DSI Prophet 12 release date?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Re: DSI Prophet 12 release date?

Post by madmarkmagee » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:39 am

So not even the prices of the Korg and Roland stuff go down? In the UK?

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:27 am

madmarkmagee wrote:So not even the prices of the Korg and Roland stuff go down? In the UK?
Most Korg & Roland prices do go down eventually, usually a year or so after introduction. The more 'boutique' maker's stuff generally tends not to (but that seems to be the case worldwide).
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

White
Gear: Quite a few synths

Post by White » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:07 am

Oh dear, I was looking for a replacement for my prophet VS and DX7IID.
Duncan J. White + quite a few synths
http://www.myspace.com/stickman76590059

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:15 pm

The evolver keyboard price actually went up at one point a few years back. I bought one new and sold it at auction a year later and got about £100 extra than I paid...
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

White

Post by White » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:00 pm

Does the prophet 12 have the same sounds as the Tetra or is it a totally different sound engine?

Jinsai
Gear: Alesis Ion
JX-3P w/Kiwitechnics
Nord Lead 2
Poly Evolver Keyboard
Prophet 12
Tempest
Assorted basses, guitars, software
Band: Sid Luscious and The Pants

Post by Jinsai » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:38 pm

Totally different sound engine from all previous DSI synths, though there are some things in common with Evolver and Tetra..

Main difference is the oscillators. All previous DSI synths had DCOs, and many also had single-cycle wavetable oscillators as well.

The Prophet 12 features all-new fully digital oscillators. These will do "analog modeling" of basic waveforms. They spent quite a bit of time coming up with some DSP magic to make them sound very good for that. Based on what I've heard so far, these all-digital oscillators are more pleasing as "analog" oscillators than the DCO analog oscillators in their earlier synths.

Additionally, these do have "wavetables" and with a different implementation than previous DSI synths. Evolver and its offspring have all the Prophet-VS waves, which are all single cycles. You can pick one per note.

The Prophet 12 features a much smaller number of wavetables, but they're higher quality and larger than a single cycle. Additionally, you can set up to 3 different waves per patch and modulate or move between them. DSI says this isn't really like a Waldorf or PPG-style thing, but is more a way to get some really harmonically-interesting basic sounds. I haven't tried it myself yet.

The other main difference is the highpass filter has a resonance control. This is rather rare for subtractive hardware synthesizers (Jupiter 6 is the only one I can think of that has it).

Prophet 12 also has a "Character" section, which adds fancy/smart bass and treble EQ ("Girth" and "Air"), plus bit rate reduction AND sample rate reduction. Evolver only had bit rate reduction ("Hack").

Prophet 12 also does NOT have a 16-step sequencer, which is a change from most previous DSI synths.

There are a few other minor differences from Evolver and Tetra, but they're mostly upgrades (4 delay taps, delay is stereo now, addition of touch sliders, better modulation assignment.

That said, it still has a lot in common with other DSI synths:
- tuned feedback
- 4 oscillators (plus sub oscillator) per voice
- 4 LFOs
- Curtis analog low pass filter, 2/4 pole select, with self-oscillation resonance possible in 4 pole mode
- Extensive modulation routing

You can download the manual and read up for yourself. I'd say the manual is improved from previous DSI efforts in that it finally includes some tables containing things like what exact delay times the parameter values represent, but is still lacking lots of detail around the waveshapes themselves.
--
"A musician is someone who's heard a lot of music" - Pierre Boulez

White

Post by White » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:52 pm

I shall have to see if I can stretch my money to a DSI Prophet 12, checking out the videos on youtube, this synth sounds great.

Jinsai
JX-3P w/Kiwitechnics
Nord Lead 2
Poly Evolver Keyboard
Prophet 12
Tempest

Post by Jinsai » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:54 pm

Well, I got one. Just picked it up and then went away on a business trip. I will be spending most of my free time with it over the next few days - if you have any questions or want to see anything in particular, I will try to answer. (Please note that I am not much of a piano player, so don't expect a lot of keyboard dexterity).

What I will say is this feels and looks several steps up from DSI's previous synths. More wood, nicely painted front panel, better design all around.

The keybed is different from Evolver's, from what I can tell. Has a "real" power supply and cord, not a wall-wart.
--

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:05 pm

Jinsai wrote:Well, I got one. Just picked it up and then went away on a business trip. I will be spending most of my free time with it over the next few days - if you have any questions or want to see anything in particular, I will try to answer. (Please note that I am not much of a piano player, so don't expect a lot of keyboard dexterity).

What I will say is this feels and looks several steps up from DSI's previous synths. More wood, nicely painted front panel, better design all around.

The keybed is different from Evolver's, from what I can tell. Has a "real" power supply and cord, not a wall-wart.
i would like to hear to FM chimes and bells, some huge string sounds, and some some slow evolving wave table pads.
congratulations ! and thanks for taking the time to ask for requests
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:08 pm

I wouldn't mind a 10 minute video just going through presets and play simple chords or whatever. Very little actual examples of sounds on youtube, just interviews with DSI sales guys on youtube so far.

Also, some examples of that wavetable thing.

The only DSI retailer in my vicinity has an unconfirmed date 20th september, so I won't be playing one very soon.

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:50 pm

I'm very impressed with it thus far. It's a great synth for sonic explorations.

I wish that I could wipe out all of the presets quickly. Horrible things.

Jinsai
JX-3P w/Kiwitechnics
Nord Lead 2
Poly Evolver Keyboard
Prophet 12
Tempest

Post by Jinsai » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:47 pm

Given the focus on sound quality, would you all prefer MP3s with no video, or YouTube videos with weak sound?

I will spend some time on the above requests this weekend.

My initial impressions after a few hours:
Physical
- Build quality is by far the best DSI has put out. I would agree with others who have said this may be the best built or best feeling synth so far (though I have yet to fondle a Moog Voyager).
- I also think it is by far the best LOOKING synth I have seen in a long time. The front panel is tasteful and easy to read (and they spelled "Filter' properly this time. ;-)
- Keybed feels stiffer and shallower than Poly Evolver Keyboard, but that may also be a factor of age
- OLED screen is really nice
- Less of a crazy blinding disco light show than Poly Evolver Keyboard. Is this good or bad? ;-)

Acoustics
- I agree that so far, few of the presets have really excited me. Obviously much of this is subjective, and I haven't yet walked through all 396, but it seems like most of them do not implement all controllers (meaning no aftertouch, no slider pressure, etc.) For a synth so complex, I'd expect to see more stuff that goes full-tilt-bananas on the features and modulation.
- Seems to have a pretty good range. Can do PPG-ish/Waldorf-y digital grit really well, and the analog filters keep it interesting. Also seems to be able to do some authentic "analog" sounds.
- It sounds significantly different from Evolver (not really a surprise)
--

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:02 pm

I was joking to some degree about the presets....I suppose that they sounded ok, but I'm generally looking to start from scratch and make very untypical synth sounds. What I'd really like is for all of the slots to be filled by the 'basic patch', but it's not really a big issue because it's very fast and easy to initialize one of the presets.

matia
Gear: Forum said that I exceeded 150 characters. Here's a partial:
Serge Modular 9 pannels SMS Modular almost all modules
ARP 2600
Roland Tr 808 ....

Post by matia » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:02 pm

Bitexion wrote:I wouldn't mind a 10 minute video just going through presets and play simple chords or whatever. Very little actual examples of sounds on youtube, just interviews with DSI sales guys on youtube so far.

Also, some examples of that wavetable thing.

The only DSI retailer in my vicinity has an unconfirmed date 20th september, so I won't be playing one very soon.
here:

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:07 pm

To those who have one....
I tried modulating lfo 1 frequency with lfo 2 at the full modulation amount, and it seemed to me like the range of modulation was very small. Has anyone else tried this? Hoping for user error here...(I tried putting in the modulation several times, and the range still seemed small, and I tried both the fixed lfo modulation, as well as the main matrix) I did send dsi an email about this...