TTSH: Two Thousand Six Hundred (DIY Arp 2600 Clone)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: TTSH: Two Thousand Six Hundred (DIY Arp 2600 Clone)

Post by Alex E » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:46 am

Dammit. I just realized there's already a thread on this. :banghead:
soundcloud.com/vectron

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:32 am

edit: threads merged

It's not going to be sold as a kit, it'll be a board set and a face plate. Sourcing the parts will be up to the builder, although most likely some group buys will pop up.

I haven't decided if I'm gonna make just one or a few...
Last edited by Stab Frenzy on Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

sourwookie
Gear: ARP Solus, Roland SH-201, Korg MS2000, Nord Electro 3, Volca Keys and Beats,Roland Juno D

Post by sourwookie » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:30 am

Wait--you supply your own enclosure and parts? What is the $1000 for? Schematics and a blank board? I think I'm missing something here. Not being critical--I think I'm just misunderstanding what this is.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:34 am

That price is an overall estimate, including the cost of components.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:39 am

Jabberwalky wrote:That price is an overall estimate, including the cost of components.
Bingo.

sourwookie
Gear: ARP Solus, Roland SH-201, Korg MS2000, Nord Electro 3, Volca Keys and Beats,Roland Juno D

Post by sourwookie » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:13 am

Ah, so that's about what I should expect to spend if I get the parts from various sources. That makes more sense.

Reginator
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505
Band: Reginator

Post by Reginator » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:57 pm

This is very cool. I've been stopping by his website checking on the progress. Can't wait to start building it.

Tokyo Tapes

Post by Tokyo Tapes » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:55 pm

Well, i'm pretty much a newbie regarding modules and vintage stuff like the ARP, so i'm gonna make a massive begginer's question: In the kit done by the swedish guys, they're selling the oscilattors board, plus the main board and front panel, so... what about the keys? how do you hook them to the arp, i mean, how are you supossed to play it? Are the keys part of the main board or even the oscilattors board, for that matter?

Sorry, for the stupid question.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:37 am

Tokyo Tapes wrote:Well, i'm pretty much a newbie regarding modules and vintage stuff like the ARP, so i'm gonna make a massive begginer's question: In the kit done by the swedish guys, they're selling the oscilattors board, plus the main board and front panel, so... what about the keys? how do you hook them to the arp, i mean, how are you supossed to play it? Are the keys part of the main board or even the oscilattors board, for that matter?

Sorry, for the stupid question.
There are no keys, it needs a CV gate source to be controlled externally. The easiest way to play it with keys would be to get a midi keyboard and a midi to cv interface, or a keyboard that outputs cv like that akai max 49 thing.

perfectdefect
Gear: MPC1000 Kingston MS20 Sigma PolySix JU60 JU106 RS09 TR66 200A Micro Opus 3 Stage 73
Band: infinite now

Post by perfectdefect » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:13 am

I have this empty CS50 chassis that I have been trying to figure out what to populate with... sign me up!

Push-Pull

Post by Push-Pull » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:24 am

First demos of my TTSH:

TTSH demo - Happy Meanie

Appart the drum machine, no EQ, no comp, no effects, the reverb is the spring reverb of the TTSH.

And some strange typical noises on the fly:

TTSH - some fx

The making of my modular... (ok it's in french, but the pictures are easy to understand !)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:01 pm

Push-pull,

Care to give us particulars about your purchase....did you build yourself, if not who was your builder, any issues you ran into with it, etc.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

rjd2

Post by rjd2 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:15 pm

I agree-I've listened to multiple TTSH demos now, and I can say with confidence that NONE of them sound even remotely like a 2600. I'm not throwing shade at the project, its a great idea. I just have no idea why or how it doesnt sound even close, considering the schems are supposedly duplicates. I built a modern clone of the 4035 for my modular, and it sounds VERY much like an original ARP filter. I've abandoned the theory of "vintage component mojo", for now. I'm really stumped on this one....

Interface-wise, the 2600 is easily the best monosynth control surface ever created. I'd suggest building this on the interface alone. If the TTSH was there on the tonal side, I'd build one to gig with. Til then, I'm gonna wait for his 1601 sequencer(which would be great to have!).

Reginator
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505
Band: Reginator

Post by Reginator » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:33 am

meatballfulton wrote:Push-pull,

Care to give us particulars about your purchase....did you build yourself, if not who was your builder, any issues you ran into with it, etc.
Hopefully I can help fill in some details. I built my TTSH but I have a good background in electronics and woodworking (also built the case). The TTSH had a power issue that caused the VCO's slightly modulate by ~4 cents at the rate of the internal clock. This was resolved by installing a small voltage regulator board that stabilized all three VCO's. Also the noise generator was a little too noisy (overdriven) but this was also fixed. So now it's a solid performer.

To be honest my TTSH doesn't sound like some of the TTSH examples out there but this could be because of how the synth is patched, recording methods and too much reverb on the audio clips. Mine sounds quite warm and the oscillators are juicy. I did a VCO, VCF & VCA test to see if the TTSH can hold up to my Voyager and MS-20 Kit and I can tell you it plays well with the big boys. I don't have a real 2600 to A & B it with but I'll be happy to patch up some Arturia 2600v sounds on my TTSH for comparison.

Cheers!

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:30 am

I didn't go down the TTSH road, instead I cloned the whole 2600 using the original PCB layouts - Having previously owned an original late MKII (1979) for ten years, I can honestly say that my clone does, fortunately, sound and behave like the real deal ;)

I've also heard reports that the TTSH doesn't sound "quite" right - I can't comment as I've not tried one.

Last edited by Broadwave on Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.