David Sancious's comment on vintage gear (keyboard mag)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Tiger Jackson
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq ESQ-1, Microkorg, Yamaha DX100, Fizmo

David Sancious's comment on vintage gear (keyboard mag)

Post by Tiger Jackson » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:32 am

From the July keyboard Magazine. I wonder what other people's thoughts here are.
"Simplifying synths on so"
Interviewer: Is there any piece of you wish you still used but don't, new or Vintage?

David: No, I don't miss any of it! I don't miss the tuning problems, the temperature problems, the breakdowns... I can get those sounds out of the Kronos. I like having everything in one place. Otherwise, you're dividing your attention: "I'm going to play this part with this hand, and then my left hand is going over there..." You're not actually concentrating on playing.
I'll tell you, the only thing I do miss are the [multiple] foot controllers. I used to use a number of foot pedals so I can bring my sound in and out while I was playing. My old keyboard had a number of inputs for foot pedals, so I could run different sounds independently. Now, keyboards only have one pedal input. My Kronos can take one sustain pedal and one [continuous] foot pedal, and I really wish i could add at least one more, but that's the only thing i'd change. Today, you really only need one keyboard.

adhmzaiusz

Re: David Sancious's comment on vintage gear (keyboard mag)

Post by adhmzaiusz » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:18 am

Never heard of him, but now that I looked him up he looks like the typical backing band guy to abandon it all for a Kronos. :?
To each his own
‹‡›

mute

Post by mute » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:35 am

not very clever either.. kronos has independent audio and midi mixers.. wouldn't it be relatively trivial to setup several foot controllers or a multi-pedal to do what he wants?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:38 am

I love how VSE folks always know better than working musicians who actually make a living playing synths. :lol:

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:09 am

:agree: :clap: :clap:

First saw Sancious on vid many years ago on the Peter Gabriel P.O.V. gig (recently re-watched that too with the extended footage). I for one was always impressed with how he handled the keyboard parts on one Yammie KX88 and a well-stocked rack. He's no amateur, particularly having also been a key (sorry) member of the "E-Street Band" for many of Brucie's halcyon years.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.

mute

Post by mute » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:48 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:I love how VSE folks always know better than working musicians who actually make a living playing synths. :lol:
Christ. :roll:

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:28 pm

"what he wants" is clearly to have a stripped-down setup after spending YEARS touring with a whole slew of monster keyboards. Not to add even more cables and pedals to the mix to be able to use a few analog synths.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:05 pm

As always, it´s a question of what type of thing the instrument is required for. I wouldn´t want to go on tour with an original Mini Moog or Rhodes piano. This is where a Kronos comes in handy. Same thing for bread-and-butter sounds -- and I´m sure Sancious is more into that type of thing anyway, being tied to the limitations of the genre he works within.

The statement above reminds me of what Edgar Froese said... he didn´t care much for the equipment he used in the early 1980s, all those beautiful and revered PPGs and Oberheims and Prophets and Moogs... to him, they were only means to an end, nothing more. Happy to replace them with the next, more advanced generation of instruments.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:29 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:I love how VSE folks always know better than working musicians who actually make a living playing synths. :lol:
Going by that logic Justin Beiber is the better source of wisdom on music than any of us because he earns his money that way... See the irony? :lol:

Whatever, I don't see the point in comparisons. This guy works, the Kronos simplifies his setup and makes his job easier - dems paying the bills.

More the better for us "non-working" musicians who have the time, passion and freedom to persue and appreciate such things *despite* their shortcomings.
Last edited by Hybrid88 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smcumber

Post by smcumber » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:36 pm

It's interesting that it was mentioned that he part of the E Street Band, because I worked as a stage hand a few years ago to load-in/load-out a Bruce Springsteen concert, and the keyboard player at that time was using a Hammond B-3 with a Leslie, a grand piano, and a Yamaha DX-7, which would contradict this viewpoint.

It is odd to think about that what are "vintage" and "authentic" instruments now were considered just the best modern instruments at the time they were released. Maybe people with his philosophy are just in the opinion that they've moved on from the analog synths of the 70's and 80's to more convenient digital instruments.
Last edited by smcumber on Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:35 pm

and I´m sure Sancious is more into that type of thing anyway, being tied to the limitations of the genre he works within.

I hope you mean the 'limitations of all genres', including the one you like to make.

Going by that logic Justin Beiber is the better source of wisdom on music than any of us because he...

Well, if Bieber is speaking about his experience touring and performing before tens of thousands and what he feels most comfortable doing/wearing/using, then yes, he is an expert. He's speaking from EXPERIENCE. And since he's got tons of that, I'd probably take his thoughts over those that don't do shows.

Thus the difference between the needs of someone who works out of a studio and someone who works (a lot) from a stage. Mobile show verse stationary stockpile. If you're an electronic musician who LEADS the BAND then maybe worrying about having your authentic key piece on stage might be important. But if you're a player and your contribution is a few meandering synth lines, then really it's not that crucial. Yeah,a MODERN WORKSTATION is a better choice than a Vintage Synth.

And I don't mean to be douchey, but a lot of people who do pull these massive monsters on stage (modulars too) start a sequence and noddle around with a few elements- sometimes one. I know your point is SEEING IT and thinking about HOW YOU ARE DOING IT, but musically, you'd be fine with a backing track and the one synth you were noodling. A Minibrute is probably all you need. Don't hate me.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:37 pm

Well I'd agree, but that was what I was trying to say, the comparison is pointless because the needs are different.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:31 pm

Sancious was using Yamaha Motif prior to the Kronos, as he mentioned it has jacks for two expression pedals and two footswitches.

He left Springsteen before Born to Run was recorded and only played piano in that band anyway.

After that he performed as sideman for folks like Billy Cobham, Jack Bruce and Peter Gabriel playing guitar as well as keyboards :shock: His solo albums are usually categorized as jazz-fusion.

Video from 2007 playing a Motif (notice the breath controller)

Anyway, I agree with Sancious 100%. With modern workstations you really do not need multiple instruments any more.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:06 pm

Many great players from the 60's, 70's, and 80's lose sight of how much the instruments they used at the time contributed to their success. Many of these artists, while they had a high level of talent, when combined with the distinctive character of a certain type of Synth, Organ, Mellotron, Electric Piano, etc. it becomes a situation where the whole is more than the sum of the parts. Most of these players now use modern instruments to approximate the sounds they had in the past. This works fine in live performance but lacking is a difficult-to-define aspect of the classic instruments that inspired the original performance.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:38 pm

Well yeah, watch what people are actually using back in the studio and it's a whole other story - fair bit of vintage still being used very much these days. :geek: