Money Mark's Minimoog Trick

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Em Pe Ge
Gear: Akai MPC1000, Moog Slim Phatty, Roland Alpha Juno 1, Animoog (via iRig midi), Ableton Live, Reason.

Re: Money Mark's Minimoog Trick

Post by Em Pe Ge » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:40 am

The Beastie Boys certainly don't suck... and nether does the Moog documentary.

Jeeze.. I swear, people on forums.. always bitching about something.

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:14 am

Exactly the impression I got. (I just didn't want to be the first to voice it.)
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:19 pm

I don't think `bitching' is an appropriate word to use when people are simply commenting on a video that's under discussion because it's already been mentioned by someone else.

Stephen made a brief comment and asked a question. I answered that question. The guy who paid money for a crummy video could have bitched about that, but he didn't. He lent it to me and we had a good laugh.

Regarding the Beastie Boys, whether you like them or not you can hardly claim they were a significant contribution to the development of electronic music, which is what's relevant on a video endorsed by Moog that's supposed to be about Moog history and development.

People on forums are rather too apt to label other people when they say something they disagree with. During the many years I've been on the net I've seen the word `troll' degenerate from a word to describe someone with malicious intent and be used instead of anyone the poster doesn't agree with. Likewise people can't make any criticism - even when it's deserving - without someone smearing them with words like `bitching.' That kind of nonsense puts people off contributing to forums. I know several excellent musicians who rarely if ever bother with forums.
Free the Jupiter 8!

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:34 pm

Rush suck! *hides*

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:22 pm

Sweep wrote:Regarding the Beastie Boys, whether you like them or not you can hardly claim they were a significant contribution to the development of electronic music, which is what's relevant on a video endorsed by Moog that's supposed to be about Moog history and development.
The Beastie Boys aren't in the video.

Or the film.

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:34 pm

Money Mark is one of them.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:44 pm

Money Mark is Money Mark.

The Beastie Boys were 3 other people.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:06 pm

Don't think anyone's really explained what he's doing there though.

It does seem to be affecting pitch so it could be a mic through an envelope follower into pitch cv, or a kazoo. ;-)

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:28 pm

I'm pretty sure it's just an electric kazoo being distorted and then run into the minimoog audio in
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:34 pm

MrFrodo wrote:Money Mark is one of them.
Mix master Mike (who made a brief appearance in the video) is the dj for the beastie boys. But he has worked with a few other musicians over the years.
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:26 pm

Meanwhile, none of this back-and-forth over Money Mark's (Nor the Beastie Boys, and other than the fact that Money Mark collaborated with them quite a few times, I don't know how they got thrown into this) artistic worth actually addresses the original question the OP raised.

Whatever your views on any of the artists involved or somehow related, the question at hand still exists. If I were able to watch the video right now, perhaps I could comment intelligently; that said, many times people will use the technique that was described earlier, patching one output (or sending the single output to a mix, splitting that off, doing some effect work one leg of that signal, and then patching that back into the external input, and making use of the filter and modulations to further affect the output. Using a Mic would likely involve a mic (duh) and a preamp/DI or mixer, and likely some effects chain before routing back into the external input.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:29 pm

masstronaut wrote:Don't think anyone's really explained what he's doing there though.

It does seem to be affecting pitch so it could be a mic through an envelope follower into pitch cv, or a kazoo. ;-)
Overdriving the external input can do some funny things to pitch. Ever tried this using the old VCO feedback trick?

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Em Pe Ge
Gear: Akai MPC1000, Moog Slim Phatty, Roland Alpha Juno 1, Animoog (via iRig midi), Ableton Live, Reason.

Post by Em Pe Ge » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:43 am

The Beastie Boys are hip-hop legends, and always will be. If you don't like them, you probably don't like hip-hop. Which is fine, but to say it sucks.. is simply ignorant.

Modern day "rap" music might suck... (lil wayne, drake, whoever else the kids listen to these days)

But the Beasties came from a golden age of hip-hop music.. and contributed GREATLY to the culture and dynamic that is hip hop music.

As far as The Beasties/hip hop in general being relevant to electronic music in general.. ever heard of a sampler? As far as this segment being relevant to Moog.. dude is playing a Moog. and it's just a very short section of a full length doc.

Regardless, i thought the documentary was good, and informative.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:45 am

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
masstronaut wrote:Don't think anyone's really explained what he's doing there though.

Overdriving the external input can do some funny things to pitch. Ever tried this using the old VCO feedback trick?

Stephen
My Model D is at the mender's so I can't try it right now. ;-)

Did you watch the vid though, it's not a subtle effect. Anyway I think it's a kazoo as ColorForm2113 and I already surmised.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:41 am

If Lars Ulrich says "Napster sucks" then everyone repeats that "Metallica says Napster sucks" not "a single member of metallica voiced his opinion".