Most abused synths/tones

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Re: Most abused synths/tones

Post by CS_TBL » Thu May 30, 2013 5:15 pm

Walter Ego wrote:ORCHESTRA HIT. I've finally stopped hearing it in pop songs. Yes, I am hating on the orchestra hit. It has ALWAYS sounded cheesy and ridiculous.

Man, was the 90s the decade of the orchestra hit or what? Well, the late 80s too...
Well, I'm not sure the concept has gone, but the means to build one have changed - and with that the quality has improved. Back in the days it was all a simple one-shot sample, which sounded like a lo-fi guest sound compared to the rest of the sound palette. Nowadays we can still have 'accents' in orchestral arrangements. Call them cadences if you prefer, but they'll be constructed out of genuine layers, according to the book of orchestration. Let's say that this (3:25 onwards) would be non-annoying in my book.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Thu May 30, 2013 5:35 pm

I love the Orchestra Strike!
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Thu May 30, 2013 6:41 pm

Z wrote:[...] "Blade Runner CS-80" lead [...]
Nothing wrong with that. Gorgeous sound.

What´s pathetic is all those wanna-be CS80 impersonations executed on cheapo keyboards, like "it doesn´t take a CS80 to do this..." Give me a break...

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

ahaigh01
Gear: Juno60, JX8P, Emulator II, FZ-1 FZ-20m, TX81Z, 01W, K2000, SY77, RX11, DR110, R8M, D4, MIDIBASS, Akai CD3000, CZ1000, Atari MegaST2, Mac Classic, PC
Band: The Advance

Post by ahaigh01 » Thu May 30, 2013 7:52 pm

Ha - I just finished a song with my writing partners that features Fairlight orch hit and some other stabs... The whole song was done with 80s hardware (and a little early 90s)

Check it out here:

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Thu May 30, 2013 8:49 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:

What´s pathetic is all those wanna-be CS80 impersonations executed on cheapo keyboards, like "it doesn´t take a CS80 to do this..." Give me a break...

Stephen
That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Thu May 30, 2013 10:28 pm

Well, not a synth patch, but one thing I really hate is the auto tune effect

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Fri May 31, 2013 12:19 am

+1

I wish peeples would just go old school and use a vocoder instead.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

Jay200MPH
Gear: Currently active:
x0xb0x, MC-202, Microkorg, PSR-36, mini-KP, SA-5, JV-1010, S-760, CMU-800.
Sequenced in Impulse Tracker on a P233 w/AWE64+GUS.

Post by Jay200MPH » Fri May 31, 2013 1:39 am

Walter Ego wrote:ORCHESTRA HIT. I've finally stopped hearing it in pop songs. Yes, I am hating on the orchestra hit. It has ALWAYS sounded cheesy and ridiculous.

Man, was the 90s the decade of the orchestra hit or what? Well, the late 80s too...
Hehe, I love orchestra hits, but then I like a lot of early-'90s stupid house.

Surprised no one's mentioned the 909 handclap. That was all over everything dance/house back in the day too. Sure, it serves a purpose, but you can replace it with a lot of different sounds that work just as well. I guess if you're doing drums on a real 909 you're a bit limited in options, but if you're on a sampler/MPC there's no excuse for not grabbing something more original.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri May 31, 2013 3:24 am

I'm waiting for samples of preachers sermonizing to make a comeback.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Fri May 31, 2013 4:39 am

ahaigh01 wrote:Ha - I just finished a song with my writing partners that features Fairlight orch hit and some other stabs... The whole song was done with 80s hardware (and a little early 90s)

Check it out here:

I applaud your use of the Orchestra Hit. It's mixed better and more subtle than the ones I'm thinking of. Heck, I think Bill Leeb even snuck it into a couple Delerium tracks, but it's done much better than the Roland XP-type that I'm thinking of. But I also really hate hearing it in, say, Britney Spears songs...not that I would listen to those! :oops:
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Mac Moog
Gear: ARP 2600, Alesis A6 Andromeda, Mellotron 4000D, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg MS-10/20/700s, Kurzweil PC3K, Oberheim Matrix 12, Yamaha CS-60/AN1x

Post by Mac Moog » Fri May 31, 2013 4:58 am

Probably people trying to do some synthesized variant that sort of sounds like strings and call that a Mellotron. Usually a poor quality string sound with a sample and hold modulation on about 5%. It is so wrong. I'm not talking about those broken down old scratchy tape Mellotrons, but the brand new ones with the lush sound that is being so wrongfully and poorly copied on synths or bad samples. Nothing short of 24 bit samples will really hold a candle to a real Mellotron's half-speed brass, or 3 violins. Don't even get me started on the supposed Mellotron flute sounds going around. I've heard better farts coming out of an old monkey grinding a toy organ.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Fri May 31, 2013 5:53 am

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:

Stephen
They're like completely right though, go listen to the soundtrack again and tell me you really think the original lead is that special, it's not even that nice. It's all fizzy and harsh due to the post-processing used on it, has way too much dodgy reverb on it. Euch.

The soundtrack overall has a very nice and lush sound just not that famous lead whatsoever.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri May 31, 2013 8:16 am

"Phat" Moog bass
Lush chorusy 106 chords
Brassy CEM lead
Hi-res 303 portamento squeals

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri May 31, 2013 2:02 pm

Almost every Yamaha DX7 factory preset. Specially the E.PIANO1. Yamaha techs were kind of surprised that most of the synths that were returned for repairs had all the factory presets intact. People just didn't bother to learn how to program FM sounds, even if it was one of the best selling synths of all time, and it pretty much single handedly toppled the analog giant synths market. Most didn't even try to change the presets.

There were also several "programming the DX7" type books on the market, I have a couple of them. Yet still...
The poor Elka Synthex came out just in the middle of the new digital revolution and flopped like a fish on land.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Fri May 31, 2013 2:41 pm

Bitexion wrote:The poor Elka Synthex came out just in the middle of the new digital revolution and flopped like a fish on land.
So too with the T8, right? In fact, if I understand things correctly, the T8's bombing was the nail in the SCI coffin.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)