What should each company make next?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Re: What should each company make next?

Post by megamanx » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:09 am

Roland: Another work station
Yamaha: Another work station
Korg: Another work station
Moog: Another mono
DSI: A desk top/rack version of the prophet 12

Blopho
Gear: littlephatty, machinedrum, minibrute, blofelddesk. fxrrackmount

Post by Blopho » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:18 am

Roland- new analog poly for >$1k

Korg- more feature-rich version of the monotribe w/MIDI.

Yamaha- a new VA synth (or any type really)

Waldorf- the pulse 2, since they apparently aren't :roll:

Moog- I'd like to see them try 'modernizing' another vintage electronic instrument. A portable compact Ondes Martenot for example would be cool.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:45 am

i don't care who, just somebody make something that alleviates masses of cables and power strips everywhere. between power, MIDI, audio, USB and patch cables (XLR, 1/4",3.5mm, nanner) it's the highest hurdle of all hardware headaches.
So - a new standard for signal transmission between machines. it's probably decades away and would be h**l to implement industry-wide, but it will hopefully happen sooner or later.

we've got plenty of great synths already. the hurdle is making everything more playable and integrated with the flow of the moment. fewer clutter, fewer cables and for god's sake less keyboarding....and more interesting ways to express yourself than equal-tempered same-old occidental approach.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:18 am

Hardware
KORG KORG Legacy Electribe, now that the hardware electribes have gone to tiny analog boxes, it's time to put the final cap on the previous series. Scaled controller between size of the original electribes and the new larger red and blue units. USB (wist etc) MIDI controller + software, which allows the mixing and matching of components. And since it's a one-shot and we don't get the usual KORG 5-generations to add the initially EXPECTED features, MIDI in and Out and patch storage OUT THE GATE. Add CV and all kinds of sequencer goodies for the enthusiasts...if possible. $500 Max

MaxoSAMPLER microSAMPLER in full sized 61 key body with the ability to transpose, stretch all samples, internal sequencer and better internal storage system. LOTS of effects and KAOSS functionality. A modern ASR-10, to be honest. Lots of knobbage and tweakability.
---
Roland Thinking way out the box, but a workstation that has a wind and strum controllers. The flagship would have pads and keys, much like a Fantom, but it would be specially set up for external expressive inputs- so you'd have 2 separate MIDI guitar and Wind controllers to bring the best out of the new Jupiter styled sounds.And they could be used together so a digital drum set could be plugged in, 2 MIDI guitar(s) and 2 wind controllers all at once. Massive polyphony so an entire band could play with only this station in the middle. The lesser units would be smaller and have less simultaneous players.

Yamaha The opposite of a Motif. Something hugely electronic- driven. A key groovebox + drum pads with room for a Tenori touch surface. It'd have weird internal routing so you could send sequencer (arp) info to any section. Uses tone generators + multi-sampled waveforms to combine classic and experimental sounds into a futuristic groove monster-machine. Has an internal rip-off of the KARMA (if not a revamped KARMA) that generates utter weirdness that's also section specific for Drums, Synth or Surface patterns and sounds. Has a few randomizer sliders too -to generate live variations on your sequences and sounds for live performance. can also be programmed so one knob tweaks several parameters, across different sections.

Alesis Sample-based drum machine + keyboard. XR-20 + sampling with a MASSIVE system for internal storage.

Arturia MiniBrawn analog drum machine

Hardware + Software

Spectrasonics RMX II with MIDI controller.
NI Keyboard workstation Maschine
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:11 am

I forgot I made this thread, glad to see it took off. Shaft brings up a great point- the whole midi USB situation is a mess. I wish we had some way to counteract it all.

fh991586
Gear: Roland D-50 + PG-1000, JP-8080.
Korg Kaossilator, MicroKorg,
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:26 am

I want a polyphonic theremin with aftertouch and bluetooth connection. Moog & Korg could do a joint venture with this under the name Morg.
Available for sale:
-Chamber of Sounds Jupiter III (mk1) & Jupiter T (mk1)
-The Complete DX7- Howard Massey (with original enclosed sounds on soft disks)

natrixgli
Gear: USB Hub, Pedalboard, Keyboard Stand, and many cables.
Band: Suboscillator

Post by natrixgli » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:48 am

Moog should make a Minitaur that isn't limited to low octaves.

Roland should make a synth that isn't embarrassing.

Korg should just be korg. Make a Volca mixer with FX or something.

DSI needs a module version of the P12 with four voices for under a grand to replace the tetra.

Yamaha should reissue the AN/DX 200 loop factory boxes. That was the last cool thing they did.

I'd really like to see the Akai MaxiAK someone eluded to earlier.

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:19 am

Yamaha: a synthesizer. Seriously. ANYTHING. Even if it's a cheap VA. Just show us you remember what a synth is.

Korg: You showed us that an affordable analog monosynth is possible. Show us that an affordable analog polysynth is, too!

Roland: The V Synth has so much unrealised potential. Continue to expand on that. Reintroduce the V card and actually give us more than 2 of them. At the very least, give us Vista/7/8 compatible drivers for the original V! PLEASE!!!

Moog: A direct CV/brain interface. On second thought, maybe this should be Kenton or Synhouse.

Okay, now I'm getting ridiculous. I'll shut up now.
Last edited by Black Tomorrow on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't synthesize love

jcn7
Gear: K2500, Vsynth, Karp, Prophecy, Volcas, Monotribes, Oasys PCI, Oberheim Matrix, SEMs, Nord Drums, Microbrute, Yamaha EX5R, + multiple Euro modulars.

Post by jcn7 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:51 am

I'll just address Korg here, since they are really the only company of the majors that are really in touch with making inspirational instruments...that being said:

Dear Korg,

Now with your Volca products forth coming, please make a larger version with larger touch plate keys like the new Ken MacBeth synthesizer and with say 4/6/or 8 voice advanced "Volca keys" voice cards on the surface (for maximum tweak-a-bility). Give us memory slots and an architecture that will allow each "voice" to be programed independently as well as polyphonically as a whole...in essence a new Oberheim 4/6/8 voice (but with Korg Volca architecture) and touchplates for it's keyboard. While you are at it please include CV ins/outs for a semi modular experience as seen on previous and now new Korg products. Now THAT would be a killer analog product...and I might add, shouldn't break the piggy bank!

For now, I plan on buying 4 Volca Keys added to my MI Midipal and knobby midi keyboard, daisy chained together to kind of make an affordable cool little "4 voice" unfortunately without memory, however, it should work like a 4 voice in most other ways...

vladimotor
Gear: V-Synth, Kurzweil PC3le6, Akai Miniak, Korg MicroX, Godin Solidac, Breedlove AC25, Live, Samplitude pro, Zebra, Z3ta, Imposcar, Absynth 4, FM8, Pro53

Post by vladimotor » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:41 am

Korg - go out of business.
Actually i really wish Korg made Legacy Z1. That would have been a great addition to their software catalog.
And perhaps DS8, just for the sake of offering FM too.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:48 am

Yamaha: new workstation that incorporates all their synth technology, kind of like a super charged EX5
New groovebox

Roland: new workstation that features all their synth technology, first and foremost the V-Synth
New groovebox

Korg: new Electribes with more synthesis and expanded sampling. It would be cool to have it all in one box, but okay to have seperate ones, in order to keep cost down

Alesis: new analoge tht is essentially half an Andromeda (at half the price)

Emu: new groovebox that features much larger display and much expanded effect section

Novation: multitimbral VA, SuperNova III

etc

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:45 pm

rhino wrote:Roland: JX-20... Two Jx-10s in one keyboard, with knobs and effects. Oh, and corrected MIDI SYSEX.

DSI: Prophet-48. Built-in software to help take out that second, third and fourth mortgage on your home.

Yamaha: New version of the SY-99. Steal the V.A.S.T. processing from Kurzweil, all the V-Synth GT morphing from Roland and load that sucker UP!
:lol: [/thread]

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:34 pm

shaft9000 wrote:i don't care who, just somebody make something that alleviates masses of cables and power strips everywhere. between power, MIDI, audio, USB and patch cables (XLR, 1/4",3.5mm, nanner) it's the highest hurdle of all hardware headaches.
So - a new standard for signal transmission between machines. it's probably decades away and would be h**l to implement industry-wide, but it will hopefully happen sooner or later.

we've got plenty of great synths already. the hurdle is making everything more playable and integrated with the flow of the moment. fewer clutter, fewer cables and for god's sake less keyboarding....and more interesting ways to express yourself than equal-tempered same-old occidental approach.
Oh holy h**l...yeah this is literally one the largest hurdles I face in my studio at any given time [minus personal creative challenges :)]

Rooftree

Post by Rooftree » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:43 pm

natrixgli wrote:Korg should just be korg. Make a Volca mixer with FX or something.
I've been assuming and hoping that Korg would further the Volca line, but I hadn't given any thought to what the next boxes could be. Your idea is perfect! Tempo-sync fx, mixer with 1/4" outs, and maybe a built-in audio interface.
Prophet 08 :: CS-30 :: Odyssey :: Korg 01W :: Juno-60 :: 606 :: Sonar :: soft synths

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:47 pm

The all-subjective "should":
  • Korg: CV expander line for their fully analog products
  • Roland/Boss: Something fun, well designed and cutting edge, hardware/software doesn't matter, if they really do want to maintain their old legacy
  • Yamaha: something basic, useful and fun besides crotch-rockets
  • Arturia: Agreed about 2 or 4 voice MB
  • Alesis: drum machine!
  • Moog: divide-down poly with ladder filter and resonator
  • DSi: something that makes cool noises without Curtis chips
What they most likely will:
  • Korg: Automatic Parametric EQ/Limiter to notch out the squeal of 40,000 Mini MS-20s heard in every 2014 electronica track
  • Roland/Boss: Another WubWubstation named after a Roman deity, endorsed by clueless DJ's
  • Yamaha: Keyboard division sold to Casio: expect overpriced toys with fully weighted keys at next NAMM
  • Arturia: sub $400 SH-101 clone that will arrive incomplete 6 months late and disappoint everyone except Marc
  • Alesis: cymbal-clanging wind-up monkey with modeled JP8 filters and an arpeggiator
  • Moog: Moog-i-juana line of guitar amps with CV controlled cathode voltage
  • DSi: DCO-based car horn with knobs labeled "Prophet"(same as last year)
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.