Synthesiser music from 1968?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
hinotori
Gear: /A1200/CVI/SIXTRAK/
SYSTEM100&100M/CS30/SK1/NORDG2/

Re: Synthesiser music from 1968?

Post by hinotori » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:15 pm

Tristram Cary, of course, Excellent choice!

Many thanks for everyones recommendations. It seems like it was a really interesting time for electronic music.

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:36 pm

Hugo Montenegro had a hit with the theme from "The Good, Bad, and the Ugly" featuring the Moog in 1968. He released Moog Power in 1969.

d**k Hyman's album Moog: The Electric Eclectics of d**k Hyman was released in 1969 and possibly recorded in 1968. "The Minotaur" was a radio hit which sounded a lot like Keith Emerson's "Lucky Man" solo.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:41 pm

Perrey & Kingsley - Kaleidoscopic Vibrations(Moog modular and Ondioline)
Beaver & Krause - Ragnarök
Jean-Jacques Perrey - The In Sound From Way Out!

Wendy Carlos - The Well Tempered Synthesizer
d**k Hyman - The Age Of Electronicus, Moog - The Electric Eclectics Of d**k Hyman
Gershon Kingsley - Music To Moog By
Walter E. Sear - The Copper-Plated Integrated Circuit(this sounds reeeally good on vinyl!)
Mort Garson - Electronic Hair Pieces, The Wozard of Iz
White Noise - An Electric Storm
Ruth White - Flowers Of Evil

Jean-Jacques Perrey - Moog Indigo
Gershon Kingsley & Leonid Hambro - Switched On Gershwin
Beaver & Krause - In A Wild Sanctuary

Harper, La Russe(Delia Derbyshire), St. George - Electrosonic
Jean-Jacques Perrey - The Happy Moog
Ruth White - Short Circuits
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:29 am

hinotori wrote:Tristram Cary, of course, Excellent choice!
No problem at all - and it's a personal thing for me anyway because he was also an excellent choice for a composition mentor! :D
Many thanks for everyones recommendations. It seems like it was a really interesting time for electronic music.

Sure looks that way - and I'll +1 in thanking folk here for their suggestions, I've been having blast listening to all these links!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:24 am

!!!

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:09 am

Good to see that a lot of ground has already been covered, but I would add Bruce Haack's earlier stuff as well as Hans Wurman's "The Moog Strikes Bach" - a crummy name riding on SOB's success (no doubt some exec's brainchild) but a wonderfully different take on electronic classical music from 1970.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:49 pm

hinotori wrote:I'm planning on making a mix of electronic music from that year for a friends birthday, he was born in 1968. It seems an interesting year for the history of electronic music and synthesizers.

As far as I can tell Buchla, Moog and EMS were all producing synths around that year (what other companies were active then?) and wondered what recordings their products may have featured on. Aside from the classic synth records I'm also interested in Stockhausen, Dockstader and other electro acoustic / concrete composers who may have been making use of synths alongside tone generators etc... oh, and any prog/rock/funk/soul records heavy on the synth

According to some sources these records are from 1968:

Beaver & Krause - The Nonesuch Guide to Electronic Music

Douglas Leedy - Entropical Paradise
Beaver & Krause's The Nonesuch guide was indeed released in 1968, in the spring of '68 to be exact (the music was recorded in the fall of '67). Afaik it's the first commercially released album entirely recorded with a Moog. I think Leedy's Entropical Paradise hit the market in 1970 at the earliest. He did release a Moog/Buchla album called The Electric Zodiacback in '69 though.

Another electronic album released in 1968 is The Amazing New Electronic Pop Sound of Jean Jacques Perrey.
Last edited by Micke on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:58 pm

Jean-Jacques Perry, of course! Wasn't he literally the first released artist to put synths in a pop format?
Do you even post on vse bro?

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:26 pm

To the best of my knowledge Mort Garson's album The Zodiac: Cosmic Sounds has the distinction of being the first ever pop/rock
album to feature the synthesizer; in this case Paul Beaver's early Moog modular 'synthesizer III'. The album was recorded as early
as april of '67 and released the month after.

The first movie soundtrack to feature the Moog was afaik The Electric Flag's The Trip which premiered in Aug '67. The music was
recorded in May '67 -right after Zodiac Cosmic Sounds- and again Paul Beaver provided the Moog work.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:33 pm

Elmer Bernstein said in an interview that the opening score for the movie Hawaii (1966) used a Moog synthesizer.

Terry Riley's Rainbow in Curved Air should make the list, despite no synthesizers as such were used. I've always thought the date of release to be 1968.