Why so Many Phatties?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Why so Many Phatties?

Post by calaverasgrande » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:49 pm

Seems like every time I look on Craigslist I see several Moog lil phatties for sale.
Is this just typical buyers remorse or is there some unspoken problem with these?
I'm thinking of picking one up. Hope that these are just a bunch of bedroom "producers" that gave up after they realized they aren't Dr.Dre.
"This music stuff is HARD!"
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Re: Why so Many Phatties?

Post by megamanx » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:35 pm

My guess would be is that since they are still in production and easy to find they are also easy for the seller to let them go and buy it again later if they miss it.

Solyaris

Post by Solyaris » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:00 pm

It's not a defect or anything, but when I played with a Little Phatty I absolutely hated the interface. I'm definitely a one knob per function kind of guy, or as close to it as possible. That being said, people who are okay with that kind of interface say that it is actually really intuitive for what it is.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:23 pm

I've already got a T3 so I am used to it.
on the Taurus it's basically 2 functions per knob with a global toggle between the two modes. Not too hard to get along with for me. Certainly preferable to menu diving. Though the T3 has a fair amount of that if you want to get into the arp functions and some other features.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:46 am

Now would be the best time to buy a Phatty. Usually these Moog models get sold off when there is a newer or better release. Right now the Moog SubPhatty is the new product and someone selling off a Phatty might get a low price due to the lower demand.
I waited to purchase a T3, and when the Minitaur came out, I picked up a set for less than a grand. Many T3 owners sold off the pedals to get the smaller, but same sounding Minitaur. Probably the same thing now with the Phatty. Selling off to get the smaller/newer version.
I would try to get a good deal on one now.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:05 am

Hope that these are just a bunch of bedroom "producers" that gave up after they realized they aren't Dr.Dre.
"This music stuff is HARD!"

1. So every person that uses a piece of equipment, is dissatisfied and sells it; is so because they thought they were going to be a superstar in their genre of interest with little effort?

2. Never knew the phatty as a rap production staple, where did you learn that was the case?

3. Didn't know Dre was a famous user or that his core sound was based on the Phatty, where did you get an insider's spec on his production tool-set?

4a What differentiates you from a bedroom producer? 4b What's the problem with being one?

5. What difference does it make what genre the person before you used said piece of gear to create?

I don't really expect you to answer any of these questions. I've already accepted that you are on of those.
You know, electronic-music-making-elites ...um, I jokingly call you lot noise-jockeys.
You have a lot of equipment and a cat.

They are sub-divided by genre, tool-set, creation system, workflow--- etc....
All these things places you in a special place. too bad there's little room for anyone else who's different.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:42 am

There's no "problem" with Little Phatties.

Some people sell because of money crunches (unexpected bills, etc.), needing to raise money for other gear, the LP no longer suits the kind of music they are doing, they upgraded to a Voyager, they downgraded to a Slim because it has noise, more filter overdrive options and more knobs, they realized they really don't like analog, they need a polysynth, they're moving and need to get rid of stuff, or any of a number of other reasons.

It may be that there are no more or less LPs for sale now as in the recent past but now that you are in the market you've just started to pay attention to the ads.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:06 am

Same reason there are a lot of used Led Zeppelin LPs: A lot of people bought them new.

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:41 am

Phattys are awesome. Would love to have one again, but then there's that whole money issue not to mention I don't think i'd use it enough to want to keep 800-1000 sitting around for funzies.

Griffin

You mean.... to say.... I WONT get famous? I needs to be starting a new thread in the for sale sub forum now..... :lol:

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:27 am

Well, I'm just surprised this slant is being leveled as a piece like a little Phatty.
Pretty decently expensive mono analog synth. Who buys one on a whim?

Now MPCs, you see a million of those for sale and it is for a number of reasons...the OP would be correct that many believe the hype and think it's a box of magic and others find that they bought the wrong one.

Strangely enough, I never bought a piece of gear and thought I would become famous or sound like some other producer

-- but even still how many posts on this site are looking into duplicating/acquiring the gearlist of someone famous. Seems like they get a pass- long as it's something old and vintagey.

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:36 am

griffin avid wrote:Well, I'm just surprised this slant is being leveled as a piece like a little Phatty.
Pretty decently expensive mono analog synth. Who buys one on a whim?

Now MPCs, you see a million of those for sale and it is for a number of reasons...the OP would be correct that many believe the hype and think it's a box of magic and others find that they bought the wrong one.

Strangely enough, I never bought a piece of gear and thought I would become famous or sound like some other producer

-- but even still how many posts on this site are looking into duplicating/acquiring the gearlist of someone famous. Seems like they get a pass- long as it's something old and vintagey.
lol I think the "what synth did they use" threads are kind of meh. Lazy at best, right? Just go buy one and figure out how to use it. Theyre all essentially the same, the differences between them often only mean something to someone who is unfortunate enough to understand synths(as a whole<compare/contrast knowledge>) enough to b***h about it anyway.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:34 am

Hey, maybe they are great, but you may perhaps be on the right track in considering that they just suck a*s for the price tag. I love the Moog sound, but I've yet to put down the bank on one, any one, someday yes maybe we will all have a Moog, but today, not for me.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:39 pm

Well, they've been around a while and for a long time they were the only cheap modern Moog alternative to the Voyager.

There is nothing wrong with them, they are great synths. :)

_dan

Post by _dan » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:29 pm

griffin avid wrote: You have a lot of equipment and a cat.
Lol I resent that stereo-type... I have TWO cats (one of which has a slow metabolism and is most definitely a phatty ) :lol:
_dan
========================
soundcloud.com/fy_11
Micron, Motif XF8, Reaper
========================

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:55 am

I have TWO cats

Then sir, somewhere in your future, I suggest, is a modular.

But I do sense a growing ping on my stance-radar that Moog is slowly being shoved into the box of plain, basic, boring and mundane. Where it seems, the very tone we had collectively decided was the pinnacle of synthesis is now being considered ...tame.

It seems like everyone is looking for edge and movement now. Razor res-sharpness and not cream. Funny if this continues that -as manufacturers finally listen and begin dropping analogs, the body now wants something else.

They made the Voyager, everyone wanted something more affordable...
Little Phatty....Bass pedal...they wanted Bass Synth...Taurus....
I won't even mention the Old School. Or the guitar thing...
they want a [super-expensive] poly and return to modular....
Now that they have something in every flavor, many want a different sounding thing.

I might admit if there was one company that shouldn't be reading and listening to What We Want from threads...it's probably Moog.