Money Mark's Minimoog Trick

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Re: Money Mark's Minimoog Trick

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:47 am

Em Pe Ge wrote:The Beastie Boys are hip-hop legends, and always will be. If you don't like them, you probably don't like hip-hop. [...]
I generally don´t like hip-hop. That´s why I don´t like Beastie Boys. I don´t like Bavarian folk music either.
masstronaut wrote:[...] Did you watch the vid though, it's not a subtle effect. Anyway I think it's a kazoo as ColorForm2113 and I already surmised.
When the input is overdriven, it´s never subtle -- when the overload light stays on constantly, the pitch will warble and produce all sorts of artefacts. Massive mayhem.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:29 pm

No, fair enough - but you will didn't watch the video did you? ;-)

Pitch is going up and down like the Assyrian empire. (thanks google auto-complete for that erudite variation on the bride's nightie.)

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:22 pm

We all should Fight for Your Right to have differing opinions...
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:26 pm

He's just making noise into a cheap mic. The distortion is coming from overloading the mic with noise. Do it into any mic into any input and you'd get similar. No kazoo.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:50 pm

I haven't watched that DVD in a while, but doesn't he specify what he is plugging it into?
I recall him going on about "how this trick will blow your minds, and half of you will run home to try it yourselves before we are finished."
I thought he also mentioned if he was plugging into pitch CV or ext in?
Too bad all my mics are XLR. I can't try it myself.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:24 am

calaverasgrande wrote:I haven't watched that DVD in a while, but doesn't he specify what he is plugging it into?
I recall him going on about "how this trick will blow your minds, and half of you will run home to try it yourselves before we are finished."
If they have detachable cables, you can just get an XLR-to-1/4 cable that will plug into the back panel jacks.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:44 am

MrFrodo wrote:
calaverasgrande wrote:I haven't watched that DVD in a while, but doesn't he specify what he is plugging it into?
If they have detachable cables, you can just get an XLR-to-1/4 cable that will plug into the back panel jacks.
you would probably have to use an impedance converter. Most XLR plug mics are 100-300 ohms. Most 1/4" plug mics are 15k-20k. I am not positive it makes a difference. But I would be thinking the higher impedance would be more typical.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

mute

Post by mute » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:35 am

Money Mark <3

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:24 am

I thought you crusty synth f**k would love the beastie boys.

weeeowow we we we wowoeoeoeow woewoeoo dwowowowowowowoowow

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:23 am

calaverasgrande wrote:
MrFrodo wrote:
you would probably have to use an impedance converter. Most XLR plug mics are 100-300 ohms. Most 1/4" plug mics are 15k-20k. I am not positive it makes a difference. But I would be thinking the higher impedance would be more typical.
Lower impedance into higher impedance = not a problem.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:03 pm

at least we can mostly agree that the Moog film was pretty dull and something of a missed opportunity

since the feedback trick has been explained already,
re: Beastie Boys

naysayers: many non- Americans and specifically Europeans simply don't/can't get the Beasties.
It's totally OK if it's doesn't appeal to you.
But to nayasay?...the thing is, Check Your Head will outlive your grandchildren's grandchildren, and still almost certainly be better than all yours and your offsprings' music put together, whether you realize it or not.
And I don't even have to mention the influence of Paul's Botique. It is every bit or MORE important than Endtroducing or whatever electronic music album you care to name in the last 30 years;; not an exaggeration.

btw hip-hop IS electronic music. how someone could fail to notice is... :roll:

some people just don't have enough fun in life, and consequently feel the need to not let others simply be that are having fun

"and everybody knows....fun rules." :mrgreen:
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:19 pm

and yes you can do it on a Voyager, but it won't "sound the same" because a Voyager doesn't sound the same as a model D and your voice is your voice
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:26 pm

shaft9000 wrote:at least we can mostly agree that the Moog film was pretty dull and something of a missed opportunity

since the feedback trick has been explained already,
re: Beastie Boys

naysayers: many non- Americans and specifically Europeans simply don't/can't get the Beasties.
It's totally OK if it's doesn't appeal to you.
But to nayasay?...the thing is, Check Your Head will outlive your grandchildren's grandchildren, and still almost certainly be better than all yours and your offsprings' music put together, whether you realize it or not.
And I don't even have to mention the influence of Paul's Botique. It is every bit or MORE important than Endtroducing or whatever electronic music album you care to name in the last 30 years;; not an exaggeration.

btw hip-hop IS electronic music. how someone could fail to notice is... :roll:

some people just don't have enough fun in life, and consequently feel the need to not let others simply be that are having fun

"and everybody knows....fun rules." :mrgreen:
I'll admit I used to raelly despise the Beastie Boys. But then I used to do a lot of work with the various University Co-Ops and their entertainment committees. So I got quite overexposed to the college sophomore taste in music.
Years later I still don't like RHCP, Rage Against the Machine or Smashmouth. But the Beastie Boys certainly got more interesting over time. Pauls Boutique is no "Fight for your Right to Party".

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:00 pm

I was more into Rage against the Machine at the time, but their repetitive shouty lyrics get old after a while.
Beastie boys have more meaningful lyrics, not so "revolutionary war"-ish. RHCP I never liked.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:26 pm

shaft9000 wrote: [...] btw hip-hop IS electronic music. [...]
That´s right, and so is Karlheinz Stockhausen.

Never been too keen on his music either.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/