Name some underrated/hated synths that you like

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Re: Name some underrated/hated synths that you like

Post by Kenneth » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:49 pm

Mooger5 wrote:Whish I hadn´t turned down a Welson Syntex (not Synthex) 10 years ago just because it looked so damned ugly. As if italian design just concentrated on cars and bikes. And it still does look ugly, but the sound!
I don't think it's ugly at all. Just looks like a 70's preset synthesizer. Nothing wrong with that look!
Comparison is the thief of joy.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:39 pm

It´s the controls under the keyboard that don´t do it for me. Sh-1000, 700S, JP4, Syntorchestra. All great sounding, but never liked organtops because of it. Other than form following function and people not liking it for the ergonomics, the rest is a personal matter.
Herrare umanum est.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:03 pm

The Steelphon S900 seems to share something with the Syntex regarding the oscillators. Square and saw waves at 32, 16, 8 and 4 scales at the same time. Sounds like octave dividers derived from organ technology. It´s probably what gives them character, along with the filters.

Edit - correct video link
Last edited by Mooger5 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herrare umanum est.

philip

Post by philip » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:28 pm

sq-80&ds-8

Both very underated and both - fantastic

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:04 am

Mooger5 wrote:The Steelphon S900 seems to share something with the Syntex regarding the oscillators. Square and saw waves at 32, 16, 8 and 4 scales at the same time. Sounds like octave dividers derived from organ technology. It´s probably what gives them character, along with the filters.

Edit - correct video link
Exactly, and Apparently it's DCO too. I did wonder because the osc's are stable as a house.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:49 pm

I´m not sure about DCOs in these two synths.They´re mid-seventies. I think it´s VCOs and logic ICs for dividers. Though this doesn´t explain the tuning stability. I think we can trace the type of architecture back to the Davolisint , early in the decade. Others such as the Jen SX-1000 and the Siel Mono have somekind of DCO but came out a few years later.
I´ve been searching for schematics and got no luck.
Herrare umanum est.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:57 pm

Would be nice to see. James at synth repair had a couple of minutes with it and told me that is was DCO so I dunno now really. The guy who did the mod in vid I posted ^^^ said that it has a moog style ladder filter too, must admit, the filter is cool but mine does not sound that moogish.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:28 pm

Kawai K5/K5m. I've had a K5m for several years and I''m still digging into it. Yeah, you need to read the manual closely to figure out what all that stuff on the display is, and getting your head wrapped around additive synthesis takes some time. But it'll crank out timbres that no analog or VA ever thought of. Failed backlights can be replaced without too much fuss.

E-mu Morpheus. Tends to get lumped in with the romplers, but it's much more than that. Using the "mixer" function of my DAW and its ability to be programmed to have the sliders send sysex, I built a sort of programmer for it, which helps a lot.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

antilles
Gear: Virus C, String Melody II, Triton, MS-20, M1, Juno-60, Paraphonic 505, SH-09, VK-09, JD-800, JD-990, Pro One, CS-30, SY-1, TX81Z
Band: Antilles

Post by antilles » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:29 pm

Solderman wrote:
[*]Roland SH-101: I believe the common hater critique is "plasticy, overrated and simplistic".
I think the SH-101 IS overrated. It's a nice synth, but for some reason it seems to be much more popular than the SH-09 for example and the secondhand prices are ridiculous.

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:41 am

not a synth, but if you have a lot of space to spare i've seen some decent Hammond and Yamaha Electone organs go for real cheap

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:17 pm

Mooger5 wrote:I´m not sure about DCOs in these two synths.They´re mid-seventies. I think it´s VCOs and logic ICs for dividers. Though this doesn´t explain the tuning stability. I think we can trace the type of architecture back to the Davolisint , early in the decade. Others such as the Jen SX-1000 and the Siel Mono have somekind of DCO but came out a few years later.
I´ve been searching for schematics and got no luck.
Yes, the Welson syntex and Steelphon S900 are probably too early for having digitally controlled oscillators. The Crumar DS-1 & DS-2 were among
the first commercial synths with DCO's and they appeared in 1978.

EDIT: The rare PPG 1020 and PPG 1003 Sonic Carrier - both from 1976/77 -appear to have been the first synths with DCO's. The latter may
have been the world's first programmable synth as well. However, very few units were sold.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

gs

Post by gs » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:37 pm

Although I don't own one anymore, I always felt the Korg DSS-1 was one of the most underrated synths out there. It's way more synth than sampler, it has fantastically warm analog filters, the unison mode is a monster, you can use the sampling engine to put any waveform in there you want.... if only it had portamento, an arpeggiator and some controls on the surface it would be one of the best polysynths of all time.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

adekoyote
Gear: YAMAHA PSR460, ROLAND MC808, EDIROL, APC20, Emu Proteus 2500 and Yamaha RS7000, Yamaha Su700, Roland VP9000, Yamaha AW4416, Desktop Evolver
Band: The Ghostz of More

Post by adekoyote » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:04 am

Roland MC808. My first piece of gear. I started using it with the computer...and by understanding the synth engines working metaphor I am able to quickly grasp other operating systems by Roland.

People hate it because the only way you can use it to its maximum potential is to hook it up with a computer.

Once hooked up to the computer, there is a huge engine that needs to be learnt...and it is not easy...its something that you get used to.

Lately I have been getting deeper and deeper into making huge sounding patching, complete with modulation matrix and routing. When you open a stock patch it is quite apparent that only one or two tones are used throughout the patch...and if you start to resample and use those samples into the patches, some really nice stuff can happen.

I also use my Rs7000 to do the sequencing...mainly due to the realtime midi effects and the additional dynamics it gives to the sound in regards to velocity, note length and midi delays, etc.

Its not easy, though...and it does not happen as fast as I would like. But I like it for what it is once it is used to its fullest potential.

rust404
Gear: King Korg, Waldorf Blofeld Keys ,MicroKorg XL, Tenori-on, KP3, Akai eie pro, Ableton suite 9
launchpad, iPad, Various softsynths

Post by rust404 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:47 am

Hi all, new recruit, first post n all so I hope you dont mind me diving in with my love/hate relationship with the Waldorf Blofeld Keys. I just cant bring myself to let go of it, although sometimes I could hapilly play it with a sledgehammer. It pretty much features in the majority of my tracks. As a sound crafting tool it's deep, very deep. Most critisism has been leveled at its buggy os, but with updates it has become less temperamental. It has its own crazy character with mental filters that sometimes decide to do their own thing but I like that in a way. Its nice feeling keyboard helps and I could lose a whole afternoon tinkering with it.
For the price I deffo think it's well underrated.

dude163

Post by dude163 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:14 pm

what about Nord Micromodulars?