Most abused synths/tones

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: Most abused synths/tones

Post by tekkentool » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:11 pm

BritSynths wrote:TB-303

Hate it with a vengeance
Bumping an old thread and a bad opinion. Santa's giving you coal this year.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:54 pm

commodorejohn wrote: Also, for the last few years, the whole circuit-bent raw-square-wave random noise thing.
I don't know if it's from circuit bending specifically, but yeah, it seems like lately I am hearing a whole lot of the wide open square wave.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:31 pm

How about a basic sawtooth pad with slow attack, slow filter sweep and a phaser?

Not exclusively a synth sound but every lame rising pitch/white noise/snare roll getting faster build up in modern dance/EDM/Dubstep

i think the throwback 'raw' squarewave / atari/chip sound is partially a result of synths going from basic analog type sounds (old moog/prophet) then in the 80s/90s and up we got very fancy with wave tables/FM/oodles of effects and layering...people want to go back to simple retro/nostalgic tones (esp. kids that grew up on video games and cheesy synth soundtracks). Sort of like how electric guitar can be so overproduced - like drowned in reverb/S&H filters/phasers/ebow'd and now its sort of 'in vogue' to have a stripped down Jack White-ish pedal-into-amp sound (all depending on genre of course)

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:16 pm

Well, I don't mean just the unfiltered-square aspect of it - heck, I love my NES sounds as much as any child of the '80s. But somehow people got the idea that the kind of random, glitching pitch-jumble/looped-shift-register-noise cacophony you get from a really dirty cartridge is something anyone would want to listen to, and now there's whole DIY kits designed to produce this...huh?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:55 pm

Don´t know if it´s been mentioned yet but I hate all factory patches from Yamaha DX7 (Stratotron, for starters), Roland D50 (Fantasy), Kawai K4, Korg M1, Korg Wavestation, and Korg 01/W... once upon a time, those patches turned many promising and inventive electronic music performer into sticky goo.

Oh, and I hate sampled Fairlight patches... like disguising a Volkswagen Beetle as a Lamborghini because you can´t afford the real thing.

HAve I mentioned Roland JP-8000 Supersaw... and squealing TB-303s?

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

mute

Post by mute » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:11 am

bass is kinda tired. people should stop using bass.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:31 am

Speakin of DX7 presets..the EL.PIANO1 was used on so many pop ballads that ppl still "hate" the sound.
Funnily enough, that is also one of the presets that's easiest to change into something much better. Just by tweaking a few parameters you can get a chorus effect and thicken up the bottom, and turn up or down the "tines" sound.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:37 am

I actually quite like the DX7 piano (both EL.PIANO1 and the DX7-II's FullTines,) but man am I ever sick of its use in sappy pop ballads - it's such a good sound, it really deserves better.

Voodoo Ray
Gear:
Akai
Waldorf
Roland
Yamaha

Post by Voodoo Ray » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:31 am

Hard-sync stab.

Speaking of DX patches, sometimes it really is about context.

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:00 am

"Train" was the best DX7 preset. Always appropriate.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:20 pm

Don't know if it's mentioned, but I really hate that "Autotune"-effect.
I'll probably never tire of the 303

Jay200MPH
Gear: Currently active:
x0xb0x, MC-202, Microkorg, PSR-36, mini-KP, SA-5, JV-1010, S-760, CMU-800.
Sequenced in Impulse Tracker on a P233 w/AWE64+GUS.

Post by Jay200MPH » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:58 am

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:Don´t know if it´s been mentioned yet but I hate all factory patches from Yamaha DX7 (Stratotron, for starters), Roland D50 (Fantasy), Kawai K4, Korg M1, Korg Wavestation, and Korg 01/W... once upon a time, those patches turned many promising and inventive electronic music performer into sticky goo.

Oh, and I hate sampled Fairlight patches... like disguising a Volkswagen Beetle as a Lamborghini because you can´t afford the real thing.

HAve I mentioned Roland JP-8000 Supersaw... and squealing TB-303s?

Stephen
So, you hate when samples from one type of sampler are played through a different... type of... sampler? Okay.

Actually you seem to hate most of the last 25 years of electronic music... Maybe you should put away the synths and pick up an acoustic guitar or something.

Jay200MPH
Gear: Currently active:
x0xb0x, MC-202, Microkorg, PSR-36, mini-KP, SA-5, JV-1010, S-760, CMU-800.
Sequenced in Impulse Tracker on a P233 w/AWE64+GUS.

Post by Jay200MPH » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:09 am

I hate the sound of synth nerds on the internet whining that other synth nerds are nerds about the wrong types of synths.

Also, 'noodling'. If you've ever described what you're doing on a synth as 'noodling', I hate it. And you.

[THAT'S SARCASM.]

Wasn't this thread about 'overused and abused', not 'stuff I hate and you should too!!!1' ?

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:45 am

Jay200MPH wrote:Actually you seem to hate most of the last 25 years of electronic music... Maybe you should put away the synths and pick up an acoustic guitar or something.
This makes zero sense as a retort. Someone who doesn't like modern developments in a genre/genres should give up on them entirely? You might as well say that fans of the old Transformers cartoons who don't like the Michael Bay movies should sell off their G1 DVDs and go watch My Little Pony instead...

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:49 am

Oddly enough I don't find myself hating over used synth patches, but in most instances I hate the majority of music that utilizes them. This is especially true of the supersaw, but for some reason I find it comforting to own a synth with which I can quikly dial in that sound. I could never get into Trance, and I hate all the Ke$ha/Lady Gaga c**p that seems to make the most use of it these days, but I still feel as if the sound could be utilized in a non typical fashion. For instance I could have sworn I heard a super saw patch in one of Killing Jokes latest songs and it managed to not sound cliched or cheesy.

*edit
Of course maybe its because my greatest secret shame is that I kind of like a couple VNV Nation albums.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.