10th Anniversary Minimoog Voyager Gift

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Re: 10th Anniversary Minimoog Voyager Gift

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:00 am

I wouldnt say it is cynical to the point of being unrealisitic. Maybe not about Moog, but that is certainly the way a lot of companies operate. Those rewards cards for gas or groceries operate on a similar principle. The amount of money the consumer saves is offset by the amount of information the company can glean from them. Partially demographics from the applications, but more so the shopping choices, times and frequency.
This is also the obvious reason many companies insist you only have a 30 day warranty unless you mail in the special card ( or login to a site). They want your digits!
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:02 am

mute wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote: Kenneth, it's not a free gift at all.

It is a very effective marketing tool. You want to keep contact with your customers, and you want your customers to be REPEAT customers. Having a customer's contact information is worth WAY more than a metal knob... its invaluable. You actually pay Moog for the knob with your contact information.

And that's totally fine... except you don't know that's what you're doing, and not only does Moog not tell you, they make it seem like they are doing YOU a favor. That's not awesome.
That is an incredibly cynical (and i'm a proud cynic) way to look at it. A bit exaggerated.. but with the way Moog has treated the foundation, I totally understand.
It is cynical. I totally agree. But it's not cynical because of the Foundation. It's cynical because of how things are these days. Unfortunately. :(

Don't forget. I'm the "Moog Guy."
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:00 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Don't forget. I'm the "Moog Guy."
Well, that certainly gave me a good laugh.

Here's `the Moog guy' aka MusesSlave in action pissing everybody off in the Moog Forum recently, screaming a lot and making empty promises to answer questions. Everyone agrees he didn't answer any question put to him despite his continual `ask me and I'll answer.'

Even though Marc Doty accused everyone of being ignorant and insulted them in other ways, I wouldn't have linked to this if he hadn't still been asserting his empty self-importance as `the Moog guy.'

http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.ph ... 1&start=15

MusesSlave enters on page two, and the discussion between people who didn't get any of the answers he promised continues on page three.

I haven't posted this to enter into any kind of slanging match with Marc Doty, but simply to draw attention to what the self-styled `Moog guy' has been like in the Moog forum. I remember someone here at VSE saying he brought the BMF into disrepute, even before the fiasco I've linked to on the Moog forum, so I'd guess I'm not the only person who finds his self-importance insufferable. If he'd backed off after the Moog forum fiasco and gained some much needed self-awareness I wouldn't have said anything, but as he's back to being the self-proclaimed `Moog guy' something really had to be said.
Free the Jupiter 8!

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:00 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
phesago wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:The Voyager is a hugely powerful synthesizer, and if all you're doing is clutching at the brass knob...

My favorite knobs are the headphone volume knob and the 3 mixer knobs. Not b/c the predetermined function is all too cool, but becasue pot mapping 8-) Those are th knobs I see to be uterly f**k useless past patch 101, and those knobs end up being the bad assery(most likely i only use two at a time, but there are four there to be messed with).
The mixer knobs allow you to do interesting additive things.
Fact.

I cant remember if these can be set to lfo modulation either. What makes me curious as if they have midi cc's. That would be f**k sweet. I would love to automate increases/decreases for minimal awesomeness.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:10 pm

Justa notification for the rich in NL, BE, FR or DE: 'ere be a goldy one!
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:02 pm

Bitexion wrote:Now you can finally polish your knob while playing a Minimoog
More of this please. :)

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:28 pm

Dear Sweep,

If you'd like to start a thread about what an asshole Marc Doty is, feel free to do so. I'll be glad to respond to it.
The only place anyone thinks a "fiasco" happened with the BMF is on that thread on the Moog Forum. Which is apt.

With love,
Marc Doty

P.S. Feel free to go to the Moog website, as well as their YouTube channel. I think I can find the URLs for them, if you need them. There you'll see this "self-styled Moog guy" featured in a variety of Moog-produced videos in the Moog Sound Lab. Moog has asked me to work for them on a number of occasions.

To get you started, here's the video they made of me to promote Animoog. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNGNwgGiqeM
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:00 pm

That is the weirdest spam algorithm...

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:06 pm

so you flagged it right?
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

thecolorgold
Gear: DW-8000 CZ-1 ARP Pro/DGX Tg500 LittleBoyBlue TR-626 RX120 MPC 2000XL dd-20 SPX90 MX200
A & H CMC24
Etc...

Post by thecolorgold » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:24 am

The real oversight here is why Daft Punk isn't selling a gold cutoff paired with a silver resonance knob. Duh.