Name some underrated/hated synths that you like

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Re: Name some underrated/hated synths that you like

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:00 pm

ninja6485 wrote:Hardware sequencers in general have really fallen off.
only in the MIDI realm, which leaves a h**l of a lot to be desired anyway so that's no big loss at all

au contraire, there are more analog sequencers around now than ever...at least 100 different ones can be bought new today, no joke. there is no wider variety of analog circuits in synths than there are in analog sequencers. and things they can do are so beyond the scope of MIDI it's not even funny (sequencer as a custom-waveshape VCO? no problem - just clock it at audio-rate and set each stage/step where you like to create the waveshape - viola, you've instantly transformed your sequencer into a variable-waveshaping VCO)
filters and VCOs are a distant 2nd & 3rd compared to the variability in viable analog sequencer designs; there are thousands, really. just ask any synth designer that truly knows their analog stuff.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:03 am

There's nothing quite like this "Vintage Russian Analog Synthesizer"

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/msg/4117474731.html

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:38 am

shaft9000 wrote:
ninja6485 wrote:Hardware sequencers in general have really fallen off.
only in the MIDI realm, which leaves a h**l of a lot to be desired anyway so that's no big loss at all

au contraire, there are more analog sequencers around now than ever...at least 100 different ones can be bought new today, no joke. there is no wider variety of analog circuits in synths than there are in analog sequencers. and things they can do are so beyond the scope of MIDI it's not even funny (sequencer as a custom-waveshape VCO?problem - just clock it at audio-rate and set each stage/step where you like to create the waveshape - viola, you've instantly transformed your sequencer into a variable-waveshaping VCO)
filters and VCOs are a distant 2nd & 3rd compared to the variability in viable analog sequencer designs; there are thousands, really. just ask any synth designer that truly knows their analog stuff.
yea, I meant dedicated midi sequencers. I thought about the fact that someone might point out analog sequencers, but was too lazy to amend my post. Thanks for validating the fact that they're underrated/underdogs btw! The problems that arise from software frustrate me and kill my creativity, while the problems that arise from using hardware just force me to make more focused songs and use my ears more than my eyes. After using cubase and ableton for years, I bought the qx to solve some syncing issues for doing live improv stuff, and never looked back.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:20 am

I'll put in a good word for Yamaha's two-operator FM synths. They get a lot of c**p on account of being found pretty much solely in cheapo early Portatone toy keyboards (where you couldn't really edit the sounds) and PC sound cards (where a shockingly small number of game musicians had any idea how to use them,) but they really are quite capable in the right hands, and like the TX81Z/DX11/V50, they bring multiple operator waveforms to the table - but a different set. Just a shame they were so under-utilized on the PC, but I have a lot of good memories of the games that did use them well (anything with music by Dan Froelich, for starters.)
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:38 am

I could make some pretty awesome lead sounds with just 2-op FM on the Nord Wave when I tried that out. Helped by effects, naturally, but.

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:07 pm

A little more than my $500 rule, but the Roland MV8800 is an incredibly underrated sampler/sequencer. Very expensive when they came out and hard to knock the MPC from its similar spot, but if you dig into them a little and setup some original patches they are fantastic.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:03 pm

arp solus

get all the bread and butter (mk3)odyssey leads and bass for half the price
the catch is that it's not a full-on proper synth (no noise or sample&hold, just one EG) but it does have a ringmod that shreds something fierce...this synth will tear you a new arsehole

it's more what i'd hoped the little phatty would be: a fire-breathing lead+bass with superb CV integration with other gear. it's so easy to use with a modular, too, in that it sums the CV for keyboard+pitchbend+portamento+vibrato all out the same jack. you get gate AND trigger outs, and the LFO can be clock for the gate out as well.

it's a perfect little two-osc budget synth that's rock-solid tuning ~yet gloriously psychedelic swirling oscillators(sort of like a JP-8 that's pissed off at you)~ ...and it's easy to fix
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:35 pm

I always liked the case the Solus was built into

antilles
Gear: Virus C, String Melody II, Triton, MS-20, M1, Juno-60, Paraphonic 505, SH-09, VK-09, JD-800, JD-990, Pro One, CS-30, SY-1, TX81Z
Band: Antilles

Post by antilles » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:25 pm

Yeah, it's strange, you hear more praise about the Axxe than the Solus. I've never played any of them, but the Solus sure seems more interesting with it's two oscillators.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:24 pm

Even though I almost sold mine recently, I find the waldorf rocket to be a fun and unique little synth. I'm glad I wisely decided to keep it.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

Alphacode

Post by Alphacode » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:21 pm

fh991586 wrote:The Korg Poly61!
Yep +1 for the Poly61 !

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:33 pm

I had an Axxe, but found it incredibly boring. The sound was nice, but it just got old very quickly.