TTSH: Two Thousand Six Hundred (DIY Arp 2600 Clone)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Reginator
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505
Band: Reginator

Re: TTSH: Two Thousand Six Hundred (DIY Arp 2600 Clone)

Post by Reginator » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:15 pm

Sure thing Bitexion! I still have them all plugged in so I'll patch up some adventurous sounds and hit record!

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:04 pm

Bitexion wrote:My modular system has more or less the same components as a 2600..I should try to copy some 2600 patches onto it. I just have no idea how they were supposed to sound if I copy the patch sheets over so going blind is kind of pointless.
My ARP2600 came with a factory patch book, and when patching stuff up, I always wondered if how close I was getting to the intended sound. The 2600, or at least my experience with the 2600, was that there could be a bit of slop in what was drawn on the page verses what you'd get on the knob. Or slider, I should say.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it seems like there's more variability in the slider design going from a patchbook than say on a Pro One, with rotary knobs.

The only one that I really thought I nailed was the one labeled "Frankenstein", since I've heard that song so many times in my youth on the FM radio.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

Reginator
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505

Post by Reginator » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:54 am

Here's a very-very simple demo of the TTSH and Odyssey, Voyager and MS-20 kit. The demo is quite clinical but you can hear the difference in each synth, especially the filters. I used the Type III filter on the Odyssey...maybe I should have tried the Type II? The MS-20 has a sound of it's own. I tried to duplicate the third patch on the MS-20 and failed horribly, but it sounded cool so I kept it. ;)

Sorry about the ear piercing square wave

edit - just found out how to share each track instead of playlist:

TTSH

Odyssey

Voyager

MS-20

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:27 pm

Very cool. To my ears the Voyager has a nice rounded sound as compared to a bit rawer wave.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Reginator

Post by Reginator » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:02 pm

I agree with you about the Voyager. Moog is Moog, there's no denying that!

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:46 pm

Bitexion wrote:My modular system has more or less the same components as a 2600..I should try to copy some 2600 patches onto it. I just have no idea how they were supposed to sound if I copy the patch sheets over so going blind is kind of pointless.
aren't AS modules based on EMS and Moog circuits?

A lot of the 2600 character comes from that pumping VCA, thickly OSC, the various gain stages, and it's layout.
From what I've heard in eurorack it's oakley VCA or nothing, and even then, the 2600 is a specifically 20V modulation range. There's no way to 100% duplicate the 'stretch' that occurs on the 2600 going from none to 10V max, without re-speccing everything.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Reginator

Post by Reginator » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:55 pm

Here's a final TTSH clip for ideas of what it sounds like. It's a test I made to check the functionality of both my second TTSH (the Blue Marvin-ish) and ARP 1601 Sequencer clone which I just completed building. Both the Ver.1 and Ver.2 TTSH's and the ARP sequencer clone are the only instruments (no effects or onboard reverb). Took around a day and a half to record due to all the patching and around 5 min to mix (which is apparent by the low frequency heaviness). It wasn't meant to showcase my keyboard chops, only the sound of the TTSH and 1601 to make sure they were working ok.

Choronzon by Tangerine Dream was the on my mind and hence the test subject... Sorry about that Mr. Froese.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:39 am

Past March, we celebrated a shootout between a TTSH and my later black/orange 2600. First, we tried to replicate slider settings and transferred them from the 2600 to the TTSH in order to figure out how accurately they could be copied... the usual ARP problem occured: All settings were rather "off" and required a lot of readjustment.

In course of the improvised jam session it became harder and harder to distinct between the two units as to which was playing what. The TTSH is pretty close to the 2600, and if I were hard-pressed to find a 2600 but lacking the funds, I'd opt for the TTSH.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:10 pm

Bitexion wrote:I suppose they couldn't clone the boards too much or risk copyright infringements.
Late reply to this one but as companies who have had their stuff cloned by Behringer found out, there is no such thing (in the USA anyway) as copyrights on circuit designs and board layouts. Unless the circuit is patented it can be freely cloned with no consequences.

Strangely, the appearance of a product can be trademarked. For example, Fender and Gibson have trademarks on the design of their guitar headstocks to help combat copies by other manufacturers and Roland was able to get Behringer to cease and desist with copying the Boss stompbox enclosure but not the circuits inside.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Reginator

Post by Reginator » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:15 pm

Cool stuff, Junkie XL used a TTSH and ARP 1601 sequencer clone in the soundtrack for Deadpool. Starting at 0:36.