ID this keyboard

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
OB-XaMinimoog

ID this keyboard

Post by OB-XaMinimoog » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:35 am

(I'd post this on a Piano forum but I don't feel like making an account on one just to ask this, and someone here might know)

I'd like someone to identify this Piano. It says Roland and I'm guessing its a fancy digital piano in a Grand Piano case but it looks like an acoustic Piano. I've never heard of Roland every making an Acoustic Piano, though This might be some kind of custom one off built for Rick Wakeman but I can't find any info on it for the life of me.

Either way, I think its pretty neat looking.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: ID this keyboard

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:40 am

The word Roland isn't on the piano, it's superimposed over the top of the photo.

OB-XaMinimoog

Post by OB-XaMinimoog » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:46 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:The word Roland isn't on the piano, it's superimposed over the top of the photo.
Ohhh I see it now. Hahaha duh. Didn't even notice it :oops: :lol:

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:10 am

Yep, since the Roland is mirrored backward. Looks to be a scanned magazine page, with the print from the back showing through. Cool looking piano though! All Rick needs is that clear plexi/lexan Mellotron to go with it.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:28 am

Wakeman's main instrument is the piano, so he probably got one custom-made in this plexiglass finish.

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:22 am

This was from the video clip for the track "Brother Of Mine" from the first (and only - unfortunately) Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe album. For reasons that I'm presently unable to accurately verify, last thing I recall is that it was used pretty much exclusively for the video clip, along with some publicity shots for the album. There don't appear to be any other instances of Wakeman using it. It's possibly this one by Kawai

http://kansascitypianotuning.com/pictur ... i_plexi_1/

but I also gather that Yamaha and other known piano manufacturers tried their hands at it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.

OB-XaMinimoog

Post by OB-XaMinimoog » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:13 am

After doing some research, it looks like a Schimmel Crystal Grand. Plexiglass. I guess they only made a few. I think it said at one time they even has some made out of glass! :shock:

But yeah its a very cool looking Piano. I wonder if theres any videos on it.

Aside from Mellotron, Hammond Organ, and Synths, I love Pianos. I'm not very good at them (my synth playing isn't much better either :lol: ) but I really appreciate them because they can sound either really bright, upbeat and "happy", or extremely emotional and sad, just based on how you play it. Really any keyboard can, but with a Piano to me it just does either really well. More feeling and emotion I think is what it is.