Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Welcome to the Pleasuredome

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ted1986
Gear: DX7, DX7IIFD, CASIO VL-1

Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Welcome to the Pleasuredome

Post by ted1986 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:13 am

Id like to know what synths were used in this synth masterpiece from 1984. I know Trevor Horn who produced FGTH used the Jupiter 8 and JX-8P. Is the pad from 10.25 onwards a JX-8P?

burnsjed
Gear: DSI Evolver Keyboard
Moog Minataur
Korg MS-20
Roland M-BD1
E-mu Vintage Keys
Procussion
Proteus 1

Re: Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Welcome to the Pleasuredome

Post by burnsjed » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:18 pm

I always thought most of the stuff Trevor Horn did with Frankie was Fairlight orientated.

antilles
Gear: Virus C, String Melody II, Triton, MS-20, M1, Juno-60, Paraphonic 505, SH-09, VK-09, JD-800, JD-990, Pro One, CS-30, SY-1, TX81Z
Band: Antilles

Post by antilles » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:13 am

As far as i know the Jupiter 8 was the main synth used on that album.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:23 am

Sounds like a lot of PPG Wave and Waveterm stuff in there, same with "Slave to the Rhythm".
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

intercorni
Band: Lustobjekt

Post by intercorni » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:13 pm

Yes PPG Equipment
PPG Wave 2.2 | 2x PPG Waveterm A | PPG PRK | Roland Jupiter-6 | Roland Juno-6 | Waldorf Microwave | Elka Rhapsody 610 | Moog Polymoog | Minimoog Model D | Casio FZ1 | h**l Modular Synthesizer
https://www.facebook.com/cornel.hecht

walkathon
Gear: LionTamer 3.1

Post by walkathon » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:26 pm

always thought it was primarily fairlight too .... semi-related, but that Red Bull / Trevor Horn lengthy interview is a must watch. Horn = demigod.

mikewelch7
Gear: DSI MEK, Rack
Manikin Memotron
Waldorf XTk
Wavestation
Roland JD-990, JD-800

Post by mikewelch7 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:51 pm

Sound on Sound profiled 'Relax' in its Classic Tracks section some time ago:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr08/a ... s_0408.htm

"About three weeks into working on 'Relax', Trevor came in after dinner one night and said, 'We're going to start again.' I couldn't believe it. This 'start again' thing was new to me. I'd always thought that you started and then you finished, and that was the record. Starting again was alien. However, Trevor looked at me and said, 'I've got a rhythm in my Linn 2 that I've had for ages, and I want to work around it."

As Horn himself described it to me in a 1994 interview for SOS, "It was like my pet drum pattern which I fiddled about with. I thought it was more like an English square dance than anything else, but when I saw the effect that this had on the guys in the band, I realized that it was probably going to be a very good dance record."

"He had three patterns and he wanted to do it live," Lipson continues. "He told me, 'The bass needs to be programmed, and I want you to play guitar, Andy to play keyboards, and JJ to get a whole load of s**t going on the Fairlight.' That's precisely what happened. Trevor had this rhythm and we just recorded it live, probably in one take. He heard the bass with this drum pattern and went, 'That's unbelievable. Let's go.' The rhythm track is what did it. We flipped out. It didn't exist, and then suddenly it did. The three patterns consisted of one that was the entire thing — hi-hat, bass drum, possibly a snare, and a little conga pattern — plus another without the congas, and then there was the fill: the 16's part where it goes mad. I think this was all done on the fly to a blank pattern, and we put it down with me playing guitar, JJ creating funny noises, Andy playing the chords and Trevor stepping through the presets. Then he called Holly and got him in to sing it there and then, that night, right in the middle of Studio One. I can't remember how many takes, but it was really quick.

"All of the effects on that song were overdubbed. The pissing sound, for instance, was Andy playing his [Roland] JP8, as were the explosions. He had a JP8 and [Roland] MC4, and he sequenced stuff as well. I myself added some guitar synth with a Roland GR300 — I think it was the second one they ever made — and Paul Rutherford did a whole load of stuff, such as the backing vocals, while JJ programmed all of the weirdness."
DSI MEK, Rack, Mopho X4,
Waldorf XTk
Wavestation
Roland JD-990, JD-800, JP 8080, Kawai SX210, Moog Voyager
http://www.myspace.com/golsf

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Post by calyx93 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:01 am

Lots of PPG system on that album.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud