Fade To Grey synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: Fade To Grey synths

Post by madtheory » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:57 pm

It's a Yamaha CS on the bass I think. CS-5? CS-10? It sounds like their typical PWM. The double tracking explains why it doesn't immediately sound like a one oscillator synth.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:35 pm

philip wrote:Polymoog?
Congrats Philip, you're the winner =D>

Chris Payne (of Gary Numan band) played the strings on a Polymoog. Also, the bassline was double-tracked by him
on a polymoog preset but he couldn't remember which one - it could have been the brass preset played low down.

Not sure what synth was used for the 'sparkly' synth part (I didn't get a chance to ask him about that) but I'd guess
it's the Polymoog too or possibly Billy Currie's Elka Rhapsody 610.

Afaik Fade To Grey was the only song on Visage's debut album that Chris played on. The synth/keyboard parts
on the remaining album tracks were split between Billy Currie and Dave Formula (I think Midge played some too).

Quote from the april 1984 issue of keyboard magazine:
"This project, which became the band's debut LP Visage, features Formula on his Magazine setup and Currie on a
nearly identical collection of keyboards. They also shared a CS-80 for polyphonic synthesizer parts, and added
digital colorings with a Fairlight CMI. Formula says: we did all the links between the tracks on that first album
with the Fairlight. It belonged to Richard Burgess of Landscape, which was still a serious Arts Council jazz outfit
at that time."
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

philip

Post by philip » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:17 pm

Thanks for the competition Micke, we should bring back this genre, it's always fun.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:35 pm

You're welcome, Philip :)
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:38 pm

I've always been intrigued by the overlap between Ultravox (Midge Ure area) and Gary Numan's band. Interesting to seeing most of them all showing up in this discussion.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

mdannyg
Gear: SCI Prophet 600, Novation Bass Station II, Roland Juno 6, Waldorf Microwave 1, Yamaha TX7, Korg Poly 800 mkII, Linndrum, SCI TOM

Post by mdannyg » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:02 am

wow, am I the only one who didn't know they released a new album this past May?

calyx93
Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave x3, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K-3

Post by calyx93 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:03 pm

mdannyg wrote:wow, am I the only one who didn't know they released a new album this past May?
and it's quite a solid return to their original sound - very good IMO.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:41 pm

That's interesting. I don't think I'd have guessed any of those except the Oddy. Thanks Micke!

mdannyg
Gear: SCI Prophet 600, Novation Bass Station II, Roland Juno 6, Waldorf Microwave 1, Yamaha TX7, Korg Poly 800 mkII, Linndrum, SCI TOM

Post by mdannyg » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:47 am

calyx93 wrote:
mdannyg wrote:wow, am I the only one who didn't know they released a new album this past May?
and it's quite a solid return to their original sound - very good IMO.
Haven't listened yet, but the cd just arrived in my mail today and I'm really impressed how they list the synths used in every song!

recordbot

Post by recordbot » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:56 am

Torch Song Prepare to Energize,

does anyone know for sure about anything on this one?