Geddy Lee's Use of Synthesizers: '85 - '87/88

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
OB-XaMinimoog

Geddy Lee's Use of Synthesizers: '85 - '87/88

Post by OB-XaMinimoog » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:15 am

Theres already a thread about his use of synths from 1981/2 to 1984 but since I'm having an early digital synth interest at the moment, I'd like to look into his use of synths after that, particularly through Power Windows and Hold Your Fire.

As far as I know, he was still using the PPG Wave on PW, but I'm not sure about Hold Your Fire.
Starting with HYF, he added a Prophet VS. The opening voice/choir sound on Force Ten is definitely PVS.
I've also heard he used a Yamaha DX7, and a Roland D-50/550 as well.
Possibly some MIDI'd Oberheim synths/racks?
Was he still using the Taurus pedals or did he upgrade to some MIDI pedals? (not sure when the first MIDI pedals came out).

Discuss.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Geddy Lee's Use of Synthesizers: '85 - '87/88

Post by Z » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:45 am

Image[/URL]

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:32 pm

As far as "Power Windows" is concerned, here's a few quotes from an article published in the Dec '85 issue of International Musician & Recording World:

"On Power Windows, like Andy Richards, Lee mostly relied on the PPG Wave 2.3, as well as the Jupiter-8, the Yamaha DX7 and an Oberheim OBX-a.
Of the Wave 2.3, he says praisingly, "It doesn't sound like any other instrument. Plus, it really holds its own when you're recording, unlike, say,
the DX7, which requires a lot of work to get it to retain its character once you put it on the track. It gets crushed easily, which the PPG doesn't."

"He continues to use the venerable Moog minimoog, which, not counting his Taurus pedals, was the first synthesizer Lee ever purchased, nearly 10
years ago."

"Andy Richards' setup consisted of a PPG Wave 2.3 synth MIDI'd to a Roland Super Jupiter synth module and a Yamaha QX-1 digital sequencer, as
well as Roland Jupiter-8 and Yamaha DX7 synths. The orchestral section that opens the new album's "Grand Designs" is Richards on the 2.3, which
is also the source for the clangorous figure on "Territories"'s third verse: a brass sample that's sequenced to Lifeson's guitar, fades out and returns
as a clavinet sound."

For the PW tour (Dec 1985 through May 1986) Lee used the following setup:
A couple of Emulator II 's, a DX 7 and a QX-1 Sequencer, along with PPG 2.3, JP 8 and two Yamaha KX 76 Remote Midi Controllers.

I don't know the exact studio setup for the next album "Hold Your Fire" but for the tour ( Oct 1987 through May 1988) Lee brought several
Akai S900 samplers, two Prophet VS synths, a PPG 2.3, a Roland Super Jupiter and a D-550, two Yamaha KX-76 MIDI controllers, two QX-I sequencers
and a DX-7, two MIDI Mappers, Korg MIDI pedals and a set of Moog Taurus Pedals.

I'd guess that they used pretty much the same setup for the studio album which was recorded between jan and april '87.

Hope this helps.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

OB-XaMinimoog

Post by OB-XaMinimoog » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:28 am

Micke wrote:As far as "Power Windows" is concerned, here's a few quotes from an article published in the Dec '85 issue of International Musician & Recording World:

"On Power Windows, like Andy Richards, Lee mostly relied on the PPG Wave 2.3, as well as the Jupiter-8, the Yamaha DX7 and an Oberheim OBX-a.
Of the Wave 2.3, he says praisingly, "It doesn't sound like any other instrument. Plus, it really holds its own when you're recording, unlike, say,
the DX7, which requires a lot of work to get it to retain its character once you put it on the track. It gets crushed easily, which the PPG doesn't."

"He continues to use the venerable Moog minimoog, which, not counting his Taurus pedals, was the first synthesizer Lee ever purchased, nearly 10
years ago."

"Andy Richards' setup consisted of a PPG Wave 2.3 synth MIDI'd to a Roland Super Jupiter synth module and a Yamaha QX-1 digital sequencer, as
well as Roland Jupiter-8 and Yamaha DX7 synths. The orchestral section that opens the new album's "Grand Designs" is Richards on the 2.3, which
is also the source for the clangorous figure on "Territories"'s third verse: a brass sample that's sequenced to Lifeson's guitar, fades out and returns
as a clavinet sound."

For the PW tour (Dec 1985 through May 1986) Lee used the following setup:
A couple of Emulator II 's, a DX 7 and a QX-1 Sequencer, along with PPG 2.3, JP 8 and two Yamaha KX 76 Remote Midi Controllers.

I don't know the exact studio setup for the next album "Hold Your Fire" but for the tour ( Oct 1987 through May 1988) Lee brought several
Akai S900 samplers, two Prophet VS synths, a PPG 2.3, a Roland Super Jupiter and a D-550, two Yamaha KX-76 MIDI controllers, two QX-I sequencers
and a DX-7, two MIDI Mappers, Korg MIDI pedals and a set of Moog Taurus Pedals.

I'd guess that they used pretty much the same setup for the studio album which was recorded between jan and april '87.

Hope this helps.
Wow, more extensive than I thought. Thanks! Didn't think he was still using the Jupiter 8 and OB-Xa on Power Windows, I thought he went almost fully digital by then.

I like that he used a lot of the Prophet VS. In my opinion thats one of the best sounding digital synths made.

I'm guessing he used the Emulators either for sampled Analog synth sounds and/or String samples?

Also, anyone know what synth made this Pad sound at the beginning? I really like it.

View My Video