Ultravox Bass Synth and Its Descendants

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Re: Ultravox Bass Synth and Its Descendants

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:05 pm

A blofeld can be surprisingly fat sounding and could do that bass sound. Based on listening for a few seconds, to my ears the bulk of the hollow character sounds like it comes from effects i.e. a plate reverb maybe.

BenR

Post by BenR » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:36 pm

I always loved that song and that bass sound in particular. I always assumed they were using an early version of the PPG. Those chunky digital/analog hybrid bass sounds are my favorite types of synth bass. Did anybody have any luck coming up with a similar sound on any other synthesizer? I'd be really interested in hearing it.

Chevytraveller
Gear: Obie-4V, Emulator II, 2x Emax IIs, E-Synth, Evolver MEK, Waldorf Pulse and Blofeld KB, AS Telemark, Leipsig-S and Vostok DLux.. plus many more
Band: Speak & Spell

Post by Chevytraveller » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:52 pm

Curious why no-one has mentioned layering?.. While there are certain harmonics in that bass sound that scream PPG Wave, there is also probably layered low end reinforcement from the Minimoog or Arp Oddysey..
as far as recreating the sound goes then the Blofeld or other Waldorf machines can reproduce the more metallic harmonics (albeit in 16bit clarity) but the rest can be generated by plenty of other machines when layered together.
If you haven't already, then definitely look into getting the Waldorf Collection. The PPG 2V is worth the money alone and is now 64 bit compatible.. at least until you can save up for the real thing.

:D
Soft: MBP 15", Motu 896, X-Station, Logic X, Reason7, Korg legacy, Diva, ACE, Alchemy,
Hard: Oberheim 4-Voice, Emulator II, 2x Emax IIs, E-Synth, Evolver MEK, Waldorf Pulse and Blofeld KB, AS Telemark, Leipsig-S and Vostok DLux. plus many more

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:33 pm

BenR wrote:I always loved that song and that bass sound in particular. I always assumed they were using an early version of the PPG. Those chunky digital/analog hybrid bass sounds are my favorite types of synth bass. Did anybody have any luck coming up with a similar sound on any other synthesizer?
Prophet VS can do that sort of stuff very well (scarcely surprising since the PPG was an inspiration for the VS designers). I was recently listening to the 2.2 samples on a PPG demo page and noticing how very similar (and in some cases practically identical) the sounds were to the VS (or rather, how similar the VS is to the PPG).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:01 pm

BenR wrote:I always loved that song and that bass sound in particular. I always assumed they were using an early version of the PPG. Those chunky digital/analog hybrid bass sounds are my favorite types of synth bass. Did anybody have any luck coming up with a similar sound on any other synthesizer? I'd be really interested in hearing it.
Yeah, me too. I am interested in hearing some good, unusual synth bass sounds, perhaps via a Youtube link. As I mentioned previously, in my opinion, most synth bass sounds used in songs out there don't sound very original. I'd like to hear some creative examples of synth bass sounds.

Shalebridge
Gear: Crumar DS2, Crumar Roadrunner, PPG Wave 2.2 w/factory MIDI, MG-1, MicroKorg, Moog Opus 3, Oberheim Matrix-1000, Oberheim DX, Univox SR-95, Omnichord
Band: Pataphysics

Post by Shalebridge » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:13 am

That is definitely a PPG Wave bass. I remember reading something where that is mentioned, but I also have a close if not identical sound programmed into my PPG Wave 2.2. The Wave is currently living in a studio right now while I record, but next time I'm around I'll get the patch information and see how easy it could be to mimic.