Multivox analog synths?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
oryjen

Multivox analog synths?

Post by oryjen » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:16 am

So, what about them? Why that lack here in the gear list?
Some of them should have been interesting (MX-75 for example).
We would have wished to see here one of those good complete technical descriptions!

some pics:http://fr.audiofanzine.com/synthe-analo ... 88700.html
Korg MS20-MS50-SQ10-X911-SuperDelta-800DV-MP4-Lambda ES50-severely modded Poly800-PE1000-M500SP-Trident MkII-KPR77-DSS1-P61//EkoSynth P15//YAMAHA CS30-CP30-DX9-01V//RSF Blackbox x2//Viscount CL1-R64//SCI Multitrack-P600//Roland GR500-SH1000

rodgre
Gear: Roland GR-300, RS-09, Korg Mono/Poly, Monotron, Moog MG-1, Casio CZ-101, Arp Avatar, Moog Etherwave Theremin, Baldwin Syntha Sound, Alesis Micron.
Band: The Curtain Society

Re: Multivox analog synths?

Post by rodgre » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:28 am

I was just thinking the same thing!
Roland GR-300, RS-09, Korg Mono/Poly, Monotron, Moog MG-1, Casio CZ-101, Arp Avatar, Moog Etherwave Theremin, Baldwin Syntha Sound, Alesis Micron.

analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Buchla Music Easel, TE OP-1, Korg MS-20, Yamaha RS-7000, Effects Pedals

Post by analoglsd » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:05 am

MULTIVOX! MULTIVOX! MULTIVOX! MULTIVOX!

M-U-L-T-I-V-O-X

Give the people what they want!
)))More Multivox(((

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:47 am

I always thought all of their designs were straight rips of other successful models of the era.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

chinchilla

Post by chinchilla » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:31 pm

I have a multivox mx 150 (also called basky II) bass pedal synth, and its probably favorite analog i have.
Its pretty much like the Moog taurus but with fewer controls. (It only has tune, volume, resonance, an eg, eg amount, sub osc on/off)

I like it so much because fewer controls kinda inspire you to do more creative things.

briandc
Gear: 3 Midi controllers and anything linux! :)

Post by briandc » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:10 pm

Could someone post a neat audio demo or two (or link) please?? I'd love to hear what they can do!

brian
Feeling trapped behind Windows? Try linux: More than 500 flavors to choose from!
LinuxSynths.com
amSynth on Soundcloud

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:16 pm

Having owned a MX75.....It's really a preset synth with a certain amount of control but not a copy of anything else.

The build quality is not great but not bad, I had to give mine a real good service and found the switches and pots to be lesser quality than other synths of the era.
The filter was weak on the one i had and even with 2 osc (although more designed for the ring mod) it had no balls in the bottom end.

I didn't find it very inspiring or even quirky...But some multivox synths are special esp the MX3000..

I have one and will review it :)
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:26 am

I'm always looking for the MX-3000
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

KevBKeys

Post by KevBKeys » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:51 pm

oryjen wrote:So, what about them? Why that lack here in the gear list?
Some of them should have been interesting (MX-75 for example).
We would have wished to see here one of those good complete technical descriptions!

some pics:http://fr.audiofanzine.com/synthe-analo ... 88700.html
Some nice pics there. I've not seen some of those Multivox products before.

I've never played a Multivox instrument, but I have a Roland RS-202 string synth which the Multivox MX-202 is meant to be similar to. I'm guessing most here may have seen the SOS article discussing this, and how Roland felt about Multivox "copying" some of their products.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul02/a ... ne0702.asp

I think the MX-3000 is the one that interests me most though. The article above suggests Multivox may have got ideas from the ARP Quadra for this one, but even if so, the resultant instrument is quite different as far as I can tell.

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:53 pm

The MX3000 is 4 synths in one as it were but not really comparable to other ones.

The styling is very Roland though.

And unlike most ARP quadra's it still works.
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:24 pm

I've had a MX-2000 Duo for nearly 30 years (currently dead). Looks just like the Roland SH-2000 with a second VCO shoehorned into it. The casing, panel, knobs and tabs are all dead ringers for Roland parts. The dual VCOs are a great step up from one. The sound is typical for that era of consumer analog. The comic instrumental tones served well when working with Childrens Theater. Schematic shows a clone of the Moog xsistor ladder filter. "Fuzz Guitar" voice uses basic PWM to get the fuzz/buzz tone. Build quality is par for that era: Wood case with seperate small PC boards for each "module". VCOs, VCF, mixers, fixed filters, etc. The PC boards are c**p: The copper traces will lift off when touched by anything warmer than your finger. Replacing a DP3T switch was a nightmare!
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

KevBKeys

Post by KevBKeys » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:12 pm

sam wrote:The MX3000 is 4 synths in one as it were but not really comparable to other ones.

The styling is very Roland though.

And unlike most ARP quadra's it still works.
I've seen a fair few partially working Quadras on ebay etc, and I sometimes wonder if they just need a new set of batteries. Mine went a bit crazy when the batteries were removed. They all probably need a recap by now though and broken sliders seem common. I know a few techs who can service ARP synths including the Quadra, but I'd want to find out about servicing Multivox synths before buying, as I don't see many discussions about Multivox parts. I suppose (as said by rhino above) the models similar to Roland use similar parts.

kavakon

Post by kavakon » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:31 am

I have a multivox mx-3000 for sale locally in Los Angeles. Its in good working order and very clean for its age.

Sounds amazing. Happy to show you. You never see these for sale or in good working condition.

contact me at www.kavakon.com