Moog Little Phatty Discontinued

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Moog Little Phatty Discontinued

Post by kuroichi » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:34 am

I do think that the buttons from the little phatty (square with a circle light) could look quite nice on a sixteen step sequencer...

And they have branched out to the 500 series devices, so something in a new direction could possibly follow.

Perhaps they could do something along the lines of the Nord Drum, with a synth unit and a set of drum pads that allow flexible modulation opportunities, with Pad Area, Velocity etc.

Although personally I could see them revamping the Voyager line first, ala sub phatty.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:09 am

Blue Monster 65 wrote:'Cause I like drum machines. I'd mess with it a bit, see what it can do, then probably sell it on. Just my fun. I can afford to do so, so why not?

And, being something completely different from Moog, I'd like to see what they do.

And no, I didn't buy the guitar because I tend to hate guitar synthesizers - I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to my six string friends.
Well, fair enough, Scott... thank you.

Well, the thing about the Moog Guitar being a synth... that's already been talked about.
The Vo 96 is a synth, but it's not a guitar synth. It's an additive synth. And it's the coolest thing ever. But that's another conversation.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:17 am

CZ Rider wrote:I'm sure millions of people have heard the 700 he used but do not realize it.
Yes. This. I guess you don't realize that we are saying the same thing.

(Also... I mean, seriously... you must know that I know these things. It's my job. I've read Bob's own notes regarding these orders. I'm pretty sure I can find Eric Siday's phone number written in Bob's handwriting.)

But yes. I know this was made... and certainly, people have probably heard it used... but, as you say... unknowingly.

And that's my point. The bunches of kids shouting for Moog to make a drum machine aren't doing so because they're big fan's of Siday's work. Or because they know anything about MOMA. Or, really anything, other than people idolize the name Moog, and want Moog to make everything they wish they had. And that's the point of my question.

But yes. If Animoog is any indication of what Moog can have people make when they want to do something cool, they are capable of making a great drum machine. Anyone can do something great if they hire the right people to do that great thing. But one must also keep in mind that it is a dangerous move marketing-wise to move out of your niche. McDonalds could move into pizza. Netflix could move into video games. Etc. It's a dangerous move to blur your niche. Moog already did it with Animoog... and that actually worked out pretty well... but who knows.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:18 am

Moog has already done that many, many times, as has been brought up--Moog guitar, iOS synth, iOS effects, Moog piano bar, poly synth...oh and an affordable, portable synth called the Mini!

Back to your question: It isn't just fanboy mentality. The Moog ladder filter makes for some dope drum sounds.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:42 am

Look I am not gonna lie. I am a total Moog fanboy. A 45 year old who discovered Moog synths when he was 12 and used to hang out at Radio Shack. Yes my first synth was a Moog MG-1, still have one.
My point?
I dunno, just kinda being defensive. Finished watching that video memorialto the Little Phatty. Kinda depressing.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:47 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote: Yes. This. I guess you don't realize that we are saying the same thing.

(Also... I mean, seriously... you must know that I know these things. It's my job. I've read Bob's own notes regarding these orders. I'm pretty sure I can find Eric Siday's phone number written in Bob's handwriting.)
I just don't see how you can make a statement that "Moog never made a drum machine" ?
I posted pictures and sound samples of the 700. It's a drum machine, and it's only purpose was to make analog synthesizer drums. It's not a 900 series modular patched to make drum sounds with a 960 sequencer. Almost any synth can be patched/programed to make drum/percussion sounds. The 700 was designed to do only drum/percussion, and had a programable automated rythm. The very definition of "Drum Machine". Sure it was large, like every other 1969 Moog synthesizer. Just because many are unaware that Bob Moog and Eric Siday collaborated to make one of the first programable drum synthesizers back in late 1969, does not equal never happened. Millions of people were introduced to synthesized beats in those early 70's TV and radio "Breaking New" intros Eric did, along with dozens of shows and documentaries that used his music intros.
I think Bob and Eric should get more credit for making it happen, and desigining one of the frist of it's kind. Years ahead of the EKO Computerhythm.

So Moog make a new drum machine? Why not, they made one of the originals.
But for now the next new product will be the "Minifoogers".

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:09 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:Look I am not gonna lie. I am a total Moog fanboy. A 45 year old who discovered Moog synths when he was 12 and used to hang out at Radio Shack. Yes my first synth was a Moog MG-1, still have one.
My point?
I dunno, just kinda being defensive. Finished watching that video memorialto the Little Phatty. Kinda depressing.
Me too.

The first synth I ever played was the MG-1 in Radio Shack. I would spend hours making noises on the thing.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:33 pm

Shall we turn this into a "Whatever happened to Radio Shack" thread?
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:47 pm

I had some questions, but they had no answers. For real, the manager replied, "what's a capacitor?"
Bassist, synth junkie

Voodoo Ray
Gear:
Akai
Waldorf
Roland
Yamaha

Post by Voodoo Ray » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:22 pm

griffin avid wrote:Isn't that what the DSI Tempest is supposed to be?
Hmmm.....seems like, spec-wise EVERYONE should have picked one up....

Maybe we need a favorite record to be made on one first....
First we need them to be discontinued and picked up cheaply on the secondhand market to become a cult item ten years later.

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:35 pm

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:13 pm

Rick N Boogie wrote:I had some questions, but they had no answers. For real, the manager replied, "what's a capacitor?"
Yep. Have had that "discussion" and many others similar. Now if I'm out of a part, I tell my client that it'll have to wait 'til my order comes in. Not worth going to RS to not find what I want.

I had a Tempest. I sold it, too. The latest OS might have kept me from getting rid of it so quickly (six months was enough), but probably not.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:18 pm

What's the word on the new Moog guitar pedals?
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:06 pm

I could see Moog doing a drum machine before I could see them getting into the lower-priced market.

The times in the past when they have expanded their line have still been pre,ium products. The Moog Guitar is not cheap and neither is Animoog, compared to other apps.

Personally, i would love to see them swoop down and steal part of the korean-made plastic-box market share from Korg but I will not hold my breath.

Yeah, what about those guitar pedals?

Another product I always thought they should make is a dedictaed wah pedal, which they could market to both guitarists and synthesists with the same tag line: "Why should guitar players have all the fun?" or "Why should synth players have all the fun?" with corresponding ad copy espousing the virtues of a dedicated wah with a Moog filter and a semi-compact plug-and-play design.

Azurebirch

Post by Azurebirch » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:47 pm

I would just be happy with a new traditional Moog keyboard monosynth in £2000 range.