Tangerine Dream, Late 1981.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tim gueguen

Tangerine Dream, Late 1981.

Post by tim gueguen » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:00 am

I came across this today. Includes discussion of their equipment at the time and the making of Exit. and a transcription of "Choronzon," Interesting to see that even at that late date Chris Franke still used a few patch cords with his modular.
http://iloapp.pertou.dk/blog/tangerined ... 573307.pdf
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Tangerine Dream, Late 1981.

Post by Z » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:17 am

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Exit is one of my favorite TD albums.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:23 am

I've seen the first 3 article pages linked here before. Nice to see the rest, including the Choronzon notes. Exit was significantly better live. Seek out the bootleg track "Föhn" from Rätikon as an example.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

antilles
Gear: Virus C, String Melody II, Triton, MS-20, M1, Juno-60, Paraphonic 505, SH-09, VK-09, JD-800, JD-990, Pro One, CS-30, SY-1, TX81Z
Band: Antilles

Post by antilles » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:58 am

Those were the days, gigging with all that amazing gear. Today they basically use a few labtops and midicontrollers. Boring.

Reginator
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505
Band: Reginator

Post by Reginator » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:11 pm

Exit is the best, and it was my first album by them.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:12 pm

Anyone else think that, with some of Froese's statements, either it's lost in translation, or he's full of s**t?

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:36 pm

madtheory wrote:Anyone else think that, with some of Froese's statements, either it's lost in translation, or he's full of s**t?
I think he comes across quite well. The bit about him noticing that teenagers at his concerts then not being as awed by synthesisers and so approaching electronic musics with an open mind is precisely what has happened. In those times most regarded electronic music as not real music, and now the very same sorts of arpeggiators and sequencers underpin virtually every pop and dance hit. Quite insightful.

What do you think he's full of s**t about?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:55 pm

I'm not saying he's full of s**t. I'm posing a question: is something lost in translation, OR is he full of s**t. For example, here he is (seemingly) skirting around the issue of whether or not they use a taped backing:
"Sometimes we do put everything together on a two track mix down and like to be totally open about the way we balance the sounds. For instance, at one concert we started improvising totally without any sort of agreement. On the next night we might be tired from a long journey and use our 'corners which we walk along' to bring the music together."

Is "corners which we walk along" a German word that doesn't translate well? Or is he hiding something?

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:18 pm

I think that means those are the nights that the band plays "the hits" rather than just freeform improvisation.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:06 pm

madtheory wrote:Is "corners which we walk along" a German word that doesn't translate well?
Wouldn't know of a German saying that would resemble something like that #-o But I also would interpret it so that they just sometimes improvise, and sometimes play rehearsed songs.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:08 am

There are a number of recordings of that period floating around via the Tangerine Tree releases It's pretty obvious they weren't just miming to tape given that things like melody lines and such change. Not that I'd totally rule out the idea that they played some live bits over tape backing either. But if that were the case you'd think there would be at least one recording of the tape machine going kablooie mid tune.

Some people have pointed to things like the Poland concert video as evidence they were miming in the '80s, because say Froese's actions don't seem to jibe with the actual audio. But I'd say that's just as likely the result of the video being edited by someone who just didn't bother to try to sync the audio and video properly.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:05 am

O cool, I didn't know about Tangerine Tree. Ya syncing music to playing is something that seems to have been beyond most film makers. I guess the reason is that timecode sync between film and audio tape was always a royal PITA especially if you didn't have enough footage.

I'm not a huge fan of the band but as far as their live stuff goes I think "Logos" has some amazing music on it. On the other hand Ricochet and Poland did nothing for me.

salwa

Post by salwa » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:35 am

Exit always was my favorite TD recording, with Poland very close to it. I still can't understand what happened to this band in mid 80's. Everything from Le Parc (exepc Green Desert, but that's different thing) is boring new age muzak to me...
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:22 pm

Thanks for that PDF. Great stuff. I love Tangerine Dream. Been listening a lot to all there albums and soundtracks from 81 - 84 the past year or 2. Lots a off great PPG Wave on those. From 85 it really turned c**p yes... :---)

antilles
Gear: Virus C, String Melody II, Triton, MS-20, M1, Juno-60, Paraphonic 505, SH-09, VK-09, JD-800, JD-990, Pro One, CS-30, SY-1, TX81Z
Band: Antilles

Post by antilles » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:36 pm

Tangerine Dream got boring by the time Franke left, and they started using mostly digital synths.

I hate to say it, but many of those electronic music pioneers, like TD were pioneers not because of their musical talents, but by the fact that they had access to expensive synthesizer equipment, that few others could afford. Perhaps TD were more like musical engineers than musical artists really.

I think Froese's lack of musicality became painfully clear, by the time that other more talentet artist joined the electronic/synth scene in the early - mid eighties. And when they switched to digital synths, their music just sounded flat and uninspired.