Most abused synths/tones

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Re: Most abused synths/tones

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:44 am

Jay200MPH wrote:I hate the sound of synth nerds on the internet whining that other synth nerds are nerds about the wrong types of synths.
yup. pretty much
Jay200MPH wrote:So, you hate when samples from one type of sampler are played through a different... type of... sampler? Okay.
+1. I would immagine the number of people who use fairlight samples wishing it were a fairlight is pretty small compared to the people who just want to cover a song as cheaply and easily as possible and still get gigs, or the people who stumbled on a fairlight sample library online and found some sounds useful. Pretty much all of the sound trashing in this thread is stupid, but this one is particularly stupid, if not outright delusional.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:22 pm

nuketifromorbit wrote: Of course maybe its because my greatest secret shame is that I kind of like a couple VNV Nation albums.
Well, sir, that is definately nothing to be ashamed about! VNV Nation rule. What are your favourite albums?

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:01 am

Hugo76 wrote:
nuketifromorbit wrote: Of course maybe its because my greatest secret shame is that I kind of like a couple VNV Nation albums.
Well, sir, that is definately nothing to be ashamed about! VNV Nation rule. What are your favourite albums?
I never listend to much beyond Praise the Fallen and Empires. I hope I'm not offending you, but I find VNV to be super cheesy. That being said I still find their particular brand of futurpop or whatever the h**l you want to call it more enjoyable than the terror ebm/aggrotech c**p that seems to dominate the current industrial/ebm scenes. Please keep in mind I'm using the term Industrial extremely loosely.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:33 pm

nuketifromorbit wrote:
Hugo76 wrote:
I never listend to much beyond Praise the Fallen and Empires. I hope I'm not offending you, but I find VNV to be super cheesy. That being said I still find their particular brand of futurpop or whatever the h**l you want to call it more enjoyable than the terror ebm/aggrotech c**p that seems to dominate the current industrial/ebm scenes. Please keep in mind I'm using the term Industrial extremely loosely.
Haha, no problem! If you like "Empires", you should definately check out "Burning Empires" (very limited edition, but available now on iTunes). It contains several remixes from "Empires"; the vocal version of the track "Saviour" is awesome, as well as the new track "Further".

I agree, though, that there's a lot of c**p out there.
Nothing will ever beat Front 242

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:43 pm

Jay200MPH wrote:[...] Maybe you should put away the synths and pick up an acoustic guitar or something.
I´ve thought about that, actually.

But I hate folk music. And I´m left-handed, and those guitars are pretty expensive for some piece of wood with six wires strung across it.

Honestly, I don´t "hate" electronic music of the past 25 years, I just dislike the sound of it and used for it. Which pretty much is everything electronic music is all about...

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Tokyo Tapes

Post by Tokyo Tapes » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:06 am

nuketifromorbit wrote:Oddly enough I don't find myself hating over used synth patches, but in most instances I hate the majority of music that utilizes them. This is especially true of the supersaw, but for some reason I find it comforting to own a synth with which I can quikly dial in that sound. I could never get into Trance, and I hate all the Ke$ha/Lady Gaga c**p that seems to make the most use of it these days, but I still feel as if the sound could be utilized in a non typical fashion. For instance I could have sworn I heard a super saw patch in one of Killing Jokes latest songs and it managed to not sound cliched or cheesy.

*edit
Of course maybe its because my greatest secret shame is that I kind of like a couple VNV Nation albums.
I believe the Killing Joke record you're talking about is Absolute Dissent, right? Well, The KJ were always band trending on mainstream lines, and made wonderful records, sometimes the trick is putting the cheesy sounds in a differente context.

Encoder

Post by Encoder » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:21 pm

Don't forget about Enigma' (and Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel) Shakuhachi from E-mu Emulator sample library. :-)

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:05 pm

commodorejohn wrote:Congratulations, you took some piece of working equipment and bludgeoned it with a soldering iron until it makes noises like an Atari 2600 with a dirty cartridge slot.
This is a bad thing? Can't be much worse than what I have to listen to at my workstation 3 hours after a second helping of refried beans. Just don't put it out front of the mix. :)

Man, there's alot of repressed hostility in this thread. If I were actually concerned, I would make a track inspired by folk music fused with an uninspired Jarre/Vangelis/Yanni mashup, using only DX7 Rhodes, side-chained kick drums on the whole mix, TB303, lots of gated snare rushes, random dubstep wobbles and pan flute melodies that people could have a nice guffaw or two at, just to prove you're all wrong and there exists some level of entertainment value in anything that makes noise.

Correction, just so you all would have to complain about something else.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Fredthehound

Post by Fredthehound » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:05 am

OK, I'll say it. The Roland Supersaw and most of the copies are freaking awesome. I missed the whole trance thing in the 90s / early 2000s and refuse to listen to Lady Kanye. Layered up 'under' with real strings/standard synth string patches, it sounds glorious, wide and glues tracks together like magic.. To me. Somehow people managed to do all sorts of things with squares/triangles/saws across all genres INCLUDING Lady Kanye and trance. I haZ a sneaking suspicion that people could do all sorts of cool stuff with this waveform as well.

Folks, it doesn't have to be at 140BPM with a gate and 4,000 pounds of cathedral/cavern reverb. I swear it's true! ;)