Name some underrated/hated synths that you like

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Re: Name some underrated/hated synths that you like

Post by ryryoftokyo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:55 pm

Korg Poly 61. I think it's such a shame that board doesn't get the love it deserves.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:20 pm

groy wrote:Korg 707 and, I would have to assume, DS8.
It ain't amazing, but for what it is, it's certainly capable enough that I enjoy it and programing is easy.
The Timbre & 2 EGs sliders on the DS-8 are great for manipulating the sound in real time. I don't think that feature is available on any other FM synth.

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 1 old Japanese mono-monster, an old BBC Brit, and 2 Americans: one old NY fat poly, the other, a young Californian mono/para.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:33 pm

I owned a Kawai SX-240 for a while, and I thought it rocked!
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: youshootiscore

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:33 pm

Seems like nearly all of my current hardware synths have been underrated, but often praised.
  • Alpha Juno/MKS-50: Not many sweet spots and no knobs, but good PWM and sub-oscillator sounds
  • MFB Kraftzwerg: Mostly I see just unfamiliarity and some critiques of its small, cramped size and flimsy build quality. I would also add that the VCF is too noisy and the Midi/CV converter sucks. But otherwise it's basically a mini modular in a compact, cheap package. Who knew circuits built from SMD components could sound so much like vintage 70's?
  • Polivoks: Horrible maintenance and tuning reliability, misleading knob positions and alot more fragile than it appears, but it screams character and is more flexible than you might think. I modded mine to add VCF/VCA modulation by VCO2 and filter envelope modulation of pitch, plus it already had the CV/Gate mod
  • Yamaha CS-15: Judged as tame, boring or too "sweet", and some don't like the somewhat jumbled user interface and lack of common monosynth features found elsewhere. The parallel channel configuration offers some surprising tonal flexibility. Hiding 'neath that sweet sonic footprint is a wailing beast waiting to be released by overdriving the highpass filter, feeding the headphone out back in. Modding it to also allow combining the two channels into one serial channel adds even more tonal flexibility
  • Roland SH-101: I believe the common hater critique is "plasticy, overrated and simplistic". I mostly agreed until I modded the h**l out of it. I don't even really use the oscillator anymore, but rather send the SEM output to its filter audio input, and SEM envelope becomes the 2nd envelope, like a poor man's System 100. The sequencer isn't that bad either, for basic stuff.
  • Ensoniq ESQ-1: Temperamental, prone to failure, jack of all trades but master of none, too clean and digital to be roped in with the polyphonic analogue classics, are common complaints. I'd agree with all but the last one. Maybe the oscillators are digital, but there's a certain bold, bright and subtly distorted and aggressive character that I've not heard in any other vintage polysynth. Plus the editing is dead easy without the need for knobs and the sequencer has alot of potential.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:03 pm

+1 on the Poly61. Not a lot of hands on control, but dang does it sound cool!

Also, on the same note, the Korg DW8000. Seriously one of the coolest synths I have ever owned, and I regret selling mine.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:14 am

The CS-15 is screaming for a hard sync button, and ring modulation. They even put a separate slider on each VCO that let the pitch glide or rise from a chosen point back to the held note at a chosen speed. What else could that be useful for than a hard sync sweep/ringmod? Weird.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:20 am

The CS-15 is screaming for a hard sync button, and ring modulation. They even put a separate slider on each VCO that let the pitch glide or rise from a chosen point at a chosen speed. What else could that be useful for than a hard sync sweep/ringmod? Weird.

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:32 am

Two synths that I still regret letting go (traded in on a Rompler ... I'm still wondering if it was a fair trade tbh!).

1) the oft maligned Korg Poly-800ii. It was the first 2-Osc synth I owned and one with built in fx - and those delay/flanger effects really lifted this synth for me. The basses packed quite a punch, and it was possible to get some decent pads even with only four note polyphony.
2) Roland SH-3A - I often wish I still had this. Between it's mixable waveforms at different footages plus the mod routings, it did some truly great things. I reckon I'd probably pick one up again if I had the chance.
Last edited by mpa1104 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.

Em Pe Ge
Gear: Akai MPC1000, Moog Slim Phatty, Roland Alpha Juno 1, Animoog (via iRig midi), Ableton Live, Reason.

Post by Em Pe Ge » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:42 am

Alpha Juno.. pretty decent poly, and you can pick them up for next to nothing. i know a lot of the roland DCOs have sort of mixed opinions, but i've had a lot of fun with them. thinking about picking up a JX8P as well

Reginator
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505
Band: Reginator

Post by Reginator » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:43 am

+1 for the CZ-101 - my first programable synth. It cost me around $400 bucks back then. Damn, I loved that synth.

As for a Rompler I dig the CS1x. Some might use it for a wheel chock while changing the oil in their car but I think it's still kinda cool. ;)

piRoN
Gear: A fair bit.

Post by piRoN » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:26 am

Bitexion wrote:The CS-15 is screaming for a hard sync button, and ring modulation. They even put a separate slider on each VCO that let the pitch glide or rise from a chosen point at a chosen speed. What else could that be useful for than a hard sync sweep/ringmod? Weird.
Mmm. I always found the CS15 a little frustrating in that way - it perpetually felt like it was one feature short of what you needed. Which is a shame because it's a great little synth, especially just to muck around on and find inspiration.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11

Percivale
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Post by Percivale » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:07 am

Pardon me, is that an oxymoron? How can something be often lauded with praises and be deemed as under-rated? :roll:
Solderman wrote:Seems like nearly all of my current hardware synths have been underrated, but often praised.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:10 am

Thank you mercifully for your kind wisdom, mister 3 posts in and somehow promoted to the board of directors. Often praised by those few who have used them, underrated by everyone else.

There. Feel Better Boss? :banghead:
May your 4th post be more useful to the thread topic.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:26 am

Ensoniq VFX (incl. VFX-SD and SD-1)

adhmzaiusz