DSI Introduces the Mopho SE

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: DSI Introduces the Mopho SE

Post by Bitexion » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:02 am

God, how many spinoffs of the Prophet'08 can they release? It seems to be a neverending milk machine

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:11 am

Actually, looking at the full story and focusing on the SE part, it is a SPECIAL EDITION MOPHO and not a new flip on a previous release - erm, so to speak. :?
---------------------------------------
Dave Smith Instruments today introduced a special edition of its popular monophonic analog synthesizer, the Mopho Keyboard. “The Mopho family of instruments has been ground-breaking for us and for our customers in terms
of value,” said DSI’s Andrew McGowan. “And I think it’s pretty apparent from the way the
industry responded that we were on to something with smaller, more affordable, but full-featured
instruments, whether modules or keyboards. But there is no typical synthesizer user and we’ve
gotten feedback from customers who loved the synth’s sound and features, but who wanted an
instrument with a larger keyboard. Now there is one.”

The Mopho SE (special edition) sports an expanded, full-sized, 44-note, semi-weighted
keyboard with velocity sensitivity and aftertouch. The larger keyboard facilitates certain playing
techniques—like smears for synth bass lines—and is more appropriate for use as a MIDI
controller both onstage and in the studio. Even with the additional octave of keys, it’s still just a
little more than 25 inches long and its trim profile and light weight make it ideal for gigging. And,
like the other Mopho Keyboards, the polyphony can be expanded with the addition of a DSI Tetra
or another Mopho synth.

The front panel artwork is now screen printed directly onto the Mopho SE’s sturdy metal
enclosure. And it features a full complement of the Prophet 12’s great looking, and even better
feeling, soft-touch knobs.

“A lot of synths in this price range have to cut corners to hit a price point; the Mopho SE takes a
no compromise approach. As a family of products, these instruments offer great sound and a lot
of bang for the buck to a wide variety of players,” concluded McGowan. “There’s a Mopho for just
about every synth need.”

The Mopho SE will be shipping by the end of October with a projected MAP of $949.
-------------------------------------------------------
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:38 am

DSI wrote:And, like the other Mopho Keyboards, the polyphony can be expanded with the addition of a DSI Tetra
or another Mopho synth.
Yeeeaaah, cause that works sooo well with their synths... :roll:

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:53 pm

Bitexion wrote:God, how many spinoffs of the Prophet'08 can they release?
No idea. But if you call Moog and ask how many different voyagers they've made and how many colour ways the phatty comes in. You might be able to work it out... ;)

I'm gonna hold fire 'til they drop the signature edition with illuminated pitch and mod wheels!

To be honest how can we complain? It really is a great time to be into synths. So much great stuff out there to choose from, you really can't be seriously pissed at something new coming out.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:45 pm

DSI is amazing. The evolver was excellent, but I didn't appreciate it when I owned it. P12 mono is almost certainly in the future, and if it comes near the quality of the MEK, I'll be selling a few things off to get it.

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:34 pm

Bitexion wrote:God, how many spinoffs of the Prophet'08 can they release? It seems to be a neverending milk machine
Spot on , perhaps its time for these companies to call it a day its gone round full circle and I think its getting a bit silly my kawai 100f blows this tripe away.
yamoto773

syntheticsolutions
Gear: Rhodes 78 Mk2, Jupiter 4, Juno 6, MS-10, CS-15, Opus 3, Machinedrum, RE-501, Roland Rack
Band: Lunar Modular

Post by syntheticsolutions » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:47 am

jaypodesta wrote:
To be honest how can we complain? It really is a great time to be into synths. So much great stuff out there to choose from, you really can't be seriously pissed at something new coming out.
Best VSE post ever! I find it shocking to hear people complaining when a new analogue synth is released, surely this is a forum where the supporters generally love synthesizers/synthesis.

Any company pushing the production of synthesizers, subjectively good or bad, has to be a good thing.

Maybe some people would rather go back 20 years to when the market was non existent?
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:17 am

bochelli wrote:
Bitexion wrote:God, how many spinoffs of the Prophet'08 can they release? It seems to be a neverending milk machine
Spot on , perhaps its time for these companies to call it a day its gone round full circle and I think its getting a bit silly my kawai 100f blows this tripe away.
Coming from the guy who doesn't even switch his synths on...

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:12 am

syntheticsolutions wrote:
jaypodesta wrote:To be honest how can we complain? It really is a great time to be into synths. So much great stuff out there to choose from, you really can't be seriously pissed at something new coming out.
Best VSE post ever! I find it shocking to hear people complaining when a new analogue synth is released, surely this is a forum where the supporters generally love synthesizers/synthesis.

Any company pushing the production of synthesizers, subjectively good or bad, has to be a good thing.
I'll second that. Years ago when I first started dabbling at the edges of this hobby, looking into the DX series after playing around with OPL2 FM on my Windows 95 box, you could hardly even buy a new synthesizer - the market was just about entirely ROMplers from horizon to horizon, and your only choice for actually creating sounds was to either buy a secondhand DX7 or Alpha Juno or some other piece of used gear on eBay and hope that it was in good condition and would stay that way (and to a newcomer like me, who knew whether any of this stuff was built to last?) or to use one of the various early softsynths, which were largely terrible.

Nowadays, not only can you buy new designs from many companies that recognize how much people appreciate synthesizers for being synthesizers and not collections of preset sounds, there's even full-fledged recreations of some of the classics. I've got my MS-20 Mini sitting on the desk by my recording computer, where I've spent damn near every free moment since I got the thing. The Minimoog Voyager and Prophet '08 might not be as slavishly faithful recreations as the Mini (from what I read,) but they're still impressive as heck. And who knows what we'll see in the future?

Granted, I do agree with bitexion in the sense that I'd be more interested in DSI specifically if they were doing more in the way of new designs (not to mention having some more affordable offerings,) but it seems silly to get steamed about it - not when we're finally getting tools to create sounds again.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:16 am

Granted, I do agree with bitexion in the sense that I'd be more interested in DSI specifically if they were doing more in the way of new designs (not to mention having some more affordable offerings,) but it seems silly to get steamed about it - not when we're finally getting tools to create sounds again.

Steamed?
Angry?
An admonition for VSE-ers

Like, this is a FORUM where ideas and opinions are shared and, believe it or not, they can be positive or negative.
So far there are very few negative posts (so anything leaning towards VSE as a whole is 'silly') and a few positive ones to balance it out. This a two-page thread after all, not a 37 page monster bashing DSI. Let's relax a bit.

The OP posts a tid bit and it makes sense that what follows is everyone's opinion about it.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:52 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
bochelli wrote:
Aaahhhhhhahahahahahahaha YES!!! :lol:
Comparison is the thief of joy.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:54 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
bochelli wrote:
Is negatively attacking other members really necessary? How about posting something positive or at least constructive instead of belittling everyone all the time, you are a mod after all.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:28 am

I'm not saying that it's a bad thing that lots of analog synths are coming out, but they're all very similar 2VCO synths, noone is innovating in any way, they're only pushing out synths with features from vintage ones, or adding a digital oscillator, or 4 vs 1 voices, or a 1 voice spinoff of a big polysynth. It's not exciting. They're just there.

The only refreshing synth to come out recently is the Arturia Minibrute, because they didn't just sit down and try to implement as many features from vintage synths as possible, they actually did something new with their oscillator and mixer section.
Last edited by Bitexion on Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:29 am

Hybrid88 wrote: Is negatively attacking other members really necessary? How about posting something positive or at least constructive instead of belittling everyone all the time, you are a mod after all.
Constructive posts get constructive replies.
Bitexion wrote:I'm not saying that it's a bad thing that lots of analog synths are coming out, but they're all very similar 2VCO synths, noone is innovating in any way, they're only pushing out synths with features from vintage ones, or adding a digital oscillator, or 4 vs 1 voices. It's not exciting. They're just there.
That's because analogue combo monosynths are not new or exciting and the people buying them don't want new and exciting. You might even think you do but I'm like 95% sure you actually don't.

You can't ask these 400 dollar synths to compete with modular synthesizers or the world of software and digital synthesizers with new crazy s**t. To be honest if a new monosynth with all these crazy new modular features came out 2000 didgeridollars y'all wouldn't buy it because you'd be hemming and hawing about "well I could just get this modular and save x because I already have y and z" anyway.

The one "interesting" one (the minibrute) has a lot of internals reverse engineered from a modular anyway. It's not new at all, it's just new packaging.

Don't ask a cat to bark like a dog, just buy a dog.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:37 am

tekkentool wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote: Is negatively attacking other members really necessary? How about posting something positive or at least constructive instead of belittling everyone all the time, you are a mod after all.
Constructive posts get constructive replies.
Not really, this is the internet we are talking about ;)