Money Mark's Minimoog Trick

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sweep

Re: Money Mark's Minimoog Trick

Post by Sweep » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:24 pm

So the consensus is that this Money Mark guy made noises into a cheap mic and he could have used any mic and any input, pretty much.

And yet he claims this is the coolest thing you can do with a Moog. And people wonder why some of us doubt his relevance to a Moog video.

I return to the response my friend and I both had to Money Mark and the Moog video in general - :lol:
Free the Jupiter 8!

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:08 am

Sweep wrote:So the consensus is that this Money Mark guy made noises into a cheap mic and he could have used any mic and any input, pretty much.

And yet he claims this is the coolest thing you can do with a Moog. And people wonder why some of us doubt his relevance to a Moog video.

I return to the response my friend and I both had to Money Mark and the Moog video in general - :lol:
Money Mark sucks.... :lol:

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:42 pm

Choose one of the following:

a) Money Mark is a spent force.

b) Money Mark is inflated.

c) Money Mark is counterfeit.

(Couldn't resist. ;) )
Free the Jupiter 8!

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:46 pm

I am so happy about the can of worms I've opened here.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:59 pm

shaft9000 wrote:hip-hop IS electronic music. how someone could fail to notice is... :roll:
That may be so, but that doesn't necessarily make it good electronic music.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

mute

Post by mute » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:10 am

video aside and cup of tea or not, the hating here is absurd. next time someone starts up a thread about vangelis, emmerson, wakeman, etc. people should return the favor.

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:31 am

Poor Money Mark :cry:

I think he was playing to the camera a bit in the Moog documentary. As others said it seems he had just plugged a shitty little mic into the mini's external input, possibly through a distortion pedal or something.

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:55 am

mute wrote:video aside and cup of tea or not, the hating here is absurd. next time someone starts up a thread about vangelis, emmerson, wakeman, etc. people should return the favor.
I don't think you've understood the issue here. It isn't about `hating'. I don't think any of us hate Money Mark. Personally I don't - I quite honestly couldn't give a toss about him. What this is about is the very poor quality of a video that's supposed to be about Moog. Money Mark can peddle his rubbish as much as he likes, but making silly noises and claiming they're the coolest thing you can do with a Moog is a complete waste of people's time and money. As I said before, my Moog playing friend and I just laughed at him and at much of the video as a whole. We didn't hate. We just recognised rubbish when we saw it.

Or look at it the other way: there are plenty of people I don't hate at all, and actually like a lot. But if they were on a Moog video they'd be in the wrong place. Even though Money Mark is obviously a complete tosser, this isn't about hating.
Free the Jupiter 8!

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:14 pm

Sweep wrote:
mute wrote:video aside and cup of tea or not, the hating here is absurd. next time someone starts up a thread about vangelis, emmerson, wakeman, etc. people should return the favor.
I don't think you've understood the issue here. It isn't about `hating'. I don't think any of us hate Money Mark. Personally I don't - I quite honestly couldn't give a toss about him. What this is about is the very poor quality of a video that's supposed to be about Moog. Money Mark can peddle his rubbish as much as he likes, but making silly noises and claiming they're the coolest thing you can do with a Moog is a complete waste of people's time and money. As I said before, my Moog playing friend and I just laughed at him and at much of the video as a whole. We didn't hate. We just recognised rubbish when we saw it.

Or look at it the other way: there are plenty of people I don't hate at all, and actually like a lot. But if they were on a Moog video they'd be in the wrong place. Even though Money Mark is obviously a complete tosser, this isn't about hating.
I don't believe you are as self-aware as you might think.

Surely you can't expect anyone to take you seriously, stating it's not about hating someone whilst calling one a tosser.
Regardless, while you can debate whether it's the coolest thing you can do with a minimoog, the amount of vitriol aimed at Money Mark (some to the point of comical) has no place in a thread where someone is simply asking about technique.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:23 pm

The moog documentary wasn't that bad anyway Image

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:40 pm

mute wrote:video aside and cup of tea or not, the hating here is absurd. [...]
"Hate" ist such a strong word. After all, you have to "love" something first if you want to hate it.

Interestingly, as soon as people voice their opinion about Emerson or Wakeman, the bashing is quite the same if their opinion is not welcome with the opinion leaders.

Don´t you pee at my totem!

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:49 pm

I opened up this discussion because I personally like what Mark did during that clip. That's my opinion.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:30 pm

silikon wrote:Surely you can't expect anyone to take you seriously, stating it's not about hating someone whilst calling one a tosser.

Regardless, while you can debate whether it's the coolest thing you can do with a minimoog, the amount of vitriol aimed at Money Mark (some to the point of comical) has no place in a thread where someone is simply asking about technique.
It's perfectly simple. I don't hate someone for being a tosser. And surely we've established in this discussion that Money Mark didn't know what he was talking about - indeed, shouting about as if he'd discovered something momentous - which makes him tosser, doesn't it?

This isn't just a topic where someone is asking about technique. Someone asked whether other people find the Moog video as bad as they found it. So we've discussed that.
Free the Jupiter 8!

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cumulus » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:44 pm

Sweep wrote:
silikon wrote:Surely you can't expect anyone to take you seriously, stating it's not about hating someone whilst calling one a tosser.

It's perfectly simple. I don't hate someone for being a tosser. And surely we've established in this discussion that Money Mark didn't know what he was talking about - indeed, shouting about as if he'd discovered something momentous - which makes him tosser, doesn't it?

This isn't just a topic where someone is asking about technique. Someone asked whether other people find the Moog video as bad as they found it. So we've discussed that.
Why is it not OK to hate someone? Or to say they are a tosser, a wanker, a no-talent hack, etc?

Are we to act as if all music is good and all musicians are equally talented and relevant?

Every kid gets a trophy, huh?

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cumulus » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:53 pm

I've just done a bit of internet research on this Money Mark person and I have come to the conclusion that I completely misjudged him and his talent level.

After some reflection I can honestly say that his influence on music and society in general will be felt long after people have forgotten all about Beethoven, Mozart, John Coltrane, the Beatles, the Monkees, and Ke$ha.

Please accept my apologies for my disparaging remarks about the man, his character, and his immense musical talent.

Better?