Guess that synth: Genesis edition

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Re: Guess that synth: Genesis edition

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:52 am

Anaon wrote:Hi!

Sorry to update an old thread but I suppose my question fits here...

I was looking for the Mellotron tapes used by Banks during the 70's era, for "Entangled" in particular. Is this the 8 Choir tape of the M400?

Thank you ;)
Yes, it's an Eight Choir but heavily mangled (even a badly aligned Mellotron wouldn't sound *that* bad with *that* much wow and flutter...).

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

alfadawg01
Gear: Ensoniq SD1, Roland JV1080, Alesis Ion, iPad2 running Animoog, Galileo Organ, iM1 and Mellotronics M3000HD
Band: The Journey Worship Band

Post by alfadawg01 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:41 pm

From Armando Gallo's book Genesis: I Know What I Like, Tony Banks used the following on the tour that supported "...and then there were three":
  • Hammond T102 organ
    Mellotron 400S
    ARP 2600 synthesizer
    Moog Polymoog synthesizer
    Yamaha CP70 grand piano

KX-88

Post by KX-88 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:57 pm

As a dedicated Genesis fan, I enjoyed reading this older thread. I would also agree that the Pro Soloist was a very interesting instrument...depending on one's skill, the outboard processing, and the context of the piece, it could sound fairly thin and boring or wonderfully "2600-ish." I had the opportunity to fiddle with one for a few months back in 1980 and it was fantastic. And back then (and even more so in the 70's) one cannot overestimate the utility of being able to flick a few paddle switches and get an entirely new sound. Those square-wave sounds were especially cool. A little reverb made the sounds come alive. And of course many artists used them; I like catching whiffs of it on popular songs. Steve Miller's work comes to mind (like "Wild Mountain Honey").

I first saw Genesis in 1976 and then caught the 77, 78, and 80 tours. A very special time for the band. I was lucky enough to be at Madison Square Garden in 78 when Peter Gabriel came out for the encore ("I Know What I Like"). Of course, half of the crowd didn't even know who it was until the end when Phil introduced him!

alfadawg01
Gear: Ensoniq SD1, Roland JV1080, Alesis Ion, iPad2 running Animoog, Galileo Organ, iM1 and Mellotronics M3000HD

Post by alfadawg01 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:44 pm

KX-88 wrote:I was lucky enough to be at Madison Square Garden in 78 when Peter Gabriel came out for the encore ("I Know What I Like"). Of course, half of the crowd didn't even know who it was until the end when Phil introduced him!
I was at that show, too. We figured it out but PG was singing on the same mic as Phil. That was the only time I saw Genesis, was a very cool show.

martin_ocando

Post by martin_ocando » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:57 pm

Hello everyone,

Another resurrection of a very old, but useful thread. I'm building a Genesis tribute band with my son as the drummer/lead singer, and a friend of his, who is a great bassist and guitar player. Funnily enough, his name is Mike :lol: talk about coincidences.

Anyway, I use mainly MainStage 3.3, and have a lot of sounds already emulated or sampled. I have a great collection of virtual instruments, including the Quadra, a Prophet, a DX7, between others. I also have sampled an old Pro Soloist VST, using a Windows VM, so I'm also open to use Windows VST for sampling, if needed.

Now, I'm looking for the sound of Down and Out. Not the hammond, since I can emulate a heavy chorused and phased hammond, but the starting stringy sound. I'm not really sure what he used for that, I imagined it would be the ARP2600. The lead I can hear sound like a Pro-soloist, but I'm not sure either. Although, on Wikipedia, it says: ..."The end of the track has Banks and himself duelling between the Yamaha electric piano and his Roland guitar synthesiser"... so is very confusing trying to guess which instrument he used.
My bet would be that he used the Roland RS-202 heavily on this song. If that is correct, I wonder is there any MainStage compatible AU instrument that I can use.

Any ideas?

Thanks

alfadawg01

Post by alfadawg01 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:11 pm

Lots of Pro-Soloist in this Genesis tribute:

martin_ocando

Post by martin_ocando » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:41 am

alfadawg01 wrote:Lots of Pro-Soloist in this Genesis tribute:
Oh yes, awesome job. This guy is my hero. He did one on Rush too. Amazing musician. Very talented.

BTW, I just purchased a Kontakt RS-202, for 9 pounds only. And it sound amazing!!!

http://www.rhythmicrobot.com/product/strings-202

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:48 pm

I'm thinking the strings on "Down and Out" came from the Polymoog... this album and "A Curious Feeling" was his period of flirtation with that synth. By "Duke" it was gone.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

TheDoktor

Post by TheDoktor » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:52 pm

Someone asks earlier in this old thread what synth was used for the sound at the end of Entangled that accompanies the 8-Voice Choir Mellotron - it is the ARP Pro Soloist, using the French Horn preset with the octave switch up and lots of Vibrato on the Touch Sensor section.