DAF - Der Mussolini

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

DAF - Der Mussolini

Post by Aaron2 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:08 am

OK, so I'm about 30 years late in "discovering" this little gem by DAF. But for the life of me, though, I'm having a helluva time trying recreate the tone of the main riff with my analog gear. I assume it's a synthesizer. Am I wrong? My other thought was that it might be a six-string bass that was recorded and looped (there's even a little glitch at the end of each go-round that suggests some tape splicing).

Anyway, here's a couple of videos. The first is the original, but the audio quality isn't that good. The second is a re-recording by the original lead singer, I believe. You can hear the riff a little better.

Thoughts? :?:

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Re: DAF - Der Mussolini

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:20 am

Sounds like it could be a couple of things - either osc sync with some envelope sweep on pulse waves and a slightly resonant filter, or a pretty regular filter sweep run through an overdrive/distortion pedal. If you've ever pushed a monosynth through a bunch of guitar effects you'll know how easy it is to get this kind of tone.

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:11 pm

I believe they used an ARP Avatar sequenced by an ARP Sequencer...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:08 pm

DAF are infamous for using the Korg MS-20/SQ-10 rig as well as the ARP Odyssey Mk. 2 with ARP Sequencer (which they found in Conny´s studio back then).

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:43 am

Thanks for the info, guys.

mute

Post by mute » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:35 am

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:DAF are infamous for using the Korg MS-20/SQ-10 rig as well as the ARP Odyssey Mk. 2 with ARP Sequencer (which they found in Conny´s studio back then).

Stephen
..and mostly the former. Der Mussolini is all MS-20/SQ-10. I've always though it's running through some kind of phaser or chorus on that track. They also still use that setup on stage when performing it.

I don't make their style of music (and loath most modern "EBM"), but DAF, Nitzer Ebb, early Die Krupps and early 242 are the reason I wanted a MS-20 since I was 14-15 :twisted:

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:41 am

mute wrote:I don't make their style of music (and loath most modern "EBM"), but DAF, Nitzer Ebb, early Die Krupps and early 242 are the reason I wanted a MS-20 since I was 14-15 :twisted:
Well, now there's the MS-20 Mini, which puts the MS-20 sound within reach to the rest of us! Go for it! 8-)

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:51 pm

mute wrote:
ppg_wavecomputer wrote:DAF are infamous for using the Korg MS-20/SQ-10 rig as well as the ARP Odyssey Mk. 2 with ARP Sequencer (which they found in Conny´s studio back then).

Stephen
..and mostly the former. Der Mussolini is all MS-20/SQ-10. I've always though it's running through some kind of phaser or chorus on that track. They also still use that setup on stage when performing it.

I don't make their style of music (and loath most modern "EBM"), but DAF, Nitzer Ebb, early Die Krupps and early 242 are the reason I wanted a MS-20 since I was 14-15 :twisted:
Not to forget Chrislo Haas´ early work on the MS20 when he was still member of DAF -- and, of course, his contribution to Liaisons Dangereuses.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

mute

Post by mute » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:41 pm

Aaron2 wrote:
mute wrote:I don't make their style of music (and loath most modern "EBM"), but DAF, Nitzer Ebb, early Die Krupps and early 242 are the reason I wanted a MS-20 since I was 14-15 :twisted:
Well, now there's the MS-20 Mini, which puts the MS-20 sound within reach to the rest of us! Go for it! 8-)
Already have one ;] It's been a long wait.. I was a day away from buying one from one of those japan dealers when the possible news was leaked, so I put it off.
Liaisons Dangereuses
good call

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:40 pm

I've read on some German synth forum that they used an ARP Odyssey w/sequencer on the studio recording of Der Mussolini but I really
don't know if that's true.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:05 pm

This guy does a credible cover of the bassline using a Pro-One:

The actual playing starts about a minute into the video.

This actually sounds like two sequences running to me: maybe a straight-eighth-note bass line underneath the main riff. No?

mute

Post by mute » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:10 am

I had a guess and a go on the bassline today....or at least started to, then it turned into this. Anyways, recorded some live bits straight from the mixer.. FR Mobius/MS20/Minibrute/CZ1

Last edited by mute on Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:12 am

mute wrote:I had a guess and a go on the bassline today....or at least started to, then it turned into this. Anyways, recorded some live bits straight from the mixer.. FR Mobius/MS20/Minibrute/CZ1

Nice track, dude! What did you record it with? The sound is very full and "in your face." =D>

mute

Post by mute » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:16 am

nothing special.. It was just very loud ;p the synths run through my Mackie with some aux fx, then recorded into my computer as a single take/track.. I did do a final compression on it to try and level it out a little, but nothing heavy. while playing I mostly moved between the mixer level/eqs/auxsends and the synths.