What should each company make next?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
oryjen

Re: What should each company make next?

Post by oryjen » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:45 am

Show us that an affordable analog polysynth is, too!
-> Volca Keys...
Korg MS20-MS50-SQ10-X911-SuperDelta-800DV-MP4-Lambda ES50-severely modded Poly800-PE1000-M500SP-Trident MkII-KPR77-DSS1-P61//EkoSynth P15//YAMAHA CS30-CP30-DX9-01V//RSF Blackbox x2//Viscount CL1-R64//SCI Multitrack-P600//Roland GR500-SH1000

noisecomm
Gear: Ensoniq ESQs & Sq80s, various Junos & an odd jx-3p, Korg & yamaha units & a Rhodes Suitcase 73. SIG
Band: sick past nine

Post by noisecomm » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:56 am

Korg, esx V2- usb editing software, flash ram 64mb or 128mb built in, digital effects and analog delay. better tubes, more multi-outs

Roland- v-synth/ dj70 with a killer VA-feeding into an analog ir3109 filter/vca stage. SH-101 seriously

moog- MG-1/liberation with the touch strip and all of the MG-1 mods

Yamaha DX-100/DX100 hybrid

EMS- AKS super cheap edition, all mods!
Roland-Korg-Ensoniq-Yamaha-Casio-Emu-Rhodes-Wurli-Tape-Digital-Pedals-Brain

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:49 am

noisecomm wrote:EMS- AKS super cheap edition, all mods!
You mean like this?

http://www.emsrehberg.de/index.html

:)

briandc
Gear: 3 Midi controllers and anything linux! :)

Post by briandc » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:22 am

A Midi Controller with LOTS of knobs and sliders. At least 4-octave, if not more..

brian
Feeling trapped behind Windows? Try linux: More than 500 flavors to choose from!
LinuxSynths.com
amSynth on Soundcloud

briandc
Gear: 3 Midi controllers and anything linux! :)

Post by briandc » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:25 am

stephen wrote: U-he / Native Instruments / D16 / Fabfilter / Camelaudio / (etc etc) - anything for linux
this ^^^^

brian
Feeling trapped behind Windows? Try linux: More than 500 flavors to choose from!
LinuxSynths.com
amSynth on Soundcloud

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:11 pm

Korg -
They should continue to bring affordable anlog synthesis to the masses. I like the idea of an affordable poly but something like the Mopho would be cool, too. Chainable little boxes that put out some cool analog sounds. No keyboard, just a MIDI input.

Roland -
1. An analog drum machine. They could build on the TR line and bring a new one. It should have the bass and snare of the 808 and some of the sounds of the 909 plus new sounds.

2. An anlog synth of some sort. Korg have paved the way but Roland could play catch-up or try to one-up the Volcas.

Yamaha -
A polysynth reminiscent of the CS-80. Not a recreation but a nice, lush-sounding analog or VA polysynth with polyphonic aftertouch. I would say they should think of it as the CS-100 or something. An extension of the CS line but updated.

Moog -
1. An anlog drum machine. Something inspired by the Tempest and the 808 with nice Moog filtering, CV controls, etc.

2. A wah pedal. Stay with me for a minute...It could be simpler than the Moogerfooger but more feature-laden than other wahs.

Their marketing could be aimed at both keyboard players and guitarists with the same tag line - something like "Why should synth players have all the fun?" where they would extol the virtues of the Moog filter and market this easy way to apply it so your guitar signal chain, and "Why should guitar players have all the fun?" where they would talk about getting that Moog filter sound and the fun of a wah in your keyboard rig.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cumulus » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:15 pm

...of course, I am biased toward analog synthesis but it might be too late for the likes of Roland and Yamaha to get on that bandwagon. This resurgence of interest in analog may not last forever.

VA's and modeling are getting better and the analog sound itself may just fall out of favor with pop producers and musicians. If that happens, there goes your market for new analog gear.

We are the exception, not the rule.

Blopho
Gear: littlephatty, machinedrum, minibrute, blofelddesk. fxrrackmount

Post by Blopho » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:10 pm

Cumulus wrote: VA's and modeling are getting better and the analog sound itself may just fall out of favor with pop producers
I don't believe this analog revival of late has made it's way into the pop charts. Though to be honest, the only exposure I get to the top 40 s**t is when I'm in the car and the gf has control of the radio.
maybe I'm wrong but I believe most pop stars don't even know/care about the difference between synthesis methods, so why would the producer?

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:41 pm

Everyone should close their plants, cease production, fire their engineers, stop R&D, fire all remaining employees, and invest all their money into creating consumer electronics like TV's and smartphones after rebranding themselves as such.
soundcloud.com/vectron

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:55 pm

Onboard multitrack sequencing capabilities a must. Patch and sequence programming are treated in the same way. Tracks and patches are the same thing. Unlimited patch and note storage.
Sampling a must for all analog synths :ugeek:
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

SquareWave
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Korg Kronos X, Access Virus Ti2, Moog Sub37, Arturia Matrixbrute, DSI Tempest, Akai MPC, Hypersynth Xenophone, Roland D550

Post by SquareWave » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:32 pm

Well, Korg has been off the hook as a company - they just need to keep it up!

Roland needs to throw everything else away and do a Super V-synth!

Oberheim needs to get the 4 Voice Pro out before I die - with a keyboard and sequencer section...

Moog - hello - needs to make the ultimate modern analog polysynth that will shatter the world! Which is what everyone has been waiting for! WTF!! Take our f-ing money already!!!

:whistle:
"As welcome as a shite in yer spacesuit." - Crow, 2007

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cumulus » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:37 pm

I have heard lots of analog type sounds in popular music lately. Brittany Soears, Kesha, etc. Jayne West dedicated a whole album to the 808. Most acts at the Grammies have an analog synth on stage.

It's survey says 79% of top ten hits featured synths as main instruments:
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2011/ ... new-study/

Of course, the study diesn't seem to distinguish between analogs, VA's, workstations, etc.

I may just be hyer-sensitive to analog sounds but I notice them almost every time I turn on the radio.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:17 am

Basically, this thread could be named "EVERYONE SHOULD MAKE ANALOG SYNTHS, PRONTO (preferably remakes of 70s stuff)"

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cumulus » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:19 am

I'd rather see them progress and impove on products from the a Golden Age.

harness
Gear: stuff

Post by harness » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:30 pm

Yamaha - RS8000. Smash the AN1x, VL70m, FS1R, and A5000 engines all into a RS7000

Korg - Poly 1A-cracker. 5 voice Mono/Poly in limited edition white with reverse keys

Roland - V-Synth GTA. Hybrid V-Synth with analog filters. It also steals cars and kills hookers

Waldorf - Stromberger. A ground up Stromberg in a full size box, with a picture of that watered down Dr. Evil giving the finger
Yamaha RS7000, Akai S3000XL, E-MU E4XT Ultra, Access Virus Rack XL, Roland MKS 70, Future Retro 777, Studio Electronics ATC-X, Kurzweil PC361