Geddy Lee/Rush synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
OB-XaMinimoog

Geddy Lee/Rush synths

Post by OB-XaMinimoog » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:53 am

I've come across this Rush Wiki site that lists the keyboards, Basses and other gear Geddy has used pretty much all through his career. But what intrigued me was it lists that he used a Prophet 5 on Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures as well as a Roland System 700m on MP, and a Fairlight CMI on Signals, Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows. Anyone know what parts/songs he used those keyboards on? It was my understanding that he always just used Oberheims, the Jupiter 8, the Minimoog, and the PPG starting on GUP.

tim gueguen

Re: Geddy Lee/Rush synths

Post by tim gueguen » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:07 am

I think that site is most likely wrong. Unfortunately anyone can edit a Wiki, so it's not hard for bogus information to be posted. The 1984 Keyboard magazine interview for example makes no mention of anything besides Mini, OBXa, JP8, PPG, DSX, and TR808, on Grace Under Pressure.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:12 am

And here's a previous threat of interest.
http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... 9596&hilit
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

OB-XaMinimoog

Post by OB-XaMinimoog » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:04 am

tim gueguen wrote:I think that site is most likely wrong. Unfortunately anyone can edit a Wiki, so it's not hard for bogus information to be posted. The 1984 Keyboard magazine interview for example makes no mention of anything besides Mini, OBXa, JP8, PPG, DSX, and TR808, on Grace Under Pressure.
Its likely. I've never heard of him using any synths other than those. In those days he was pretty hardcore Oberheim (and the PPG on GUP) until he started moving in Digital synths on Power Windows.

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:09 am

One fact is true . . . Today (July 29) Geddy Lee turns SIXTY (60!)

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Sun May 04, 2014 9:30 am

This thread really made me want to listen to Rush. I'd only heard OF them but never tried to listen to their musical output before. I quite like their sound and am currently listening to Power Windows. My thanks go to the OP and to Spotify!
GC

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Sun May 04, 2014 10:37 am

I have my doubts about GUP and definitely Signals, but they did use Fairlight on Power Windows. (in the studio at least)

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/transc ... yboard.htm

synthRodriguez
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog - Roland - Yamaha

Post by synthRodriguez » Sun May 04, 2014 4:46 pm

Yeah, Power Windows is my favorite Rush album.

Not a really a big fan, but I am familiar with their work.

Sheherezadeh
Gear: OB6m/Prophet 08/Sub 37/Tetra/Minilogue/Slim Phatty/MS20m/Mini+Micro Brutes/Virus TI/AN1X/Ion/JP8000/Z1/Microkorg XL/System 1m/Rocket/XS8/NE373/RD700GX

Post by Sheherezadeh » Mon May 05, 2014 12:50 pm

gcoudert wrote:This thread really made me want to listen to Rush. I'd only heard OF them but never tried to listen to their musical output before. I quite like their sound and am currently listening to Power Windows. My thanks go to the OP and to Spotify!
Early-mid 80s Rush is really one of the best examples of how to employ synths in a rock context. Geddy always had great sounds and the right spots to feature them. It's a shame they've largely abandoned them since then.

Smoking_Gnu

Post by Smoking_Gnu » Mon May 05, 2014 3:31 pm

There seemed to be at least a small throwback to synths on Clockwork Angels, namely those excellent shimmering pads during the chorus of BU2B.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon May 05, 2014 10:05 pm

I prefer the Rush in Rio live album..get a nice tracklist of carreer highlights, the sound is nearly perfect and there is a great crowd. Lee has always used samples of their oldest synths since the 80s, so that he's using samples now is no big deal.

Smoking_Gnu

Post by Smoking_Gnu » Tue May 06, 2014 3:50 am

I did see them last summer and while Geddy had a sampler of some variety he also have a Little Phatty for certain parts (I think he used it for the Tom Sawyer leads, though I could be wrong.)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue May 06, 2014 6:26 am

I know that on the Rush in Rio concert he used a stack of Roland XV-5080's that had samples of the old Oberheim sounds, like the Tom Sawyer bass/lead and other signature sounds. Think I read it in Keyboard Magazine at some point, or maybe an article online. He did have a bass pedal of some kind to trigger the Tom sawyer bass sound, you see him step on it every time it triggers. Or maybe there is a piece on his gear on one of the DVD's, I didn't watch it in years.

His keyboard stand looked kind of like a wooden desk and you never see what's actually inside in the concert footage, just see him playing it. But it doesn't matter as long as it sounds great. It's not the gear that matters, really.

It's kind of amazing to see him juggle between playing the bass pedal with his foot, doing some complicated bass guitar lines with his hands, then run over to the synths to play a lead sound for a few bars, then back to bass and singing. It really looks like a dance sometimes :)

Kind of reminds me of Jordan Rudess' Dream Theater live setup. His floor is such a mess of cables and pedals that he needs to rehearse the "dance moves" for a couple weeks while preparing for a tour. He uses pedal for all kinds of things, like change patch on various synths on and off-stage, start/stop sequences, change the entire MIDI setup etc.

SeventhStar
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Post by SeventhStar » Thu May 08, 2014 6:36 am

Subdivisions.. In the high school halls.. In the shopping malls..

Synthdivisions.. Have a cool synth, or be cast out!

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:06 pm

Just found this posted on another forum and thought I'd share. It's an interview with Jack Secret, GEd's longtime keyboard tech, from a couple of years back on the Clockwork Angels tour. They have quite the setup and still rely a lot on mid '80s era samplers.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS