Elektron A4 love? hate? indifference?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Re: Elektron A4 love? hate? indifference?

Post by Infinity Curve » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:12 am

Bitexion wrote:Yet still, noone talks about it.
Perhaps they're all too busy, ya know....making music with it.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:15 am

blavatsky wrote:
it's a four voice multitimbral analogue synth with 2 VCOs
Not to be one of those vintagesynth semantic a**holes but i think its DCO (?) from their description ( I agree with everything else you said, thing is very very full featured...)

"”Both oscillators of each voice are analog, with all their elaborate waveshaping completely analog, and with their pitches controlled digitally.”"
Could be, I only thought VCO because I'd read that earlier when it was just announced. The oscs do sound a lot more lively than DSI oscs though.
Maybe not here where a lot of people tend to be the type that buys a Memorymoog or PPG wave and then never turns it on, but on forums where most people make music there's a decent amount of discussion. There's a great thread on Muffs with lots of demo tracks of it.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:22 am

hyphen nation wrote:I'll talk about it. I tried it out. It's all that and a bag of chips. I will buy one as soon as I can. Luckily we have a rad shop in PDX where I could demo it. Played it for an hour, and completely taken by it.
I've been saving for a holiday so far this year but it's going to be the first thing I get when I get back (unless I find myself with a bit of spare cash by the time I get to Berlin, then I'll get one there). It's an amazing machine, so much more even than I was hoping when it was announced.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:00 am

Infinity Curve wrote:
Perhaps they're all too busy, ya know....making music with it.
Yep, I have hardly been on the web recently, i'd rather just delve into the A4 and other stuff preparing to gig.

It does not get talked about on here because it does not fit with some regular posters mindset and people like Bitexion pick up on that and talk bollocks about a machine he knows nothing about. other people will read that and the mindset will snowball.

It's the most capable synth I own but it's certainly not the be all and end all. It just complements all my other stuff perfectly.

Like anything, you need to have tried something before you can have a full opinion of it.

Bitexion: try one or shut it! ;) (no beef)

stf-ran
Gear: Voyager, DSI P12, Cubase.

Post by stf-ran » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:57 am

I'm going to buy one, maybe this fall. Can't resist. Summers are a bad time for buying gear in my household. My teacher wife is on summer break and gets the mail. I've got to be careful though, I think she is starting to suspect something is afoot.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:20 pm

haha, I know what you mean, I'm sneakily saving up for an octatrack. At least it's the same colour as the A4 so when I take it downstairs for a chilled jam she won't say "what's that new instrument?"

stf-ran
Gear: Voyager, DSI P12, Cubase.

Post by stf-ran » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:10 pm

To my wife, all keyboards look alike. But to her credit, she did notice when I got my Nord Electro. How could she miss it. "What is that and how much did it cost?"

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:00 pm

stf-ran wrote:To my wife, all keyboards look alike. But to her credit, she did notice when I got my Nord Electro.
Keep a can of black spray paint on hand for situations like that :mrgreen:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:56 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Bitexion wrote:It's too expensive and too narrow I think
The Tetra is like a cut down version without the sequencer
FWIW the Tetra has the 16 x 4 analog-style step sequencer per voice. It may not be as capable as the A4 but you get some p-lock-type options, etc. But you do need a computer to program it.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:15 pm

Yeah I had a tetra for a year or more, the sequencer on it is a mod sequencer rather than an actual sequencer that you can play like the elektron ones. Totally different beasts.

jimtheswede

Post by jimtheswede » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:11 pm

Anyone want to discuss using it with external mono analogs using the CV/Gate outs? That's mostly why I'm interested in the A4. Not that I need 4 more mono analogs - have enough already! But, using it to control my Ody/Little Brother, Slim Phatty, MiniBrute, and Dark Energy seems like it could really be fun! :D

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:06 pm

^^drag one of the many posters on youtube that use it over here for a Q&A ^^
your Oddy and DE would be damned sweet under it's wing...my phatty tribute needs an inverter for the Gate signal in-line or it 'hangs' in gate-high state when a sequence stops. why moog remains bass-ackward to everyone else in this regard... idk. :oops:
i'm not familiar w/ the 'brute but it looks plenty adequate. i'd have one if i didn't love my Solus so much
get some splitter cables w/ the A4 and go nuts!...that's a lot of extra channels of analog lines for drums, fx/stabs and more

the only elektron i have is the octatrack, but everything i've heard about this one is quite on-mark
elektron have managed to put out two doozies in a row here ~and expect some other makers to copy/follow them to a degree ~ as obvious a sign of classic/inluential piece status as any.
the only things really comparable is the spectralis, which sounds a bit better in the internal mixing and depth-of-field, but is a far more complicated UI and loaded toward a bit more usual groovebox structure, obviously

-------
Bitexion wrote:I'm a keyboard guy, I can make some nice 8-16 step sequences but that's mostly it for me re: sequencers
Bitexion, step awaaaay from the sequencer thread! C'mon...just admit you're dissing this A4 because there's no classic poly mode and move on :P
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:52 pm

I thought they were going to impliment a true poly mode?

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:55 am

*Runs for it with tail between legs*

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:51 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote: I've been saving for a holiday so far this year but it's going to be the first thing I get when I get back (unless I find myself with a bit of spare cash by the time I get to Berlin, then I'll get one there). It's an amazing machine, so much more even than I was hoping when it was announced.
Yeah. I am literally just trying to be responsible fiscally. I'm in the middle of building out my studio, and trying to make sure I am not just buying gear and leaving it in stacks unused because my space isn't finished. A4 is top priority...I may just put my Mobius on the market as a way of getting some $$$ to put towards the A4.