Elektron A4 love? hate? indifference?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Elektron A4 love? hate? indifference?

Post by blavatsky » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:42 pm

Noticed that once the A4 came out the thread sort of died (opposite of the minibrute/monotribe/volca lovefest).

I recently got one - my first Elektron - and I think the thing is pretty damn amazing; 4 monos, filter setup, the trig locks, really really good effects...maybe it didn't get the attention due to the price tag? Or it was really buggy at first I heard? Overshadowed a bit maybe by the new mono flood including ones to come too....

Just curious who is using it, liking/hating etc. Any tips , cool patch ideas etc would be nice too.....the Elektron-users forum is nice but its kind of slow on the posts and not as entertaining as this place

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Elektron A4 love? hate? indifference?

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:54 am

I was looking at it for a while and liked a lot about what I saw and heard but like all Elektron products, it's based around the sequencer and I really don't do much step sequencing...I'd rather just play a part on a keyboard and quantize the c**p out of it if I want that "step feel". The early OSes had issues with real-time recording into the sequencer that put me off big time...that's been fixed. In the meantime I spent more time with my Evolver and decided I'm pretty satisfied with it's synth engine already, moving to an A4 I would gain a few things and lose a few as well...

The funny thing is many people have complained about the A4's UI which I think is really slick, reminds me of the ESQ-1 where the screen shows a handful of parameters that you have immediate control over with the knobs. Having used my Evolver for years I like that interface style a lot, keeps the device compact while giving you plenty of real time control. Much nicer than something like my Moog Slim Phatty for example.

The CV sequencing is insane, if I was still using CV gear that would have tipped the scales. You get all the power of Elektron's "parameter locks" plus two MIDI syncable LFOs to control two CV synths alongside the four synth engines built in. But I have gotten rid of all my CV gear :oops:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Post by Nannerfan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:01 am

I think the Octatrack and the A4 are the best things ELEKTRON has made yet.

Some people don't get along with the UI, where as I find it to be almost like cheating... to each their own.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:08 pm

blavatsky wrote:Noticed that once the A4 came out the thread sort of died (opposite of the minibrute/monotribe/volca lovefest).
:arrow: you can buy all three of those for the price (roughly) of an A4

and any other year the A4 would be a much bigger topic of interest by default ; can you imagine the hubbub and scrutiny generated by every analog-loving slobberdog on the internet if this had emerged even 3-5 years ago?

it's just that there are ton(s!) of new analog synths coming out right now, possibly more than ever before in all recorded history, when you include the modulars.... so there's that little tidbit to consider, too.
the A4 has to share it's thunder - to a large degree due to the time it's been released in.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:43 pm

I regret trading you my a4 lol its fantastic box. My boredom with was very ill timed due to school and computer issues. The only thing i wish the would implement is dragging notes out while step sequencing(like FR sequencers). Other than that its a killer f**k machine with great features

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX

Post by blavatsky » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:13 pm

All good points....I never would have dropped the cash on one but got it in a trade w/ phesago for a MEK PE (thanks man, sorry you miss it!) so it was an easy decision...i'm also not a huge step sequencer guy (usually use a MV8800 for sequencing, thing is a beast) but the param locks/effects/tone of it really draws me in. Sadly not much time spent on it due to a 8 week old baby at the house but pretty soon I hope to use it on some tracks.

Also agree they timed the release poorly; so much other analog gear coming out and much cheaper...but the A4 using locks and effects (imo) passes alot of the competition in terms of flexibility and sound quality (although the raw oscillators w/o modulation/filters/etc aren't exactly amazing)

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:00 pm

I think maybe it's seen more of a gimmick to a lot of the purists on here? Could be wrong.

It's a beautiful piece of gear and actually really easy and intuitive. I can imagine it being tedious for key players but for people into sequencing and loops of melody it's perfect.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:51 pm

It's too expensive and too narrow I think..that's why there's no huge buzz around it. I'm a keyboard guy, I can make some nice 8-16 step sequences but that's mostly it for me re: sequencers

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:57 am

Some people don't get along with the UI, where as I find it to be almost like cheating... to each their own.

Do you have any audio of stuff you've made with it? Or video of you jamming?
Are you doing whole songs in the box or sequencing other stuff?
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:15 am

Bitexion wrote:It's too expensive and too narrow I think
While you're entitled to your opinion I think that the majority would say these comments are very wide of the mark. As far as the price, it's a four voice multitimbral analogue synth with 2 VCOs and two filters per voice with the most advanced sequencer ever on an analogue synth, effects per voice and four CV outputs for sequencing and clocking external gear. The closest thing to that is the Tempest which costs a lot more, although has two extra voices. The Tetra is like a cut down version without the sequencer, CV outs and without the ability to program it easily and with DCOs and one less filter per voice and it's only $300 less. I don't know what you mean by "too narrow" but if you're talking about the range of sounds it can do I think you're mistaken there too. I've heard acidy lines from it, complex droney stuff, pretty much anything that can be done with an analogue synth. Just because you're not interested in using a sequencer (it can be played from a keyboard over midi too) doesn't mean it's not flexible. :thumbleft:

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:28 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Bitexion wrote:It's too expensive and too narrow I think
While you're entitled to your opinion I think that the majority would say these comments are very wide of the mark. As far as the price, it's a four voice multitimbral analogue synth with 2 VCOs and two filters per voice with the most advanced sequencer ever on an analogue synth, effects per voice and four CV outputs for sequencing and clocking external gear. The closest thing to that is the Tempest which costs a lot more, although has two extra voices. The Tetra is like a cut down version without the sequencer, CV outs and without the ability to program it easily and with DCOs and one less filter per voice and it's only $300 less. I don't know what you mean by "too narrow" but if you're talking about the range of sounds it can do I think you're mistaken there too. I've heard acidy lines from it, complex droney stuff, pretty much anything that can be done with an analogue synth. Just because you're not interested in using a sequencer (it can be played from a keyboard over midi too) doesn't mean it's not flexible. :thumbleft:
:agree:

Probably on eof the better items on the market currently at a price that cant be beat. Have my replacement in bound already. This thread has me feeling 1) retarded for parting wiht it, and 2) realizing that is in fact a great tool/instrument(most things dont get to be both; theyre either tools or instruments IMO).

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by blavatsky » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:53 am

it's a four voice multitimbral analogue synth with 2 VCOs
Not to be one of those vintagesynth semantic a**holes but i think its DCO (?) from their description ( I agree with everything else you said, thing is very very full featured...)

"”Both oscillators of each voice are analog, with all their elaborate waveshaping completely analog, and with their pitches controlled digitally.”"

I have not even tried it using a keyboard (runs, hides) just used the plastic keys onboard...but i bet as a multibral beast with 4 lines going its insane....also consider you could send MIDI stop/start and have param locks (for effects/env/LFO etc) going while actually playing the parts unquantized/sequenced from another device....

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by blavatsky » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:53 am

*double post
Last edited by blavatsky on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:58 am

Yet still, noone talks about it.

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:07 am

I'll talk about it. I tried it out. It's all that and a bag of chips. I will buy one as soon as I can. Luckily we have a rad shop in PDX where I could demo it. Played it for an hour, and completely taken by it.