Most abused synths/tones

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: Most abused synths/tones

Post by tekkentool » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:12 am

shaft9000 wrote:yes - sidechaining has become even worse than autotune or any other recent bandwagon-atrocity you care to mention

i say HAS BECOME since it has always been known as ducking, and is readily patchable on many modular synths and old compressors as-is.
the thing is people used to use it with restraint, but combined with limiting effects in DAWs where it gets numerically maximized/crushed/blasted - the results usually end up grating and remarkably UN-dynamic.

this is because it swamps the entire f**k mix, and is used by people as - frankly, and i say this with no emotion - it's a mix-crutch.
a way to "bulk-up" the sound without improving the composition of a piece one bit.
consider this -they're cornering it rhythmically, most of the time, and it f**k up any swing potential, for one-
"appropriateness BE DAMNED...let's duck the fukr and make this s**t CUTTING EDGE!!! oh and cut anuther line fer me eh"

it's very much used with similar intent as the oft-over-used 'filtersweep build' that sounded cool in 1994 but by 1998 ? ner...
even worse, "blanket sidechaining", or B.S. as we have so much of now, is a proportionally inverse come-back-from-the-dead evil-er twin of the giant goddamned GATED SNARES of the 80s that you couldn't get away from for years on end(on the radio&MTV) unless you jammed up your ears with soundproofing material.

thankfully i rarely have to listen to the radio anymore, unless i'm in someone else's car or waiting around in a shop for help. if that's what some kids like, fine. they'll move on eventually.
so rampant sidechaining doesn't bother me. but it's not helping any of those tunes become classics any quicker, either.

Haha yeah you said it. The other day I was listening to this "Stravinsky" bloke (yeah I hadn't heard of him either) and he kept on turning down the other instruments momentarily when he wanted to draw attention to another element or instrument. I immediately was disgusted at this mixing crutch which didn't improve the composition whatsoever, it gave me a headache!

I kind of resent the idea or even the possibility that sidechaining is a mixing "crutch", I almost resent the idea that a "mixing crutch" could even exist in the first place. Most of the time if it's used as a purely mixing tool you barely even notice it, so Polka sidechaining is clearly not just a mixing tool as much as it is a compositional tool. (which should be obvious as often things will continue ducking even when there is distinctly no bassdrum playing at the time) Even if it was just for mixing to make things not muddy or muddled what's wrong with that? I could turn around and say EQ's are a mixing crutch, or compressors and limiters were crutches and honestly it would mean about as much IMO.

Y'all don't hate at tremolo on an E piano, what's wrong with sidechaining? ;)

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:56 pm

??? If you think that's what Stravinsky was doing - or even that sidechain compression is replicable with acoustic instruments, you need to have your hearing tested.
Free the Jupiter 8!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:31 pm

You are aware that you are becoming that angry old music teacher parodied in Fame? He who was on a constant crusade against popular music and only thought classical music was REAL music. So he just mocked the synth guy saying all those instruments were newfangled soulless c**p and useless.

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:16 pm

Bitexion wrote:You are aware that you are becoming that angry old music teacher parodied in Fame? He who was on a constant crusade against popular music and only thought classical music was REAL music. So he just mocked the synth guy saying all those instruments were newfangled soulless c**p and useless.
Who is this addressed to?
Free the Jupiter 8!

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:57 am

tekkentool wrote:
shaft9000 wrote:yes - sidechaining has become even worse than autotune or any other recent bandwagon-atrocity you care to mention

i say HAS BECOME since it has always been known as ducking, and is readily patchable on many modular synths and old compressors as-is.
the thing is people used to use it with restraint, but combined with limiting effects in DAWs where it gets numerically maximized/crushed/blasted - the results usually end up grating and remarkably UN-dynamic.

this is because it swamps the entire f**k mix, and is used by people as - frankly, and i say this with no emotion - it's a mix-crutch.
a way to "bulk-up" the sound without improving the composition of a piece one bit.
consider this -they're cornering it rhythmically, most of the time, and it f**k up any swing potential, for one-
"appropriateness BE DAMNED...let's duck the fukr and make this s**t CUTTING EDGE!!! oh and cut anuther line fer me eh"

it's very much used with similar intent as the oft-over-used 'filtersweep build' that sounded cool in 1994 but by 1998 ? ner...
even worse, "blanket sidechaining", or B.S. as we have so much of now, is a proportionally inverse come-back-from-the-dead evil-er twin of the giant goddamned GATED SNARES of the 80s that you couldn't get away from for years on end(on the radio&MTV) unless you jammed up your ears with soundproofing material.

thankfully i rarely have to listen to the radio anymore, unless i'm in someone else's car or waiting around in a shop for help. if that's what some kids like, fine. they'll move on eventually.
so rampant sidechaining doesn't bother me. but it's not helping any of those tunes become classics any quicker, either.

Haha yeah you said it. The other day I was listening to this "Stravinsky" bloke (yeah I hadn't heard of him either) and he kept on turning down the other instruments momentarily when he wanted to draw attention to another element or instrument. I immediately was disgusted at this mixing crutch which didn't improve the composition whatsoever, it gave me a headache!

I kind of resent the idea or even the possibility that sidechaining is a mixing "crutch", I almost resent the idea that a "mixing crutch" could even exist in the first place. Most of the time if it's used as a purely mixing tool you barely even notice it, so Polka sidechaining is clearly not just a mixing tool as much as it is a compositional tool. (which should be obvious as often things will continue ducking even when there is distinctly no bassdrum playing at the time) Even if it was just for mixing to make things not muddy or muddled what's wrong with that? I could turn around and say EQ's are a mixing crutch, or compressors and limiters were crutches and honestly it would mean about as much IMO.

Y'all don't hate at tremolo on an E piano, what's wrong with sidechaining? ;)
if you think what stravinsky did as a compositional device is anything comparable to sidechain compression as a technical effect, you may lack a fundamental musical vocabulary.

also if you think that the use of dynamics in music is a sacrelige, you probably need to turn off that velocity-lacking analog synth and go outside for some fresh air....

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)

Post by tekkentool » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:41 am

Yep you got me. I was 100% SERIOUS when I was complaining about the use of expression marks in classical music.

ted1986
Gear: DX7, DX7IIFD, CASIO VL-1

Post by ted1986 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:38 am

Yamaha DX7 presets (E.Piano, Bass.1, Marimba/Vibe)
Fairlight "Syn Vox" and "Orch Stab"
Gated reverb snare drums
And a non synth overused sound of the 80s - the moaning Fretless Bass in songs by Paul Young, Chris De Burgh, Go West etc.

mute

Post by mute » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:20 pm

Sine and Triangle waveforms. Saws are seriously way over-hyped too.. and anything but a bandpassed Square is just..ugh.. so passe'.

Has seriously no one mentioned the dubstep 'wobble' that was already tired before it went brostream?

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:48 pm

When can I start using the pan flute sound again?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:08 am

Here's the best use of a pan flute preset I've heard (Roland D-50)

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:58 am

ninja6485 wrote:When can I start using the pan flute sound again?
Right now, it's in vogue in an ironic vapor-wave kind of way. Get around it.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:10 pm

So basically, I can use the pan flute if I'm either 12, or Rick Wakeman.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:14 pm

ninja6485 wrote:So basically, I can use the pan flute if I'm either 12, or Rick Wakeman.
Yep.

BritSynths

Post by BritSynths » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:14 pm

TB-303

Hate it with a vengeance
DW8000,MS2000B,JX3P,PG200,SH-32,JV-1010,MU90R, TX81Z,CZ101,VZ8M, Drumstation,AStation,XR10,RT-232,VirusB,K4R,Proteus 2000:Oscar,PhilipRees CSF,C16,Roland Gaia, Studiologic Sledge,Quasimidi Quasar,NanoSynth,NanoBass,Korg 03/RW, SR-88

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:49 pm

BritSynths wrote:TB-303

Hate it with a vengeance
Amen to that.

Also, for the last few years, the whole circuit-bent raw-square-wave random noise thing. Congratulations, you took some piece of working equipment and bludgeoned it with a soldering iron until it makes noises like an Atari 2600 with a dirty cartridge slot. Was this supposed to prove something?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73