Open question about gear purchases..

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

What percentage of your set up is Original Owned?

10%
33%
20$
23%
30%
13%
40%
4%
50%
6%
60%
6%
70%
6%
80%
6%
90%
No votes
100%
4%

Total votes: 52

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Re: Open question about gear purchases..

Post by V301H » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:39 am

Currently owned gear I bought new:

Pro-One
Jupiter 6
Poly-800
DX-7
RX-5
Matrix 12
Commodore SX64
Atari Mega ST-2
Atari Stacy 4
S-50
360 MIDI Patcher
S-770
PC2X/O
Macbook Pro

Gear I bought slightly used while still in production:

OB8

Gear purchased new which I no longer have:

Hohner Combo Pianet
ARP Odyssey (white face)
ARP Omni-2
Wurlitzer 200A
Leslie 147 (x2)
RX-15
RX-21L
D-70
R-8M
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

DesolationBlvd

Post by DesolationBlvd » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:25 am

Where's the 0% option?

I can (proudly?) say that I have bought nothing new. After all, only the XP-80, S5000, and Voyager were made within my lifetime.

At this rate, I'm not sure even Korg's new analog stuff will get me to break that trend.
Moog Matriarch
Oberheim OB-8/DSX/DMX
Sequential Prophet 2002
Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80
Roland JP-8/SH-101/RS-09/Kiwi-30/D-550
Korg MS-20 Kit/ARP Odyssey FSQ
Yamaha SY99/DX100
Waldorf Microwave 1
Simmons SDSV/SDS9
Elektron Analog RYTM

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:11 pm

When you buy new, you can generally at least be rest assured that it will not cost you any money to fix for the first 12 months of ownership (check for warranty before buy). I generally only buy second hand things I can not buy new or things that are cheap enough that if it blows up, all I have to do is buy a replacement, no tears.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:51 pm

When I first got into synthesis and playing music in general I could only afford used stuff.
Except for pedals and certain expendable music supplies like picks sticks and strings everything else was 2nd hand.
My MOTU 828MKII and 3 of my mic preamps were the only things I bought new until recently.
Then analog became hip again and we end up where we are now. The old analog stuff that I used to boybuy because it was what I could afford to get by, is now more pricey than the NEW stuff that has deeper features!
So most things I have bought lately are new. Though I admit I keep an eye on CL.
Just couldn't pass up the semi functional $100 Korg Poly 61 a month ago.

*weird typo.
Last edited by calaverasgrande on Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

synthRodriguez
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog - Roland - Yamaha

Post by synthRodriguez » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:30 pm

phesago wrote:buying new is f**k stupid.
1. Warranty.
2. Original manual & packaging.
3. Key contacts not full of cat hair or beer.
4. Aftertouch actually works.
5. No cracked out plastic ends or scratched up panels.
6. No scratchy, unobtainable pots.
7. The display and backlight work.
8. Keybed doesn't need rebuilding.
9. Establishing a rapport with a good retailer that will take care of you in the future.
10. Supporting the manufacturers so they'll actually be there next year.
11. Don't have to spend my increasingly precious time perusing eBay or Craigslist to find out when it arrives it was totally misrepresented by an unscrupulous seller with fake photos and has all the problems above.

Now that I'm old enough to actually have the money to buy new, if I want it, I buy it new.

If I don't like it, I sell it for practically what I paid for it and chalk up the $150 or so I lose to a "rental fee for 6 months". Where else you going to get that kind of deal?

If you're still young and strapped for cash, slightly used is good. Don't wait too long though, life on the road can be hard on a lot of great synths.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:03 pm

You know, I had a hard time wrapping me head around that thought.
I like buying new. I like the un-boxing (weird, I know) and having all the accessories.
I like a return window if I should blow the scouting phase.

But electronics lose some % of value when you walk out the door. But what else holds its value? Do you buy a jacket or jeans with the thought of what it's worth down the line? I rock it till it's out of fashion and it sits in the closet or gets donated to charity. It's USED. Used is used. That's the drop in value. Everyone says "barely used".

Some stuff simply exists before my interest date, so I am forced to buy it used. It seems to be more of a fact than a philosophy. Your rental concept is great though. I was very upset when Yamaha dropped the Motif ES-7 for $3,500 (What I paid) and then a month later Sam Ash would only take $1500 as a buy back (which they would put the price back up to ~$2,200) . Yamaha drops the ES-X version and the original ES series is worth $400 to Sam Ash. Even less now, with the XF series being sold. I thought it was worth buying new so what's my complaint now? It's jealousy over someone else getting a great deal. It's the cost of being an early adopter. It's really on me to make whatever gear I buy worth the cost of purchase. And I have to take in to consideration how long I've had it.

Hard to say what pieces will be worth, to me personally, over time.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:02 pm

scottrod wrote:
phesago wrote:buying new is f**k stupid.
If you're still young and strapped for cash, slightly used is good. Don't wait too long though, life on the road can be hard on a lot of great synths.
Its not about cash flow, as when i first started out i literally bought everything new- voyager, taurus 3, all the mooger foogers, poly evolver, xs ... I mean i can go on and on about all the s**t i bought. That entire list doesnt mean s**t(to me that is), and ultimately regardless of my well paying job i am still at heart a very cheap b***h. If i can get something at half value then there's no reason not too. I cant think of a synth worth purchasing new, however other studio essentials are different- i just couldnt find my interface used. I begrudgingly boughtthat new :/

Edit- I am not trying ot be a j**k here, this is just how i see it. Sorry if it came off that way

synthRodriguez
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog - Roland - Yamaha

Post by synthRodriguez » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:42 pm

phesago wrote:Edit- I am not trying ot be a j**k here, this is just how i see it. Sorry if it came off that way
Not at all! I totally understand your take on it. I just don't want to put up with nasty surprises anymore. It's just not worth it to me, on the other end of the spectrum. That said, I'm only in 25% new category. No plans to purchase anything soon, new or used. Still paying for the (new) Prophet 12, although I did wait for a 15% discount/18 months same as cash deal off the normal retail.
phesago wrote:...regardless of my well paying job i am still at heart a very cheap b***h.
:lol:

LOL. Good for you! I DO wish I could be more that way. I spend way too much on stuff, although I'm getting better. I always had hand-me-down everything growing up; just tired of beat-up, worn-out c**p I guess.

My last two cars were new too, even worse than buying a synth new. Ugh.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:01 pm

Yeah new is good sometimes - like it's nice to know someone else has *not* been shagging in your car :lol:

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.

Post by calaverasgrande » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:10 pm

I'd also add that if we are comparing vintage to new gear there is one area in which there is no contest.
Old gear has old capacitors. In many cases you will have to re-cap the whole beast to get it sounding like new. Now of course there is one way of thinking that the sound of vintage gear is old capacitors and crusty sliders.
But I like stuff to work as advertised.
As far as relatively contemporary gear. I still prefer to buy new whenever I can. I used to be super stingy. But I figure I should have at least one part of my life that I blow money on. Some folks that is their car or their clothes. For me it's music gear. I buy a pedal almost every weekend. I buy stuff on CL like a junkie scores dime bags.
And once a month or so I buy some shiny new gadget from Meme Antenna, Analogue Haven or Big City Music.
Last edited by calaverasgrande on Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:47 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:Yeah new is good sometimes - like it's nice to know someone else has *not* been shagging in your car :lol:
Speaking strictly for myself, I actually prefer the delicate scent of a proper shagging permeating the air of my auto, on a comfortably warm 35c day...

More topically related however, I prefer to support the smaller manufacturers in the industry whenever feasible. Most current modular companies are rather small in size, as are many of the current crop of synth-centric companies (not speaking to roland, korg and others that have 'branched out') and if possible, I like to try and support them, all other things being equal.

That said, it's exceedingly hard to not pass up a used item that's a few hundred bucks off of retail. My experience dictates that most of the same smaller companies will go above and beyond to keep you as a customer, used or not. For example, I've had DSI, Roger Linn, Analogue Systems, Make Noise, Future Retro, Gotharman, Symbolic Sound, Clavia, Macbeth ALL go far above and beyond to either help me out with my problem (to the extent of sending free replacement bits), or at the very least give me tons of great information, and always quite approachable. Very few times has it even come up or a distinction been made regarding buying used versus new. In fact, of the listed companies above, none have tried to make any distinction or question if I was the original buyer.

As far as new gear, I was fortunate enough to have income to the degree that I could buy a decent amount of new gear over the years, but I'd say overall my new purchases equate to about 20% of what I've either had or currently have (which includes studio 'stuff' as well as synths).

And finally, if I do buy a used item only to find out that the previous owner was shagging on or near said gear, it only adds to the magic.

"The LFO knob is oddly sticky."

"aah, right. Likely due to the fact that the previous owner dropped a spunky right there. Might want to throw on some hand-san after you're done."
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:34 pm

silikon wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:Yeah new is good sometimes - like it's nice to know someone else has *not* been shagging in your car :lol:
Speaking strictly for myself, I actually prefer the delicate scent of a proper shagging permeating the air of my auto, on a comfortably warm 35c day...
Well it's a DeLorean of course you do :D

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:59 am

griffin avid wrote:But electronics lose some % of value when you walk out the door. But what else holds its value? Do you buy a jacket or jeans with the thought of what it's worth down the line? I rock it till it's out of fashion and it sits in the closet or gets donated to charity. It's USED. Used is used. That's the drop in value.
Totally agree. People should be buying synths cause they want them to do something, not trying to fool themselves that if they buy something they can barely afford or that will barely get used they'll be able to sell if for a profit/not much of a loss later on.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:32 am

not to mention new synths have gotten quite cheap compared to consumer goods. Price a tablet or flat screen lately?
How about a table top analog synth?

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:50 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
griffin avid wrote:But electronics lose some % of value when you walk out the door. But what else holds its value? Do you buy a jacket or jeans with the thought of what it's worth down the line? I rock it till it's out of fashion and it sits in the closet or gets donated to charity. It's USED. Used is used. That's the drop in value.
Totally agree. People should be buying synths cause they want them to do something, not trying to fool themselves that if they buy something they can barely afford or that will barely get used they'll be able to sell if for a profit/not much of a loss later on.
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

I know I need to focus more on other things, but it irks me to no end seeing someone buy a synth, piss about with it for a few weeks, then turn around and sell it for 800 dollars more than they paid for it, as if somehow their magical touch (or whatever they're doing in the privacy of their own flat) caused the synth to increase in value.

I know I'm digressing a bit, but f**k ALMIGHTY this behavior upsets me.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome