Roland should reissue the

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Re: Roland should reissue the

Post by Swayze » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:27 am

meatballfulton wrote: So what is important?
Well since you ask, having higher standards and putting your all into whatever you create, not cutting corners to maximize profit margins...IMHO.

BTW, you make a lot of great points and I agree with everything you said. ;)

mute

Post by mute » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:11 am

the idea of the system 100, modernized, slightly miniaturized, with a bunch of expanders/modules for separate purchase.. would be the coolest thing ever. think of some of the control surfaces, etc. they could come up with nowadays to hook up to something like this (grid sequencer, kaoss pad x/y, effect modules ala space echo/chorus, etc.).

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:23 pm

volumetrik wrote:
phesago wrote:
:lol: you would think he would learn his lesson about being a douche by now lol
Whatever helps you sleep at night c**t
For a non-native speaker (like me, for instance), this is an interesting place to learn interesting (and useful) new vocabulary.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:57 pm

Yes, come to Australia if you ever want to learn any more colourful language :lol:

Alphacode

Post by Alphacode » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:13 pm

Roland will not reissue anything and if it does it will be another Juno E ... that company will be so behind in 1-2 years..

AK79
Gear: RolandSH09, RolandSH2, Korg PS6, Korg700S, SolinaStringEnsemble, MFOS SoundLabUltimate, YamahaDX7, YamahaCS01,SielOpera6, Korg Mono/Poly,OberheimOB8

Post by AK79 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:28 pm

no company should reissue anything. Look at the MS20 mini... :---)

they should develope something fresh

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:23 am

AK79 wrote:no company should reissue anything. Look at the MS20 mini... :---)

they should develope something fresh
I haven't followed the MS-20 mini much, but I haven't heard much bad about it. I heard at one point that maybe there was noise coming through even with noise turned off. Other than that I've heard it sounds like a MS20 from the 70s.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

max badwan
Gear: T1, XV 5080, ES1, Zaquencer

Post by max badwan » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:46 am

Hybrid88 wrote:Yes, come to Australia if you ever want to learn any more colourful language :lol:
'ken oath, mate.
Re-issues are like movie remakes, meh.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:40 am

Only way I'd care to see Roland reissues is if they are modestly priced. A $500 808 or a $1200 Jupiter 8 would kick a*s. Surely sole people calling for reissues must also have some hope perhaps they'd be more affordable than an 808 clone (most are $1000+) or a J8 ($$$$$).
bonne chance

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:57 pm

^ That's not "modestly" priced, that's a recipe for insolvency... :lol:

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:59 pm

synthroom wrote:
calaverasgrande wrote: It's really some Apple computer style hubris that they do not exploit that.
My gawd, you're right! Apple should reissue some vintage computers. There's a huge amount of interest in vintage computing. The should make them with modern CPUs, but have a mode where you can strip all those gigs of ram and hertz away and force it into 8-bit, 1 MHz, 8k ram mode - for the purists, you know.

But which one, the Apple I, the Apple II, or the IIe? I know, the GS. Wait, no, the original Mac. No, pick the one that no one has ever even used - the Lisa! That's it, The Lisa II is what they could call it. (I saw a Lisa demoed when I was at Reed College in the spring of 1983. And i had the chance to buy one for something like $8000 at that time.)

Anyway, I do think Roland could make a killing with a true recreation of the Jupiter 8, with more memory, more voices (how about 16 for splits of 8 one each side), full sized, and all the modern midi niceties missing from the original.
my point was not that Apple should reissue old products.
Rather that Apple does annoying things that make no sense. Like putting the power button, headphone jack and USB ports on the back of their desktops where you cant reach them. But it looks so clean!
An Apple car would have one door, in the back. But it would look great parked in your driveway!
(he types from his Mac...)
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:29 am

Swayze wrote:
meatballfulton wrote: So what is important?
Well since you ask, having higher standards and putting your all into whatever you create, not cutting corners to maximize profit margins...IMHO.

BTW, you make a lot of great points and I agree with everything you said. ;)
So you bought a V-Synth new then?

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:02 am

I didn't ;) :D
(buy it new that is)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:24 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote: So you bought a V-Synth new then?
Nope, but I sure wouldn't mind one someday.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:26 pm

Roland should reissue their Build Quality
come to think of it, so should Korg :?
sequentialsoftshock wrote:a $1200 Jupiter 8 would kick a*s.
perhaps, but at that price i'd bet the same money that it would be a limp imitation of the original that will fall apart in under 30(more like 10) years.
and hallelujah if i'm wrong but, this IS a business called Roland Inc. and not Miracle-Working for Synth Geeks.
All things considered, they have merely held their value in light of inflation and the market, as real JP-8s are absolute tanks. No joke, the metalwork and all the various interfacing is pushing nearer $1000 from the get-go; before adding any synth-voice guts...or even knobs and keys.

OK now see in the picture here, in the top-middle, back-right of the case...there's some sort of a TDK Noise Reduction unit INSIDE the JP-8 - it's a gleaming silver little box of mystery....how are they going to replicate this? By demanding TDK build them again to spec? Remove the noise by using newer spec circuits and you change the original synth, too - a LOT.

It's really really complicated.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies