Money Mark's Minimoog Trick

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Re: Money Mark's Minimoog Trick

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:41 pm

Too bad I missed this earlier in the discussion, but as to the second topic brought up in this thread, "Does the Moog doc suck?", I have to say I was not too impressed with it. It could be I wasn't in the target audience. But I couldn't really tell who was the target audience. It was poorly structured and I couldn't really tell what the film maker was trying to say with it. The synthy parts were pretty disappointing to me, because I honestly couldn't care less about watching Rick Wakeman noodle away doing 70s prog rock. I will take the Beasties over Rick any day.

I think the most disappointing thing, the "missed opportunity" in the film is that Moog's synths were never really explained or demonstrated anywhere near their true potential.

In the end, the movie was really just a meandering portrait of an aging Bob Moog and a couple artists who use his inventions. It might have gotten tagged as "The" Moog documentary, but that's a shame. I hope someone does his inventions justice, more like the Theremin doc from 1994. That was really cool--personal, but also about the impact of Leo Termen's invention and the effect it had on the world. And I think Moog was interviewed on that one too.

But who will do it? Who will make THE Moog documentary that rabid synthaholics want to see? Someone on this forum? Dubious. Not me, that's for sure.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:52 pm

MrFrodo wrote:Greetings fellow earthlings,

(This topic may already have been visited.)

For those of you who have seen the Moog documentary from nine years ago, can any of you tell me which input on the back panel of the Minimoog D Money Mark plugged the microphone into to get that crazy pitch trigger effect? Can it be done with a Voyager?
Sweep wrote: This isn't just a topic where someone is asking about technique. Someone asked whether other people find the Moog video as bad as they found it. So we've discussed that.
...which is actually, the bloody topic at hand -- at least up until you lot decided to hijack the thread on your judgemental tirade that essentially advanced the OP not one iota. Proper work, that.

My comments about this thread not being THE PLACE for disparaging remarks stands. The OP asked questions of the actual technique, not to have your trite doctoral dissertation on why Money Mark should hop in a pond, or any relevance of the f**k documentary in your obviously humble opinion.
Cumulus wrote:Better?
ignoring your condescension... No.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:30 pm

silikon wrote:...which is actually, the bloody topic at hand -- at least up until you lot decided to hijack the thread on your judgemental tirade that essentially advanced the OP not one iota. Proper work, that.
The OP's question had already been thoroughly addressed, and the topic had already significantly drifted. It happens.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:19 am

Cumulus wrote:I've just done a bit of internet research on this Money Mark person and I have come to the conclusion that I completely misjudged him and his talent level.

After some reflection I can honestly say that his influence on music and society in general will be felt long after people have forgotten all about Beethoven, Mozart, John Coltrane, the Beatles, the Monkees, and Ke$ha.

Please accept my apologies for my disparaging remarks about the man, his character, and his immense musical talent.

Better?
bahaha can't believe an adult typed this s**t

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:52 pm

I actually liked some of Money Marks music and have a couple of albums although I have not listened to any for a long time. I think the docu was trying to appeal to the average person and dumb the geekyness down a bit. Instead of using "this has a 24db ladder filter" they decided to go with "I like this knob cus it goes WOOOOOOWWWWWWOOOWW".
of course this is going to annoy people like us because they are not using relevant people and phrases that we can relate to it seems like they have done a poor job.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:33 am

My point is, why do any of you care who likes or hates Money Mark (or any other artist)?

When did it become not OK to say you think someone's music sucks?

A forum where you can't say "so and so sucks" would not be very interesting.

Every kid does not deserve a trophy.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:55 am

People are upset about people expressing dislike for Money Mark/the Beastie Boys/hip-hop because it's just not funny when it's your sacred cows getting gored...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:28 pm

commodorejohn wrote:People are upset about people expressing dislike for Money Mark/the Beastie Boys/hip-hop because it's just not funny when it's your sacred cows getting gored...
Yummy... holy cows (insert picture of dribbling Homer Simpson here).

Great when barbecued, with a hot sauce, coleslaw, and baked potatoes to go with them.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:21 pm

The technique money mark demonstrated - he digs it, its creativity, it's positive. It's not like he's bludgeoning someone to death with a minimoog. Live and let live, Y'know?

Cumulus, you're welcome to act like a j**k but it does you no favours. Seriously, go hug your lady or do something loving rather than just contribute more s**t to the Internet cesspool.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:47 pm

Yeah but he's right about Kesha, she's a dirty s**t!

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:10 pm

Cumulus wrote:Ke$ha sucks...
Who and what she does in her own private time is none of our business :lol:

Such a great thread this. lol

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cumulus » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:07 pm

monolith wrote:The technique money mark demonstrated - he digs it, its creativity, it's positive. It's not like he's bludgeoning someone to death with a minimoog. Live and let live, Y'know?

Cumulus, you're welcome to act like a j**k but it does you no favours. Seriously, go hug your lady or do something loving rather than just contribute more s**t to the Internet cesspool.
Fair enough.

I do reserve the right to say someone or something sucks, though.

A lot of stuff sucks.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:28 am

commodorejohn wrote:People are upset about people expressing dislike for Money Mark/the Beastie Boys/hip-hop because it's just not funny when it's your sacred cows getting gored...
Nah I'm just allergic to s**t taste. You can c**p all over any artist I like go for it.
Cumulus wrote: Ke$ha sucks, too.

Ke$ha's great though.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cumulus » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:39 am

I have seen Ke$ha speak and she sometimes seems smart. Sometimes just batshit crazy.

I hear her v****a is haunted.

She also shocked it with a power tool.