How do yo use your OP-1 teenage engineering

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mis psiquicios y yo

How do yo use your OP-1 teenage engineering

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:26 pm

The best way to use it, in my opinión, is on it´s own, sitting on a garden or a café, then transfering the track via USB to the computer and then adding another tracks on Cubase. I like mine, but it is very noisy if you try to record from the audio output, instead of the USB transfer; and also you need a computer to control it.

I think this synth is a great idea, but you have to use it on its own, what do you think?
mis psiquicos y yo
In electronic music, sequencers are as important as synths, they all modify your composition and playing

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Re: How do yo use your OP-1 teenage engineering

Post by Infinity Curve » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:54 pm

Not sure what you are talking about with the line out being noisy; I record from it all the time with no issues. The noise issue seems to be mostly with headphones at lower volumes. Through a mixer or my soundcard(motu ultralite) it is fine, quieter than a lot of the vintage gear I've used for sure. MAke sure if you are using it while hooked up via USB you go into the COM settings and disable charging or you will get AC hum coming through on the line out.

As for only using it by itself, again, I disagree. It sync's up perfectly to MTC with ableton, and is great for controlling other midi modules or VST's. I've done stuff with it all by itself, but it's just as great working with external gear.

I've been doing a lot of re-sampling and stuff with mine to create new sounds and sampled instruments. I really enjoy the sampling on it, both the drum and synth samplers; so intuitive and quick, and re-sampling is a snap. The new DNA synth and CWO effect are awesome too. I usually have it hooked up to my mixer, sync'd to my laptop(unless I am just messing around on it by itself) with something hooked up to the line in for sampling. I often do live mixes to the album rather than bouncing out the 4 individual stems, but I have also taken the stems and further manipulated in ableton as well.

I think the thing with the OP-1, you can really do whatever you want with it within it's capabilities. I find some of the synth engines more useful than others, but that's mostly down to personal preference. Some of the effects aren't much good to me, but they are all quite interesting and gives quite a bit of sonic variety when paired with the different synth modules and various LFO types.

It really is a beast, it just looks like a toy; once you dig in, you quickly realize it is anything but a toy!

It is honestly the most inspiring piece of gear I have ever used, even more so than the MPC. You can just mess around and it takes you in directions you never would have gone otherwise. And once you get a good handle on it and a decent workflow you can really make magic happen with it.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:25 pm

it's my travel toy. sorry books on planes, competition...

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:00 pm

[quote="Infinity Curve"] "MAke sure if you are using it while hooked up via USB you go into the COM settings and disable charging or you will get AC hum coming through on the line out."

GOT TO TRY THAT!!
mis psiquicos y yo
In electronic music, sequencers are as important as synths, they all modify your composition and playing

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:23 am

Aside from the three of you, who are the other two people who own this synth?

Actually, I'm just kidding – and a little jealous. It seems like an incredibly nice instrument, but I just can't justify dropping eight bills on this thing!

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:47 am

Aaron2 wrote:Aside from the three of you, who are the other two people who own this synth?

Actually, I'm just kidding – and a little jealous. It seems like an incredibly nice instrument, but I just can't justify dropping eight bills on this thing!
Put it this way, it is worth the price of about two vintage synthesizers. How much use do you give to those 2 vintage synths? now multiply that use times 10. You'll find yourself using the OP on the toilet ! So, I think that if you are into synths it is justify. A great piece of machinery.
mis psiquicos y yo

natrixgli
Gear: USB Hub, Pedalboard, Keyboard Stand, and many cables.
Band: Suboscillator

Post by natrixgli » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:01 am

Love mine. I use it by itself mostly, to come up with ideas. It's tape gets exported via USB, then cut up in Audacity. I then load up the bits in Ableton Live and arrange further. Sometimes I also record other gear to the tape so I can mangle it or add the OP1 effects. The fx are quite unique and hard to recreate elsewhere. I looks a bit silly, but underneath its hipster exterior is actually an amazingly powerful machine. I've had 56 different synths so far, this and my Tempest are by far the best I've ever had, and the only ones I never consider selling or trading.

I also use it for drums a lot. I have a Monomachine kit I made for it if anyone is interested.

https://soundcloud.com/suboscillator/el ... onomachine

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:05 am

I use mine on my private jet during those long flights to Monaco while Nicole Kidman is blowing me and Zoe Saldana is giving me a foot massage...

Then I wake up.

natrixgli
Gear: USB Hub, Pedalboard, Keyboard Stand, and many cables.
Band: Suboscillator

Post by natrixgli » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:38 pm

That's how I use mine.