Roland should reissue the

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Roland should reissue the

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:10 am

So anyone who's been here for more than five minutes has seen approximately five million posts calling on Roland to reissue the Juno 60 (not the 106, they sound plastic due to having plastic rather than wood end-cheeks), the SH-101, the TB-303 and of course the TR-808. Seeing as there are so many of these models out there (in the case of the Junos and 101) and so many recreations (808 and 303) why don't people want to see something that they can't get their hands on, like for example Roland's best (looking, never played or even seen one in the flesh) synth, the SH-7?

Do you think it's because people don't even know these synths exist because they're so uncommon? Surely there's not something special about those cheaply produced early 80s synths apart from their ubiquity. I'd love to see how many 303 clones have sold in comparison to how many 303s there were made (I won't say sold because so many of them were given away free with amps when Roland just couldn't move them).

So who else thinks there should be more desire for Roland's really great stuff, rather than the common as muck synths that we already have so many of?

CZ Rider

Re: Roland should reissue the

Post by CZ Rider » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:47 am

The Roland modulars system 700 and 100M were probably the most flexible Rolands made. With the resurgence of the modular, would be cool to see a Roland modular again. They may have been the only Japanese modular manufacturer. The Korg PS-3300 was close with three voice modules. And Yamaha never got into the modular at all AFAIK.
Still classics though.

Joshy

Post by Joshy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:44 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:So anyone who's been here for more than five minutes has seen approximately five million posts calling on Roland to reissue the Juno 60 (not the 106, they sound plastic due to having plastic rather than wood end-cheeks), the SH-101, the TB-303 and of course the TR-808. Seeing as there are so many of these models out there (in the case of the Junos and 101) and so many recreations (808 and 303) why don't people want to see something that they can't get their hands on, like for example Roland's best (looking, never played or even seen one in the flesh) synth, the SH-7?

Do you think it's because people don't even know these synths exist because they're so uncommon? Surely there's not something special about those cheaply produced early 80s synths apart from their ubiquity. I'd love to see how many 303 clones have sold in comparison to how many 303s there were made (I won't say sold because so many of them were given away free with amps when Roland just couldn't move them).

So who else thinks there should be more desire for Roland's really great stuff, rather than the common as muck synths that we already have so many of?
I agree with most everything you've said here. I think there's just so much hype built up around Juno's, 101's, etc. and there's also a lot of people looking to create "that" sound. Whether the sound is from a specific band or genre the only way to achieve one of those sounds is to have the piece of gear; at least that's what the followers of that band/genre think. I mean, how many threads have we seen that start with "I want to be able to get the sound of insert band name/producer name/song name..."?

Honestly I think the whole Juno series is just garbage for what they offer and how much people are demanding for them; same goes for 101's, 303's, 909's, 808's, etc. The Juno 6 was my first synth, got it for $15, and sold it for $300. I don't have nostalgia for it, and didn't really care for it then anyway.

What I don't really agree with is having more desire from more people about Roland's really great stuff. Not because I wouldn't love to have a modern counterpart created exactly around the old specs (like the MS-20 mini, except for those awful little keys). Rather what turns me off about that thought is the hype will grow more on awesome synths that are not in the spotlight, and thus seeing rise in demand for them. In turn prices will probably soar for those synths (even more than they are now with the juicy, fat, analog craze), and Roland most likely wouldn't reissue those spectacular synths. So, we might end up with already scarce synths at even more absurd prices.

Call me selfish but the price of synthesizers (even the most incapable one's) have risen to stupidly high prices over these few years. I'd like to try to get my hands on the cools one's I want to try before someone has the bright idea of tripling the asking prices for them.

Anyway, a bit of a rant on my end, but I'd be a lot more interested in a company like Arturia pursuing the hardware side of things more; I fell in love with the Minibrute.

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:16 am

For some reason I can't explain, vintage Rolands never really excited me, so you won't find me clamoring for a reissue. But if I were to make a suggestion, then yes, an SH-7 would be a way better choice than a 101.

If it's going to be a DCO polysynth, forget the Juno. Issue a knobby version of a JX.
You can't synthesize love

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:18 am

I'd rather think Roland or any other company should build the ultimate synth with which you can mimic all mentioned (and more) classics. Ultimate, as in: 200+ parameters if required, with the tiniest details covered such as scaling, randomization and varied responsiveness to velo/at/pb/mod/breath/key using a matrix. It's friggin' time people learn about sound design again, rather then assuming 'model xyz' does it all for them automagically! :twisted:

:lol:
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:23 am

An sh-7, 5 or even 2 would be amazing but to be honest, I'd really like a Jupiter 4. Well, actually I wouldn't, I'd like to find a well kept original for cheap as I wouldn't want thousands of dudes all sounding the same. Pretty sellfish haha.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:43 am

"Roland should reissue the"

System 700.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:13 am

Frequency Central have done clones of the 100m modules in euro if anyone's desperate for some Roland modular action. But in my opinion there are a lot more interesting modules out there these days, don't know why anyone would want a new vanilla option in modular.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:47 pm

I've got both SH-5 and SH-7. In my opinion, the SH-7 is really nothing special. However, the SH-5 is a fun synth.

I have yet to get to mess with any of the System 100 (not 100m) pieces. Even though the 101 & 102 have only one oscillator, the patch-ability expands its flexibility.

But really, aren't there enough options for new analog monosynths? Id like to see someone make an analog polysynth with voice expansion to keep the initial purchase price low and expand as you can afford.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:41 pm

^ +1000 there Z

I really don't really see how this thread is any different to the others that you take exception to every time they pop up.

Yes, there are some other great Roland synths that are really nice in their own way. But to be honest they are not as popular or well known for a good reason. They are simply not that versatile musically speaking, take the 101 or 303 however and in reality they are far more usable than simple logic would dictate. They are simple yes, but ubiquitous and rightly so.

Maybe this discussion has more to do with what kind of music you enjoy than with what synths are widely considered as popular.

But that's another whole can of worms.

Just my 2 cents.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:04 pm

The 303 is versatile? :lol:

But really the point of this thread is not to say 'Roland should do this reissue' it's to question why people want some Roland synths again but not others. I guess the title of the thread was misleading, but not the content I didn't think.

I'd love to play around with some of those old ones you don't see very often, I have a friend with a system 100 but haven't seen any of the others except the SH 1.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:21 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:But really the point of this thread is not to say 'Roland should do this reissue' it's to question why people want some Roland synths again but not others. I guess the title of the thread was misleading, but not the content I didn't think.
Yeah, all the whining gets old.
I'd love to play around with some of those old ones you don't see very often, I have a friend with a system 100 but haven't seen any of the others except the SH 1.
If you're ever in the Dallas area, you're welcome to check out my synths. My furniture shop is just 4 miles south of DFW International Airport, so even if you've got a long layover, you can check them out. I'd just need a day's notice to bring synths to the shop from home.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:30 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:The 303 is versatile? :lol:
Yes, *musical* versatility or why else would it be so ubiquitous? It (as well as the 808) have been used on more tracks than any other synth/drum machine I can think of bar none. This makes them pretty darn versatile in terms of actually how much they are used to make music and hence why they are widely considered as popular candidates for a reissue. Of course this is not to be confused with the fact that they are both extremely limited machines in terms of functionality.
Stab Frenzy wrote:But really the point of this thread is not to say 'Roland should do this reissue' it's to question why people want some Roland synths again but not others. I guess the title of the thread was misleading, but not the content I didn't think.

Ah ok fair enough, I actually have both of those (System 100 & SH-1) and they are nice for some things, but to me, they are not as musically useful as some of the other machines I have.

It really depends on personal preferences. Heck I personally prefer my Jupiter 6 to the Jupiter 8 (which I have played) and which to me is really not that versatile unless you want to make music that sounds straight out of 1981 (which can be a good or bad thing depending on what you like). But that's the thing, what is popular is just whatever the majority prefer.

More than anything though I'd personally like to see more people make their decisions based on THEIR OWN preferences, irrespective of the popular views, as gained through good old fashioned 'trial and error'.

Allow me to go on bit of a tangent here but traditionally synth companies are really not know for not being biased to popular consensus. They find something that works and they run with it, which is good to a point but in an industry fuelled by creativity not much beyond that. This kinda ties in with what I've been saying lately about manufacturers being afraid to take risks and try something different. Like they say 'if you always do what you've always done, you always get what you've alway got'.

To me if we want to move forward in the music industry (and not turn into a bunch of sheep) we need the big players to start taking risks again, not always listen to the head bean counters and give us the tools to facilitate musical originality. Which is a void that is more and more being filled by the boutique and smaller companies. There is no question Roland have gotten into a pretty counter productive rut as of recent years and I think this speaks to the music industry as a whole in terms of the definite lack of originality and risk-taking that has been going on for quite a while :geek:
Last edited by Hybrid88 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.

DesolationBlvd

Post by DesolationBlvd » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:06 pm

If Roland ever revisits analog, I'd rather see them pick up where they left off, with the Alpha Juno's oscillators and envelopes. Or, go all the way back to discrete.
The vaccine for the Access Virus.

Roland Jupiter-8 / Juno-60 / SH-101 / RS-09 / JP-8080
Moog Voyager RME
Korg MS-20 Kit / Volca Keys / Minilogue
Boss CE-300
Yamaha DX7
Akai S5000
Elektron Analog RYTM

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:41 pm

i actually think the sh7 is an awesome synth. Not worth the price they fetch, but I have gotten some very great tones out of it. Heavy as f**k for what i assume is no good god damn reason, lol A modern day version of it with full midi implementation would be unreal, but then again if they went that far they could just od the super duper synth thing and make something bigger and better.