. You can get the effect of resonance sweeps this way. i know this is still reliant on note-on/note offs but I think the effect is good.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed May 29, 2013 10:30 pm

More than 3 oscillators isn't really "better", but you get more ways to create unique timbres, since you don't have to tie up your "main" oscillators for hard sync or FM. Just adding lots of sawtooth waves together gets mushy very quickly.

You can afford to think more like "I'll use this pair for this certain part of the sound, and this other pair for the base sound".

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Wed May 29, 2013 10:59 pm

Not really a feature, more like a unique combination of settings. In this case - have the betting stations closed their doors yet? - I'm referring to operator combinations in FM8, like ratios, operator waveforms, levels etc. ^^
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed May 29, 2013 11:13 pm

I like when I dig into a manual and discover a feature I didn't know about that solves some problem I had :thumbsup:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu May 30, 2013 3:31 am

Do you people really not read manuals? :?

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu May 30, 2013 3:36 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Do you people really not read manuals? :?
Rhetorical.

There are some boards which I have owned that you learn only by discovery. Namely, the Crumar BitOne. But I think that is a bit different than a MicroKorg. The manual for it is almost useless. I think I learned from Mad how to back up the sounds. :lol:
bonne chance

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.

Post by Walter Ego » Thu May 30, 2013 3:56 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Do you people really not read manuals? :?
I just nabbed an SH-32. There's no way around the manual with this one. I'll be spending a lot of time this summer with that manual...
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu May 30, 2013 5:07 am

I like big synth manuals. Makes me feel like the creators put some work into teaching users how to use their instrument, not just design all the circuits and plop it out there.

Even though I know how to use a subtractive synthesizer, I always read the opening chapters about sound synthesis just to hear their take on it.

The Arp2600 manual is so cute with all its handdrawn diagrams and funny cartoon drawings around the pages.

Yamaha did a masterful job on the Motif XF manual, it taught me so much I'd spend weeks figuring out on my own.

Alesis did a fine job on the Andromeda A6 manual too. Lots of pictures around the text and boxouts.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu May 30, 2013 1:06 pm

Walter Ego wrote:I just nabbed an SH-32. There's no way around the manual with this one.
Even with the manual I had trouble understanding how to do some things. Enjoy reading about using the arpeggiator :?

The reference manual for my Motif XF (one of the three manuals provided) is 255 pages long so it's a little rough reading it end to end and absorbing it all at once :roll:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego » Thu May 30, 2013 1:07 pm

Bitexion wrote:I like big synth manuals. Makes me feel like the creators put some work into teaching users how to use their instrument, not just design all the circuits and plop it out there.

Even though I know how to use a subtractive synthesizer, I always read the opening chapters about sound synthesis just to hear their take on it.

The Arp2600 manual is so cute with all its handdrawn diagrams and funny cartoon drawings around the pages.

Yamaha did a masterful job on the Motif XF manual, it taught me so much I'd spend weeks figuring out on my own.

Alesis did a fine job on the Andromeda A6 manual too. Lots of pictures around the text and boxouts.
I don't know if this is the case for other Ensoniq manuals, but the ESQ-1 manual usually makes me laugh. It's written in a nice conversational tone. You can tell the person or team who wrote it was a little off-beat, but also cared deeply about their products being used well.
Walter Ego

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego » Thu May 30, 2013 1:10 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
Walter Ego wrote:I just nabbed an SH-32. There's no way around the manual with this one.
Even with the manual I had trouble understanding how to do some things. Enjoy reading about using the arpeggiator :?
So far the arpeggiator has been pretty opaque (w/out manual). But at this point, I can't even figure out wave form selection...I have a hunch that mastery will involve getting to know these function buttons really well, which I imagine could take some time.
Walter Ego

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Fri May 31, 2013 2:34 am

Sure! I accidentally found an undocumented feature on all the Casio CZ series synthesizers.
This had to do with always retriggering the envelopes. Was playing in "solo" mode and every keypress retriggers the EG's. Noticed if I switched on the glide/portamento, but left the value at zero there was no glide. But it would now only retrigger when playing staccato, and legato notes would not retrigger. Just like the triggering on a Minimoog or Hammond percussion. Usefull if you play that style, like a bass/lead line slur where you do a slide and don't want every note to retrigger. The CZ-101/1000 had the added feature that it also did this on the "Tone Mix" mode, since only one note is played like the solo mode.
Never read that feature in any manual?