Name some underrated/hated synths that you like

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: Name some underrated/hated synths that you like

Post by pflosi » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:28 pm

dude163 wrote:what about Nord Micromodulars?
They rock hard, but are neither underrated nor hated...

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:34 pm

Poly 800 has a terrible keybed, and the programming is sadistic. But there is something nice about the paraphonic arrangement. Almost like a string machine with more params to bend. Esp with the absurdly named "moogslayer" mod it really gets some nice tones.

The DX7 is oft maligned for it's overused harmonica patch (thanks Paul Schafer) and the other terrible presets. But if you take the time to program one they can make some great patches. Especially if you are going for an industrial/experimental sound. I like making metallic patches that really push the upper limits of the frequency response. You get some awesome aliasing artifacts.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

stich

Post by stich » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:02 pm

I used to have a DX-100. I modified one patch and it took quite a while to navigate the menus. Ultimately I got bored with it, but for a long while I liked it.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:20 pm

stich wrote:I used to have a DX-100. I modified one patch and it took quite a while to navigate the menus. Ultimately I got bored with it, but for a long while I liked it.
you pretty much MUST use a PC editor/librarian with the DX synths.
Otherwise they will drive you mad.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:53 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:Poly 800 has a terrible keybed, and the programming is sadistic. But there is something nice about the paraphonic arrangement. Almost like a string machine with more params to bend. Esp with the absurdly named "moogslayer" mod it really gets some nice tones.
just plugged my poly800 back in. i got some nice chord env stabs with the paraphonic filter, and some nice harmonies using the osc double/whole mode. its aight for what it is, nice for a few good chord stabs as despite the monophonic 'chord memory' trick i havent tried the thing doesnt exactly scream lead machine to me.

ive had a poly800 contribute its fair part to 2-3 tracks. i have a hunch that all the paraphonic filter haters out there are the same people wasting their time tuning 8 different oberheim 8 voice filters one by one and actually get nothing done musically as a result :lol:

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:07 pm

c-level wrote:
calaverasgrande wrote:Poly 800 has a terrible keybed, and the programming is sadistic. But there is something nice about the paraphonic arrangement. Almost like a string machine with more params to bend. Esp with the absurdly named "moogslayer" mod it really gets some nice tones.
just plugged my poly800 back in. i got some nice chord env stabs with the paraphonic filter, and some nice harmonies using the osc double/whole mode. its aight for what it is, nice for a few good chord stabs as despite the monophonic 'chord memory' trick i havent tried the thing doesnt exactly scream lead machine to me.

ive had a poly800 contribute its fair part to 2-3 tracks. i have a hunch that all the paraphonic filter haters out there are the same people wasting their time tuning 8 different oberheim 8 voice filters one by one and actually get nothing done musically as a result :lol:
I tend to find strengths where others see weakness. I like the steppiness of the filter envelope. I also think the paraphonic filter arrangement is really cool when you are holding a chord and jsut moving a one or two intervals back and forth.
I used to wonder about upgrading the output amps on the Poly 800 to get rid of some of the fuzz and haziness. I swear it would sound much better if you could really hear the DCOs in all their gritty glory.
Oh that is the other thing I liked about the 800. opening the filter all the way on a bass patch. Very ugly.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:49 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:Oh that is the other thing I liked about the 800. opening the filter all the way on a bass patch. Very ugly.
So true. So wonderfully ugly. Hopefully I'll get my modded 800 back real soon.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:13 am

JX-3P #1 !!

CZ-1
SY77
V-Synth (This one is more misunderstood than under-rated).
MS2000! Got character and balls , unlike most VAs I've ever tried!

I've never hated any of those myself, in fact I love them all!

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:25 am

redchapterjubilee wrote:Heh. Juno 106. Maybe not hated so much as always shunted aside by the "ermehgerd the Juno 6 and 60 are FAR superiuh to the 106" crowd. Sure, I know all about the reliability factor and all, but acetone restores chips AND there are good chip clones out there to keep these synths alive. It's no sweathog heritage 2VCO monster like an Ob-X or Prophet 5 or Jupiter 8. It's a subtle synthesizer. Pads are gauzy, ethereal, somewhat smooth and glassy. Raise the resonance and it sweeps in a uniquely Roland sort of way. It is also at times a very buzzy raspy machine if you fire up all the waveforms at once and raise the cutoff (it cuts with lots of mids that way...stands out amongst lots of guitars in the mix). It can also be a snappy and obese bass machine if programmed properly (I love to layer 106 bass with that snap with a Moog bass to give it a little more largess). Anyhow, I feel the 106 gets an unfair rap and doesn't get the love I feel it should.
106 is probably the least under-rated synth in history!!! It has a massive following for reasons that escape me right now.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:18 am

I think a lot of stuff like the MG1, JX3P and Juno 106 that is de classe for analog enthusiasts is actually kind of coveted by new wave/dark wave guys and some alterna-indie folks.

Oh yeah the Moog/Realistic MG1. People always bag on it for not having pitch or mod wheels. Or also for the "Polyphony" organ tone. Then there is the whole Radio Shack thing, which is either an embarrassing brand or ironically cool I guess. But it does have a ring mod and there is that osc sync. It's also probably one of the cheapest vintage Moogs with CV/gate, even if it is blasted bloody strig.

If anything I'd say it is one of my most awesome sounding synths when it's running straight. The actual worse part of it is the odd laggy keyboard feel. If you are playing it by itself it isn't too bad, but when switching back and forth with another synth it is really slow and weird.

Apparently you can change a cap on the polyphony section or disable it and get snappier action. Haven't tried that yet. I kind of like using a touch of the polyphony section and dont want to mess with it.

philip

Post by philip » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:41 am

Korg Trident

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:59 pm

Yep, from what I read somewhere the MG/1 triggers the poly organ sound first, and the synth section is further down the chain. This is what's causing the lag.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:11 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:Yep, from what I read somewhere the MG/1 triggers the poly organ sound first, and the synth section is further down the chain. This is what's causing the lag.
Oh the organ is the trigger for the synth section.
I cant recall the details right now, but basically that is why the capacitor value needs to be changed, it was set conservatively as a compromise between the two.
I think also the very rudimentary envelope is to blame.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:24 am

Lots of people posting in this thread who don't know what underrated means. Junos underrated? SH-101? MG1? :lol: They all have their charms but underrated they most definitely are not. Look at the prices they go for on ebay.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:26 am

the MG 1 just went up in price in the last 2 years. Even then it doesnt fetch near what a Rogue does, and those are pretty much shoulder to shoulder.
Also at this point it is hard to think of any analog ever made that doesnt have it's fan base.
and hence a higher price lately due to analog being "back".