New analog Arturia synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Re: New analog Arturia synth?

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:41 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
commodorejohn wrote:Uh, I think your patch librarian is a ream of paper and a photocopier with this thing...
Digital camera actually.
Cheater.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:12 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
commodorejohn wrote:Uh, I think your patch librarian is a ream of paper and a photocopier with this thing...
Digital camera actually.
Patches sound better if you save them on paper.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:18 am

It's more analog.

And I submit Stabbers gets a two-day ban for suggesting such heresy! :lol:
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:30 am

Aaron2 wrote:OK, I just figured it out. You need to download the "MicroBrute Connexion" software. In it, you can modify certain parameters on the sequencer that you can't do from the front panel, including the hold function.

The software can be found here: http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/pro ... urces.html
Yep, my "hold" function now works. The synth is even awesome-er now. 8-)

treezyz

Post by treezyz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:02 am

i don't own the minibrute, but if i did i might be a little pissed about the sequencer on this new product (like damn i dropped 5 or 6 hundred and they get a sequencer for 3?)

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:01 am

treezyz wrote:i don't own the minibrute, but if i did i might be a little pissed about the sequencer on this new product (like damn i dropped 5 or 6 hundred and they get a sequencer for 3?)
Yeah, this is known to happen from time to time. Like the Alesis Micron incorporating functionality that wasn't present in the Ion, same with the Novation MiniNova vs UltraNova

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:43 am

Total honeymoon period post alert.

Oh my fricking gawd. This is the small synthesizer I've been wanting since I started playing analogs ten years ago. It's raunchy, has a ton of low end, it's as edgy as you want it and also subtle and smooth. I'm beyond impressed. This is a keeper synth for sure.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:29 pm

redchapterjubilee wrote:Total honeymoon period post alert.

Oh my fricking gawd. This is the small synthesizer I've been wanting since I started playing analogs ten years ago. It's raunchy, has a ton of low end, it's as edgy as you want it and also subtle and smooth. I'm beyond impressed. This is a keeper synth for sure.
+1. I think the form factor is the coolest thing about it. It's hard to get this much sound out in a unit this small.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:33 pm

I should have just ordered from Proaudiostar or one of the other dozen or so Ebay retailers who have them in stock. My order with JRRShop has been "processing" for 2 weeks :?

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:21 pm

That's who i ordered mine from (JRR). When they turned up on Ebay a week or so back I called them and asked when they were getting theirs. I was told they got 6 on their first order, and I was order #9. So I figured I'd have to wait another couple of weeks, but last Wednesday I got an email with a tracking number and I was shocked.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:05 am

For what it's worth, I got mine from Sweetwater. As they promised, I was one of the first ones in the pre-order queue, and I got mine on November 11, less than a week after Sweetwater received the units.

I, too, ordered from JRR Shop initially because of the price (they were discounting them to $246, I believe). Sweetwater agreed to come down to $264 based on JRR's price. So I just went with Sweetwater. Glad I made that decision.

No affiliation, by the way.

Kenneth
Gear: Nothing I own will make you jealous.
Band: KGB

Post by Kenneth » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:40 pm

Aaron2 wrote:
redchapterjubilee wrote:Total honeymoon period post alert.

+1. I think the form factor is the coolest thing about it. It's hard to get this much sound out in a unit this small.
+1. I spent a good bit of time with one yesterday and was blown away by how much functionality you get in such a tiny box. Not only that, but it sounds great too! Am I the only one who senses some difference in tone between this and the Minibrute? Mini always seemed so metallic and harsh. I never once heard anything remotely like that with the Micro.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:09 am

Kenneth wrote:+1. I spent a good bit of time with one yesterday and was blown away by how much functionality you get in such a tiny box. Not only that, but it sounds great too! Am I the only one who senses some difference in tone between this and the Minibrute? Mini always seemed so metallic and harsh. I never once heard anything remotely like that with the Micro.
I think this machine sounds different from the Mini. I'm sure people will tell us it's all in our heads, although let's face it, the oscillator section is much different than that of the Mini. Anyway, for now at least, the Micro is far and away my favorite desktop machine. Big functionality and sound in a very small package.

sentientprogram
Gear: Pro 2, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Prophet 12, El Capistan, blueSky, Deco, Abelton Live, DX7, RX15, TR-8, Metasonix F-1, MF Drive.

Post by sentientprogram » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:18 am

Yeah a-a-ron (Aaron.) I'm not as technically inclined as say Automatic Gainsay, but I'm having a hard time recreating sounds off the mini in a good way. I'm not sure if the mixer or extra env settings on the oscillator section of the mini have anything to do with it, but this little guy sounds pure and up front in a mix.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:57 am

Kenneth wrote: I spent a good bit of time with one yesterday and was blown away by how much functionality you get in such a tiny box. Not only that, but it sounds great too! Am I the only one who senses some difference in tone between this and the Minibrute? Mini always seemed so metallic and harsh. I never once heard anything remotely like that with the Micro.
Since it has a different set of functionality, it's guaranteed to sound different. But yes... its size is SO TOTALLY DECEPTIVE.

But as far as "metallic and harsh," the MiniBrute can do warm and sweet, too! You just have to lay off the Brute Factor, the Metalizer, and the gosh-danged Resonance! :D
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay