Name some underrated/hated synths that you like

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Name some underrated/hated synths that you like

Post by Solderman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:35 am

Let the record show, I only said the SH-101 was hated. Mister '5 posts and brazenly manifested as the superior linguist' did ask for clarification elsewhere, however. No softsynths getting any love?
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:00 am

Not a synth as such but my most favourite feature on any of my mono synths was hated or at least disliked by many people.

ARP PPC pads. Love em.
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

tamla
Gear: Nord G2 Engine, Roland VariOS, custom Akai MPC2000XL, Akai S612, Korg TR-Rack, Korg Prophecy, Oakley Filtrex 2

Post by tamla » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:41 am

Novation KS-Rack, <10yr old 3osc VA for under £150, with lots of knobs and sliders. Having had a JP8000 and a Supernova (both sold long ago), I was wary about diving back into a "trancey" synth. I much prefer this.
E-Mu Morpheus (as mentioned previously) - I got mine for next to nothing, and I hardly see any kicking about. They are really good.
Yamaha SY/TG77, 6-op FM + AWM2 - ok it's a hard one to crack, but once you do, you'll love it. At around £100 it was my first bargain.
Korg Z1 - ignore the presets, play with it, it's unreal. Best £200 I ever spent.
Quasimidi Technox - ok, a cheap mid-90s box of sounds, but being 16-part multitimbral it's very versatile.
Korg TR-Rack - I get the feeling no-one really likes these anymore as there always seem to be a lot of them on the market, therefore you can get them quite cheap (bonus for me) which is a shame. Love it, especially the motion synths.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:04 pm

Yeah I've always thought the Korg MicroX had some amazing sounds, especially when you consider the pittance they're going for these days - super versatile little board for the money :)

tamla
Gear: Nord G2 Engine, Roland VariOS, custom Akai MPC2000XL, Akai S612, Korg TR-Rack, Korg Prophecy, Oakley Filtrex 2

Post by tamla » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:47 pm

^ I have a MicroX and a Triton Rack, and the former is kind of the portable version of the latter (obvious differences aside). I know Octave One were using one a lot for their gigs a couple of years back (I saw it in some pics and went on a mad hunt to find one).
I like some of the expansions for the Triton, hence why I kept it. Didn't bother with the MOSS board since I have a Z1 and a Prophecy. Pretty obvious I'm a Korg fan.

Another couple I forgot about:
GEM S3 - I paid less than a pound a key for mine, and it has a great keyboard action. Plus the filter.... Heavy though, can't really gig with it.
Technics SX-WSA 1 - mine is completely battered so I could never sell it on, but she is pretty unique.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:31 pm

+1 Juno-106. Over-rated?: maybe. Over-priced for the sheer volume produced?: the voice chip reviving process can account for some of that cost. I've flipped at least 4 of them and thought each time I didn't need this simple 1-osc per voice synth. But there is something about the sound that brought me to my 5th, and it will be the keeper.

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:25 pm

Pro5 wrote: 106 is probably the least under-rated synth in history!!! It has a massive following for reasons that escape me right now.
(apart from voice chip issues) ....rock solid tuning? lush chorus? LFO delay? LFO->PWM buzziness? 6 voice mono mode? pleasing portamento? MIDI? dead simple UI?

sure it has its shortcomings, only one ENV, limited routing, digital stepping...

yall need to power down the 'DCO' witchhunt. just cause the 60 has wood endblocks and its oscillators dont lock digitally dont make it any different. its how you use it. and MIDI allows for much more modern integration.
garranimal wrote:+1 Juno-106. Over-rated?: maybe. Over-priced for the sheer volume produced?: the voice chip reviving process can account for some of that cost. I've flipped at least 4 of them and thought each time I didn't need this simple 1-osc per voice synth. But there is something about the sound that brought me to my 5th, and it will be the keeper.
right on i dont believe the 106 belongs on either side (underrated or hated) of this argument. it is acclaimed enough by those wise enough to not look down their nose on it... maybe im just partial and some of yall bitter bc i didnt pay Ebay prices for mine....

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:57 pm

The juno6/60 have dcos as well. Those are blown out. Indie bands love using them for straight saw patches. Boring s**t. They are very powerful though. Just listen to any cabaret Voltaire record.

Octave Kitten. It kills most vintage monos. Maybe it's underrated because about 3 people actually own one.
Last edited by Jabberwalky on Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:59 pm

JD990 = Monster synth on the cheap

JX3P = Classic Roland

AX80 = Beast

bluntedcircuit
Gear: machinedrum, mpc1000, blofeld, maschine, kp3, esq1, ms20, ableton

Post by bluntedcircuit » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:08 am

Probably not so under rated now as the prices have gone up signicantly - but the Roland jx3p/8p were pretty good and when I had them I got them both together for under 200.

I'm not sure if this is under rated as a community or if I just under estimated them, but I just got a desktop blofeld and I'm regretting not taking them seriously. Just got one today and I have it on the end of a midi chain of mpc into machinedrum into the blofeld and this little box is a serious percussion beast paired with those 2. MD programs the basic rythm while mpc embellishes and adds the fills. If it had extra outs or a midi thru for chaining multiple units this would be the ultimate percussion system for me

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:54 pm

The Roland Super JX-10. People give it a lot of c**p for its shoddy MIDI implementation (and understandably so) and being a parameter-access synth, and its filter is a bit on the generic side (not bad, just not with any particularly distinctive character.) But my God, it is such a big sound, and very versatile. Stack up four oscillators, four envelopes, two lowpass filters, and two (cursory) high-pass filters per voice in dual mode, add chorus, and you can make some huge sounds. Cross-mod (and the ability to combine it with oscillator sync) allows you to create some nearly Yamaha FM sounds, too. Even a lot of the presets are great. It's still my "desert island synth" over even my MS-20 Mini and DX7, and that's saying a lot considering how much I love the sound of Yamaha's FM synths. I can get lost in that thing for hours.

And speaking of FM: the Yamaha V50 doesn't get anywhere near the love it ought to. Dance- and techno-heads rave about the TX81Z and "Lately Bass," and even the DX11 gets some of that love, but the V50 is two TX81Zs with over three times the user patch memory, a vastly improved interface, a vastly improved multitimbral MIDI implementation, and a decent-ish effects unit all in one pretty nice keyboard. Yet it seems to be largely ignored despite that. I nabbed one from a couple hours north of me for $100, sold my TX81Z, and haven't missed it in the slightest.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:06 am

I know it's been said a couple of times already, but definitely the ESQ-1/SQ-80 for me. Whenever I'm writing music and go to a synth for inspiration, I almost always turn to my trusty SQ-80. I can get so many great, sounds out of it and I've managed to create some patches on it that I absolutely love and have never duplicated on any other machines. With a super easy to use interface, 4 envelopes, 3 lfos, 3 oscillators, aftertouch, and an analog filter, how can you go wrong?

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:22 am

I'm still yearning for the moment in the near future when I've gotten enough obligations/necessities taken care of that I can afford to nab an SQ-80. Absolutely incredible machine, it jumps between nearly-analogue sounds and '80s digital noises with ease, and sometimes sounds damn near Amiga-like.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Nistegmos
Gear: Alesis M1 Active 320 USB Monitors/Interface; Alesis Q49 USB MIDI Controller; Reaper; FL Studio; Harmor; Vember Surge; Toxic Biohazard; freewares.
Band: Nystagmus

Post by Nistegmos » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:37 am

Casio VZ-10M rackmount with XLR output! great modulation responsiveness and assignability. Polarity switching of vibrato and tremolo. multiple detuned layers of shrill phase-mod or fm sounds. It sounded like Jan Hammer's best synths at certain times.

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:24 am

K2000
Definitely not underrated nor hated, but perhaps a bit forgotten. It's digital, but it does make some amazing sounds.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.