What should each company make next?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Re: What should each company make next?

Post by bochelli » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:00 pm

Something that is for once a suprise , innovative perhaps a voice telling you what slider just moved because of what i have seen is not anywhere near the so called future dispite 2013 sounding like something out of a 50s sci fi film.
yamoto773

Blopho
Gear: littlephatty, machinedrum, minibrute, blofelddesk. fxrrackmount

Post by Blopho » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:29 pm

bochelli wrote:Something that is for once a suprise , innovative perhaps a voice telling you what slider just moved because of what i have seen is not anywhere near the so called future dispite 2013 sounding like something out of a 50s sci fi film.

huh?

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:52 pm

Bitexion wrote:Basically, this thread could be named "EVERYONE SHOULD MAKE ANALOG SYNTHS, PRONTO (preferably remakes of 70s stuff)"
I disagree, i've seen a few Moog drum machine ideas, which have never been done, and lord knows any sort of drum machine would do wonders from the world of vengeance sample packs we've entered.

My DX7 idea is an improvement on the original-- FM synthesis is made harder by c**p interfaces, and i think if a machine had some "basic sounds" built in that you could use as jumpoff points with knobs for each carrier/modulator tuning, output, and amp would also create waves in the synth world-- I'd buy the s**t out of a 500 or 600 dollar synth like that.

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by bochelli » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:24 pm

Blopho wrote:
bochelli wrote:Something that is for once a suprise , innovative perhaps a voice telling you what slider just moved because of what i have seen is not anywhere near the so called future dispite 2013 sounding like something out of a 50s sci fi film.

huh?
in simple terms nothing i have seen within the last 10 years offers anything groundbreaking, furthermore im not so sure i will sometimes its the simplest of answers that get anywhere and in this case these companies of today are not able to offer anything , perhaps they cant of course im always open to be proved wrong.
yamoto773

Shutoku

Post by Shutoku » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:54 pm

Bitexion wrote:Basically, this thread could be named "EVERYONE SHOULD MAKE ANALOG SYNTHS, PRONTO (preferably remakes of 70s stuff)"
And in keeping with that:

KORG - do with the polysix and mono/poly what you did with the ms20 mini...except don't make them mini.

Moog - Remake the minimoog. No memory, no phatty or voyager. Just bring out the minimoog again, price it reasonably and watch them fly off shelves outselling everything in history.

Roland - re-release sh1000 and Jupiter 4

Everyone - stop making 2 octave keyboards.

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by bochelli » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:01 pm

Shutoku wrote:
And in keeping with that:

KORG - do with the polysix and mono/poly what you did with the ms20 mini...except don't make them mini.

Moog - Remake the minimoog. No memory, no phatty or voyager. Just bring out the minimoog again, price it reasonably and watch them fly off shelves outselling everything in history.

Roland - re-release sh1000 and Jupiter 4

Everyone - stop making 2 octave keyboards.
A Minimoog with no menu screen as i type is in the making , the minimoog contains no hard to find parts easily re made.
yamoto773

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:06 am

Korg should design an affordable analogue poly instead of bringing back another vintage piece. Having said that, i would love to see the PS-3100 brought back. I would sell my soul to own one of those :)

Moog should remake the Memorymoog and solve its reliability issues.

Roland should stop putting plastic c**p out and make an actual analogue synth. I would love to see the Juno-60 brought back at an affordable price.

Yamaha should remake the DX7, or something along those lines.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

chinchilla

Post by chinchilla » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:20 pm

Korg - buy out roland. Maybe then korg will have the legal rights to reissue the things Roland's too much of pussies to remake

OB-XaMinimoog

Post by OB-XaMinimoog » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:32 am

DSI- Keep what they're doing and never learn the word "Workstation." Though knowing them it might actually be good.
But in all seriousness, a re-issue upgrade of the T8 would be sweet. Or the P10. Ok now I'm just dream :roll: :lol:

Moog - Bring back the Modular. Like a full on Model 3C.

But all jokes aside. A POLYPHONIC. Seriously. Like something along the lines of the Polymoog, but good. Or at the very least make the Voyager XL in a Poly. Way too big in my opinion to be a monosynth.

It'd also be nice to see them bring back the Voyager Old School. That should've stayed IMO.

Yamaha- Something along the lines of a CS-80 (duh)

As far as all the other companies,
Alex E wrote:Everyone should close their plants, cease production, fire their engineers, stop R&D, fire all remaining employees, and invest all their money into creating consumer electronics like TV's and smartphones after rebranding themselves as such.
Pretty much.

And finally

Oberheim- I WILL GIVE YOU EVERY PENNY I HAVE FOR A RE-ISSUE OF THE 8 VOICE OR OB-X.

OB-XaMinimoog

Post by OB-XaMinimoog » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:44 am

Pretty much :lol:

But I mean just at least one or two models of a 70s reminiscent analog synth, not too much to ask I think. Just something to appeal to us Analog nuts. Look at how big the Voyager is, I see that thing everywhere almost. Plus with how far synth technology has come, think what they could incorporate onto a remake of an old analog synth that didn't have it (better memories, etc). Those would be HUGE improvements on many of those.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:15 pm

Why is it everyone just wants remakes of what manufacturers have already made? Lets move past the endless vintage reissues and start innovating, I mean I'm all for new analog synths and the MS-20 mini is great and all but surely we can think up something a little more interesting? Why be limited with old designs?

Digital is cheap now and we have SMT, surely that goes a long way to making what would have been way too complicated to do back in the day a reality now. Just my $0.02 :geek:

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Post by JayEm » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:25 pm

Just curious, but everyone asking for "new innovations", what is it YOU would come up with?

Before you answer, think hard about what it is, and whether or not its already available in some form today.
I would'nt suggest that there isn't something out there to be discovered, just that its a lot more difficult to not only find something new, but find something marketable as well.

We're on a site dedicated to synthesizers, particularly that of the vintage variety. While a good portion of the board is surely made up of older people who were around for the analog heyday, there has got to be another significant portion who either weren't alive, or simply missed out on it or the 90s free fall of analog prices. Why than would it be surprising to see a good portion of users looking for those types of boards that so much classic and modern music was made on?
It's also important to remember that for many of us who possibly started out with computers, or digital boards, that tactile approach (knobs, sliders, etc) that seems inherent in analog is still cumbersome to set up on modern machines (even when using something like automap).
So it may be limited and it may be dated, but its really no different to why so many people buy a reissued strat when arguably a moog guitar or even the yourock midi guitar coupled with musiclab plugs is an advance in old tech.
w00t

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:54 pm

I want a hardware sampler like the old emulators with a full knob and slider interface. Easy to use Adsr envelopes, a full mod matrix, 3 Lfos, and analog svf filters. It would be about the size of a mopho 4x. Sample at 12 bit, with a bit reducer at the beginning and end of the signal chain. The filters would be simplified to accommodate trimming unwanted freqs per sample, with a final resonant filter at the end of the chain. I know this could be made or less than 1k.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:11 pm

multitrack onboard sequencing should be a must on each hardware synth. There´s no reason to separate notes/music composition from patch programming, they are the same.

I would love a synth with the shape of playstation controllers. You can grab it and play it like playing videogames, and also put it over a desk and use it like a desktop synth.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by bochelli » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:20 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:Why is it everyone just wants remakes of what manufacturers have already made? Lets move past the endless vintage reissues and start innovating, I mean I'm all for new analog synths and the MS-20 mini is great and all but surely we can think up something a little more interesting? Why be limited with old designs?

Digital is cheap now and we have SMT, surely that goes a long way to making what would have been way too complicated to do back in the day a reality now. Just my $0.02 :geek:
Unless anyone knows something i dont its not going to happen, what is needed is a new company just born and offers something new the problem still exists though what to offer in the meantime expect re launch of past synths, the polymoog and memorymoog imo were both released too soon and today even if re made would not have a market for players but for profit, no company exists for anything less.
yamoto773