Favorite Mellotron performances.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Re: Favorite Mellotron performances.

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:32 pm

it doesn't kick in until the end, it's probably a JD or Em-u instead of tape, it's 4 easy chords - but it makes the tune :)

of the usual suspects:

Starless

Watcher of the Skies

followed by Heart of the Sunrise choir/string part beginning at 0:32
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:57 pm

shaft9000 wrote:
it doesn't kick in until the end, it's probably a JD or Em-u instead of tape, it's 4 easy chords - but it makes the tune :)
Jochem Papp (Speedy J) was a keen user of the Korg Wavestation A/D during that time. Most likely the Choir patch on the A/D nicely processed.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:01 pm

smcumber wrote:
Shutoku wrote:No mention of arguably the most heard mellotron line...the flute in Strawberry Fields? Brief but iconic.

I'm not sure there is a bad mellotron line though. I have always loved the sound of them.

To be a stickler, a Chamberlin, not a Mellotron....
The Mellotron appeared on the next album Magical Mystery Tour. The bootleg copy of this contains tracks called Mellotron Music. Paul McCartney also used a Mellotron on his McCartney II album in 1980.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:06 am

smcumber wrote:
Shutoku wrote:No mention of arguably the most heard mellotron line...the flute in Strawberry Fields? Brief but iconic.

I'm not sure there is a bad mellotron line though. I have always loved the sound of them.

I've never seen any indication "Strawberry Fields" wasn't a Mellotron.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Esus

Post by Esus » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:44 am

tim gueguen wrote:
smcumber wrote:

Indeed. @ 2:29...

Nice Mark II. Wish I had one. :(

I've seen him several times, and as cheesy as he is, he's a master showman. He has that crowd in the palm of his hand.
Last edited by Esus on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OB-XaMinimoog

Post by OB-XaMinimoog » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:35 am

tim gueguen wrote:
smcumber wrote:

Yup. Strawberry Fields was a Mellotron. If I'm not mistaken, it was Paul's Mark II.

Fun fact: The Mellotron Master himself Mike Pinder introduced The Beatles to the Mellotron. They invited Mike to a recording session and he told them about it (I believe this was right before the Moodies released Days of Future Passed) and they ordered 2 Mark IIs immediately ;)

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:42 pm

One of my favourites Simon Dupree & Big Sound - Kites (can't embed the vid keep getting 403 forbidden)

"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:21 pm

I liked how progrock bands in the 70s would use the mellotron choir sound to make their crazy keyboard solos more epic.
Tony Banks of Genesis did this frequently. Here's one of my favorites:

The Mellotron kicks in with the live footage at 1:30, but you shouldn't skip directly there, the transition is awesome.
Some great drumming from Phil Collins too.
I heard The Musical Box cover this song live and the mellotron was so loud everyone around me said "woooooowww"

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:01 am

Simon Dupree and the Big Sound evolved into Gentle Giant. Here is a live performance of "Kites" with a Mellotron Mark II:
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

Penguin

Post by Penguin » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:04 am

Rolling Stones gifted founder Brian Jones played some great Mellotron parts back in the day. The strings on 2000 Lightyears From Home, the brass stabs on We Love You and the sliding flute on Jigsaw Puzzle are his doing. Very innovative.

As for Strawberry Fields Forever it was indeed a Mark II Mellotron that they used. AFAIK Lennon was the only beatle at that time who owned a Mellotron having purchased it in 65. On the song the Mellotron intro was played by Paul and the instrument used was owned by EMI. The same instrument was later used by Chris Thomas on White Album and on Harrison's solo album Wonderwall.

sammy123
Gear: Sk50D, MS2kr, DarkStar, Shruthi (3), Anushri, Meeblip, Ambika, 12U Eurorack, PreenFM, Poly61, DSS-1, DW-8k, Kawai K-3, ESQ-1, Maybe a Polaris soon...

Post by sammy123 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:10 pm

Bitexion wrote:I liked how progrock bands in the 70s would use the mellotron choir sound to make their crazy keyboard solos more epic.
Tony Banks of Genesis did this frequently. Here's one of my favorites:

The Mellotron kicks in with the live footage at 1:30, but you shouldn't skip directly there, the transition is awesome.
Some great drumming from Phil Collins too.
I heard The Musical Box cover this song live and the mellotron was so loud everyone around me said "woooooowww"

I always loved that performance in particular. I also always thought Tony had they best solo sounds. Isn't that the Arp pro-soloist? It sounds sounds so good in his hands.

Wasn't Hackett still around on this tour? Maybe he is off in the shadows somewhere.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:48 am

Yeah Hackett was still in the band at the time of this live album. He left Genesis during the mixing period in 1978, the album was recorded on the 76-77 tour with Collins alternating between drums and vocals (and sometimes both). Phil was a remarkably talented drummer, and this tour had the well-known two-drumset stage setup where another drummer would play when he was doing the singing, and they'd play in unison on solo parts.

Banks famously used the Pro-soloist because it was the only monosynth on the market that had lots of presets. He'd just switch presets in the middle of playing as you hear here, so he didn't need half a dozen monosynths just to play various sounds, he'd just flip the switch to another preset.

Here's another example from the same album. The synth solo part (starting around 2:30) is still a fan favorite, they played again it in the 90s, and as a shortened "oldschool medley" in recent concerts before Phil lost his ability to play drums due to shoulder problems (40 years of playing drums takes its toll I guess). Also shows how Banks used a phaser on the hammond organ to great effect. Hackett also shows off his "crying guitar" sound that was quite heavily processed after the keyboard solo.

Genesis has received lots of flak for changing from progrock to mainstream pop in the 80s, but realistically none of the 70s prog bands survived the market of the 80s, they all changed their sound completely, or disappeared. It was seen as "dinosaur rock". Even prominent bands like Yes changed around and got major hits with supercommercial pop rock songs.

aXL
Gear: Moog LP Stage II, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Nord Electro 3, Roland JP-8080, Akai SynthStation 49, numerous softies...
Band: Nemesis Kane

Post by aXL » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:46 pm

Will edit this and post YouTube vid once I get out of Berlin, but:

Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - "Joan of Arc (Maid of Orleans)".

That is all.
Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Disciples of the new wave, portaits in the sand...

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:08 am

ppg_wavecomputer wrote: Peter Baumann -- Haunted Heights
That is indeed a nice track

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:Cosmic Hoffmann -- Gate of Lahore (not only because I played on this one as well)
Cool. I like Hoffmann and have that album. Will pay attention next time I listen to it.