Clavinet sound

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1834
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:48 pm
Band: Cumulus

Re: Clavinet sound

Post by Cumulus » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:43 am

Tony's clav had the whammy bar installed at the factory. They made probably less than 100 but there were aftermarket ones as well.

He really rocks and if you get a chane to see then live you won't be disappointed. You won't even miss the guitar.

Here is a closer view along with his MIDIfied Kawai electric piano. The piano has real piano strings and actually sounds like a piano.

Image

User avatar
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Posts: 1547
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:10 am
Gear: YES PLEASE!
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Clavinet sound

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:21 am

STFU + GTFO, n00b

User avatar
yorgatron
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:57 pm
Gear: ARP Axxe
ARP Omni I
Korg Poly-61
Korg MS-10
Korg Mini-Korg 700
Elka X-55
RMI 300A
Wurlitzer 206A
Hohner Clavinet/Pianet Duo
Casio XW-P1
Band: Asha-Med

Re: Clavinet sound

Post by yorgatron » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:38 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:STFU + GTFO, n00b
I think you're in the wrong thread. :-?

speaking of which, I can't find the other one...

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Re: Clavinet sound

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:44 pm

yeah, weird. Maybe it was deleted because of potential bullying?

If so, a mod should really PM you and tell you a reason why your thread was deleted.

Just so I don't get told off... I like the Clavinet sound.

User avatar
yorgatron
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:57 pm
Gear: ARP Axxe
ARP Omni I
Korg Poly-61
Korg MS-10
Korg Mini-Korg 700
Elka X-55
RMI 300A
Wurlitzer 206A
Hohner Clavinet/Pianet Duo
Casio XW-P1
Band: Asha-Med

Re: Clavinet sound

Post by yorgatron » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:52 pm

zoomtheline wrote: I like the Clavinet sound.
there's something we all can agree on. :thumbright:

User avatar
Clavier
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 547
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:22 am
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West
Location: California

Re: Clavinet sound

Post by Clavier » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:26 pm

I think a large part what popularized the Clavinet for rock/funk playing is the action. The light bouncy action of a Clavinet really lends itself to a rhythmic playing style. When creating music with it, it's disposition toward staccato (because it has almost no sustain) and rhythmic (because the action is bouncy) playing pushes you in that creative direction. Since musical inspiration/creation is based on not only what you are familiar with/predisposed to and how you feel, but how you interact with your instrument (tactile feedback, ergonomics, timbre), the music a musician creates will vary with the instrument they play/are playing.

I find that Rhodes has a similar effect. On a Rhodes piano, the key has to be struck with enough velocity to throw the hammers into the tines. This, and the fact that the timbre varies significantly with how hard the tine is struck like also makes the Rhodes a good instrument for a rhythmic playing style (though less so than a Clav).
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

User avatar
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3218
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:51 am
Real name: Steve
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently
Location: Sydney, australia.(I moved)

Re: Clavinet sound

Post by tekkentool » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:49 am

I'm actually kind of surprised there aren't more DIY or modern versions of the clav out. Building one from a kit would be A+ fun IMO.

User avatar
V301H
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 751
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:58 am
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Clavinet sound

Post by V301H » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:52 am

Vintage Vibe makes the Vibanet as well as new Electric Pianos:

Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

User avatar
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1834
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:48 pm
Band: Cumulus

Re: Clavinet sound

Post by Cumulus » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:44 pm

I am going to get a dose of clav tonight.

The Crash Kings are playing with Nico Vega.

Clavier, what you said about sustain is interesting because Tony from the Crash Kings gets a good bit of sustain out of his. He plays with distortion and really gets an electric guitar sound out of it instead of what you expect from a clav. Maybe the extra sustain is a result of the distortion he uses. I'll try to pay attention tonight.

User avatar
mpa1104
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 330
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:33 am
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!
Location: SOMEONE GET ME OUT OF HERE!!

Re: Clavinet sound

Post by mpa1104 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:00 pm

Sir Nose wrote:^
I don't thinking I've seen a Clav with a bender mod like that before. Nice.
Somewhat ironically, the original medieval Clavichord was capable of a mild pitch bend which in turn was achievable through a form of aftertouch. It's possible after playing a key on the Clavichord to press it harder, causing the tangent to push the string up a little further thereby changing the pitch. You'd have to do it fairly quickly though since the sustain is so brief on a Clavichord. This couldn't be done on the Clavinet because the action strikes the string from above (not below) and the string is "pinched" between the tangent above and the 'anvil' below.
The Clavichord may have been mechanically the simplest of the keyboard instruments, but it was also one of the most expressive - dynamic control (albeit fairly limited) centuries before the piano, and "aftertouch" a millenium before a synth! Shame it was damn near inaudible though, amplifying it was a good idea!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.

LWG
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:43 pm

Re: Clavinet sound

Post by LWG » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:41 am

iphoenix wrote:Favorite Clavinet players & moments would include Jan Hammer's funky playing, especially when with Jeff Beck & especially on 'Wired'.
Hello!

I don't remember Jan Hammer being much of a clav guy. The clavinet parts on "Wired" tracks like,
"Play With Me" were played by keyboardist, Max Middleton.

Regards,

-L

LWG
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:43 pm

Re: Clavinet sound

Post by LWG » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:57 am

Cumulus wrote:Tony's clav had the whammy bar installed at the factory. They made probably less than 100 but there were aftermarket ones as well.
Hello!

Iirc, all of the Castlebar clavinets were aftermarket upgrades. Buddy Castle designed and implemented the mod in the late 70's for a short period, as the cost of sending a clav in and having it done was expensive enough that it didn't really catch on. George Duke is probably the most well-known from that period for having used it.

Regards,

-L

User avatar
kayvon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:59 am
Location: London

Re: Clavinet sound

Post by kayvon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:45 pm

Clavier wrote:I think a large part what popularized the Clavinet for rock/funk playing is the action. The light bouncy action of a Clavinet really lends itself to a rhythmic playing style. When creating music with it, it's disposition toward staccato (because it has almost no sustain) and rhythmic (because the action is bouncy) playing pushes you in that creative direction. Since musical inspiration/creation is based on not only what you are familiar with/predisposed to and how you feel, but how you interact with your instrument (tactile feedback, ergonomics, timbre), the music a musician creates will vary with the instrument they play/are playing.
I have to agree mostly. My Clavinet has a decent amount of sustain towards the lower end and not such a 'bouncy' action though.

What you say about tactile feedback is why I had to go out and buy one. I think a large part of the playing style is also down to the fact that you have to terminate the keys to sound a note vs normal velocity enabled midi controllers and pianos/organs that I can think of. That is to say, you only get a full sound at the bottom of the keys travel vs some synths where you can play without even bottoming the keys out.

Here's a little video I did the other day playing mine. It's a little quiet though as I recorded it through the onboard mic of my Macbook.


User avatar
iphoenix
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:49 am
Real name: Paul
Location: Ireland

Re: Clavinet sound

Post by iphoenix » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:30 am

If that is the case I stand corrected , Yes Max Middleton sure was a funky player , I forgot about him.
Later:
Yes that is in fact the case , excuse my mistake, I just rechecked the album sleeve note & all these years I thought Jan Hammer was playing clav, but the sleeve notes clearly state Max Middleton as being the Clavinette player on all tracks with clav on 'Wired' .
Anyway that is what I meant , Max's clav playing on 'Wired' being my favourite Clavinette examples ,I just thought it was Jan Hammer.

" I don't remember Jan Hammer being much of a clav guy. The clavinet parts on "Wired" tracks like,
"Play With Me" were played by keyboardist, Max Middleton.

Regards,

LWG
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:43 pm

Re: Clavinet sound

Post by LWG » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:02 am

iphoenix wrote:If that is the case I stand corrected , Yes Max Middleton sure was a funky player , I forgot about him.
Later:
Yes that is in fact the case , excuse my mistake, I just rechecked the album sleeve note & all these years I thought Jan Hammer was playing clav, but the sleeve notes clearly state Max Middleton as being the Clavinette player on all tracks with clav on 'Wired' .
Anyway that is what I meant , Max's clav playing on 'Wired' being my favourite Clavinette examples ,I just thought it was Jan Hammer.

" I don't remember Jan Hammer being much of a clav guy. The clavinet parts on "Wired" tracks like,
"Play With Me" were played by keyboardist, Max Middleton.

Regards,

iphoenix,

No big deal. On a number of his tracks, JH plays a staccato synth patch that sounds clavinet(ish). By itself, it's not that close to a clavinet, but in the mix, it's convincing enough to not notice that he doesn't play much, if any clavinet on those releases.
You can hear it on tracks like, "Magic Dog" (@0:22) from the "Oh Yeah?" lp :



Regards,

-L

Post Reply