Name some underrated/hated synths that you like

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Name some underrated/hated synths that you like

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:17 am

piRoN wrote:
Bitexion wrote:The CS-15 is screaming for a hard sync button, and ring modulation. They even put a separate slider on each VCO that let the pitch glide or rise from a chosen point at a chosen speed. What else could that be useful for than a hard sync sweep/ringmod? Weird.
Mmm. I always found the CS15 a little frustrating in that way - it perpetually felt like it was one feature short of what you needed. Which is a shame because it's a great little synth, especially just to muck around on and find inspiration.
Yep, your CS-15 pushed me over the edge into modular land for that very reason. Now I have all the features!

The Kawai K5000 series are vastly underrated IMO. Had a K5000W for a while; sounds amazing, fantastic keybed. Requires a PhD to program, but worth it.

Percivale
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Post by Percivale » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:48 pm

Not at all. I'm pointing out in a logical manner. The no. of prior posts has no relevance.
Solderman wrote:Thank you mercifully for your kind wisdom, mister 3 posts in and somehow promoted to the board of directors. Often praised by those few who have used them, underrated by everyone else.

There. Feel Better Boss? :banghead:
May your 4th post be more useful to the thread topic.

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:43 pm

this is pushing the sub $500 rule I made up but...

Alesis Fusion (any size) - Nice keybed, weird jack of all trades rompler/VA/FM/sampler but if you spend a little time with the patches/converting SF2 programs/hollow sun programs etc it can be fantastic.
Got murdered in retail due to an iffy UI / bugs / "but its not a Motif/Fantom" syndrome, I got mine used when the prices were plumetting...doubt i'll ever sell it.

I also miss my Jx-3p that has been mentioned a few times....I have a juno 106 now but the jx w/ pg200 was more fun....sold it due to low funds and still regret it.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:24 pm

My vote:

Analogue Solutions Leipzig & Telemark

I'm not sure why ASol doesn't get more praise. People are going absolutely bonkers over new monosynths, but they've had these out for much longer than the new hotness.

For a relatively simple interface, they have some delightful modulation options and therefore an interesting and potentially complex sound. Plus, the Telemark as an additional voice in a eurorack configuration is ace.

I've seen *some* praise for the Vostok and Tereshkova -- both of which I've owned and miss even though I have all of that same functionality and more in proper eurorack -- but it's a shame they don't get more visibility.

I'm pretty interested to see how the Polymath turns out.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

stich

Post by stich » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:22 pm

Yay! Both of my hardware synths made this list. I have an M-Audio Venom and an Alesis QS-7. Yeah, both were super cheap with the Venom being $200 brand new and the QS-7 being $240 used. Since the Venom is programmed to make dance music more or less, the QS-7 is a nice addition for more traditional sounds like strings and wind instruments. Everyone should have a good ROMpler for that!

antilles
Gear: Virus C, String Melody II, Triton, MS-20, M1, Juno-60, Paraphonic 505, SH-09, VK-09, JD-800, JD-990, Pro One, CS-30, SY-1, TX81Z
Band: Antilles

Post by antilles » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:03 pm

Well both JX-3P and JX-8P are underrated IMO. The Yamaha SY-1 is pretty amazing but gets little love. Also the Korg T3 seems to be forgotten.

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:21 pm

silikon wrote:My vote:

I'm not sure why ASol doesn't get more praise. People are going absolutely bonkers over new monosynths, but they've had these out for much longer than the new hotness.

For a relatively simple interface, they have some delightful modulation options and therefore an interesting and potentially complex sound. Plus, the Telemark as an additional voice in a eurorack configuration is ace.

I've seen *some* praise for the Vostok and Tereshkova -- both of which I've owned and miss even though I have all of that same functionality and more in proper eurorack -- but it's a shame they don't get more visibility.

I'm pretty interested to see how the Polymath turns out.
Hey, I've actually been really interested in these. Do you have any music featuring any of the AS stuff? If so, would you mind PMing me some links to stuff you have recorded with them? I want to learn more about them but there is not a whole lot of in depth info on the internet.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:42 pm

Italian monosynths from the 70s are also way underrated IMO. Whish I hadn´t turned down a Welson Syntex (not Synthex) 10 years ago just because it looked so damned ugly. As if italian design just concentrated on cars and bikes. And it still does look ugly, but the sound!
Herrare umanum est.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:33 am

Does the Ensoniq SQ-80 count as "underrated" on release?

For that matter how about Yamaha Motif XF...underrated and hated :help:

Sorry I'm a slut for workstations ;)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:55 am

^ No need to be sorry, workstations are great :)

I have to disagree that the JX3P and 8P are underrated, sure they *used* to be a few years back, but just have a look at what they want for them here in Aus now :roll:

musden
Gear: radikal technologies accelerator
Band: aipracs

Post by musden » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:05 pm

nordlead 4? 8-)

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:22 pm

Mooger5 wrote:Italian monosynths from the 70s are also way underrated IMO. Whish I hadn´t turned down a Welson Syntex (not Synthex) 10 years ago just because it looked so damned ugly. As if italian design just concentrated on cars and bikes. And it still does look ugly, but the sound!
Damn, you missed out man. It's the first synth I turn on and I use it on everything. It has more character than anything else I have or ever tried, granted, there is quite a bit I haven't tried.
I also think it's really good looking but I think that grew out of love. When I spotted it, I thought that it was a beat up old organ maybe but when I got closer I saw the sliders and text, I gulped and got a nice tingle.

Edit: OHMYGOD! I was just searching for the vid with my actual synth in it as there only seems to be 2-3 vids online and someone has recently posted this!

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX-3P, D-50, JP-8080.
Korg Kaossilator, MicroKorg,
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:33 pm

This is pretty far from the OP's value of near $500! And they are still manufactured today, leaving them a chance to get more attention in the future. Maybe they are underrated because they just don't circulated enough for more people to see and try them out?
Available for sale:
-DSI Mopho
-TherapSID mk1
-Chamber of Sounds Jupiter III (mk1) & Jupiter T (mk1)
-The Complete DX7- Howard Massey (with original enclosed sounds on soft disks)

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:07 pm

fh991586 wrote:

This is pretty far from the OP's value of near $500! And they are still manufactured today, leaving them a chance to get more attention in the future. Maybe they are underrated because they just don't circulated enough for more people to see and try them out?
I know they're a little ways outside of the $500 dollar limit, but not so far that it's ridiculous. Plus, ASol discontinued the original Leipzig (the S and SK are now in) and as stated previously, they've been out for quite some time but I hear nothing about people praising them. I think they're brilliant machines that on the used market, are well within reach of their contemporaries (under $USD1000) and solidly built, as well as having features that give them quite a wide range of timbres.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:08 pm

zoomtheline wrote:
Edit: OHMYGOD! I was just searching for the vid with my actual synth in it as there only seems to be 2-3 vids online and someone has recently posted this!
Thanks for the link, that demo does it justice! Lesson learned.
Herrare umanum est.