DSI Introduces the Mopho SE

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Re: DSI Introduces the Mopho SE

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:42 am

I miss my goddamn evolver.
bonne chance

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:48 am

Would like to add on that the market for these sub-cheap monosynths with no keys and poor CV integration is NOT YOU.

They almost certainly built these things at the size and price they are for the bedroom/macbook producer types who want "some of that authentic analogue sound on their produKKKtions"

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:39 am

Well it makes sense to go for the biggest target market with the biggest expendable income.

Another thing important to mention is that this is a "Special Edition". So if you think of it as an upgrade to the original Mopho Keys it makes sense. Think of it as an entirely new synth release, and you'll probably end up scratching your head as to the point of it.

Taking big risks is always a hard thing to do for a small company, and they already kinda did that with the Prophet 12, so keeping things simple and making more options available is always a good thing. :)

Infrasound
Gear: Smack, Crack, Acid

Post by Infrasound » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:18 am

pflosi wrote:
DSI wrote:And, like the other Mopho Keyboards, the polyphony can be expanded with the addition of a DSI Tetra
or another Mopho synth.
Yeeeaaah, cause that works sooo well with their synths... :roll:
I had a Evolver Desktop and a Mono Evolver Keyboard, and they poly-chained together pretty much flawlessly.
I don't know about how well the Tetra's and Mopho's perform regarding this, but it was a real pleasure with the Evolver's put together, and I found 2 voices on these synths to be quite enough (especially if using multiple oscillators tuned to chords).

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:50 pm

Infrasound wrote:
pflosi wrote:
DSI wrote:And, like the other Mopho Keyboards, the polyphony can be expanded with the addition of a DSI Tetra
or another Mopho synth.
Yeeeaaah, cause that works sooo well with their synths... :roll:
I had a Evolver Desktop and a Mono Evolver Keyboard, and they poly-chained together pretty much flawlessly.
I don't know about how well the Tetra's and Mopho's perform regarding this, but it was a real pleasure with the Evolver's put together, and I found 2 voices on these synths to be quite enough (especially if using multiple oscillators tuned to chords).
I never had any of the Evolvers, but I have Tetra + Mopho Keyboard. I basically bought the latter explicitly as a controller and fifth voice for the first.

First, there is an annoyance: you need an additional mixer or a subgroup, cause they don't have the same headroom (one mono, one 4 voice). Ok, that's annoying but I can deal with it...

Then, the real problem: it only works properly if you already have the patches. If you intend to make patches while they are polychained, IME all parameters affecting filter values will not be the same on the two units. Seriously. And that is really a no-go. Super annoying. I'm really thinking of just selling off the Mopho Keyboard again. If the MophoX4 had already been out at the time, I would have just gotten that one (they said they never ever would do a key version of the Tetra when the Mopho Keyboard came out - sorry, but that's almost what it is).
Hybrid88 wrote:Taking big risks is always a hard thing to do for a small company, and they already kinda did that with the Prophet 12, so keeping things simple and making more options available is always a good thing. :)
I totally agree here - in terms of innovation, in the non-modular and especially in the poly market, the most innovative thing we got in the last few years is the P12.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:43 pm

Bitexion wrote:I'm not saying that it's a bad thing that lots of analog synths are coming out, but they're all very similar 2VCO synths, noone is innovating in any way, they're only pushing out synths with features from vintage ones, or adding a digital oscillator, or 4 vs 1 voices, or a 1 voice spinoff of a big polysynth. It's not exciting. They're just there.

The only refreshing synth to come out recently is the Arturia Minibrute, because they didn't just sit down and try to implement as many features from vintage synths as possible, they actually did something new with their oscillator and mixer section.
Feature set of a MoPho vs any vintage monosynth is long: semi-modular modulation routing, multiple LFOs, sequencer that can be used for notes as well as dozens of other parameters, three more of those sequencers, 2 osc + 2 subs, hard wired feedback, etc. In terms of features that is a LOT more than any mono (including the Minibrute) and almost any vintage analog poly.

As for new architecture there's plenty going on in modular land but also within the DSI line. And, tekentool's point, most people aren't actually looking for new analog sounds. I'd argue that, in met cases, that's much more a limitation of the programmer than the tool anyhow.

But also one of the main complaints about any affordable mono synth that's come out in the last several years: Not enough keys. So DSI added keys. They gave people what they were asking for.

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:32 am

Amen to that. I think DSI is among the most innovative synth makers out there at the moment. MoPho has a great voice, and lots of possibilities, at a fairly low price point. The recently discontinues MEK is probably one of my favorite synths, ever. This new MoPho has me wanting, badly.
Bassist, synth junkie

bluntedcircuit
Gear: machinedrum, mpc1000, blofeld, maschine, kp3, esq1, ms20, ableton

Post by bluntedcircuit » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:04 am

The Mopho is underrated I think. As some have pointed out the 2 osc mono synth market is getting crowded, but the amount of modulation and the abilities of its sequencer I feel often gets ignored.
I just sold mine because I'm running out of space and aren't much of a keyboard player so I would have preferred a module but this is still pretty cool